*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

9 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

I guess this has to do a little bit with what is being discussed, but what ever happened to the gameworn.net page?  It was very active back when I used to collect gamers.  I them sold my collection and just this last year or two have made my way back to collecting jerseys.  When I went back to that website, it was a ghost town.  Did something go down that caused everyone to leave?  I used to live on that website, much like I do on this one now.

It became a ghost town for two reasons:

1) People moved to FB because it was easier to join (didn't have to make a phone call to someone between very particular hours to get your account approved) and it is more accessible.

2) About 2 years ago GW.net sent an email/notice out that they were going to change things up and start charging to join their website.  This pretty much made the bulk of posters that was left to move over to the groups on FB.  A few days later GW.net switched gears and went back on charging people to use the website, but the damage was already done.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Devilsguy said:

2) About 2 years ago GW.net sent an email/notice out that they were going to change things up and start charging to join their website.  This pretty much made the bulk of posters that was left to move over to the groups on FB.  A few days later GW.net switched gears and went back on charging people to use the website, but the damage was already done.

That was a stupid idea!  No one will pay for something that you can get for free if the experience is similar.  Remember this icejerseys!!!

If anybody wants a lesson on how to destroy a once popular forum just look at what gameworn.net did.

9 hours ago, TMLFAN said:

If anybody wants a lesson on how to destroy a once popular forum just look at what gameworn.net did.

They just hastened the inevitable when they put out that notice about charging people just to use it.  It was already dying at that time as fewer and fewer people were using it every year.  Facebook and it's ease of use and access is what really killed it in the long run.

11 hours ago, TMLFAN said:

The collectors destroyed that forum more then it's ownership did. It was always simple to register and not always a pain in the Arse under new ownership. Those safeguards were put in place because of the collectors' behaviors. The same thing is going to happen to the main facebook group sooner or later, too.

It wasn't annoying me much before, but now it is starting to with the pucks being in a game worn jersey group.

2 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

It wasn't annoying me much before, but now it is starting to with the pucks being in a game worn jersey group.

That guy making reproduction Cup banners annoys me more then pucks. But yet there he is time after time without anyone saying a word or a mod deleting the post.

32 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Lately, these jersey groups are becoming more dominated by sticks, pucks, and pictures of boxes that we all get to guess what is in them. 

Lame. 

Edited by thebiggoalie

27 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

Lately, these jersey groups are becoming more dominated by sticks, pucks, and pictures of boxes that we all get to guess what is in them. 

Lame. 

Next new arrival I get, I am posting at least 5 pictures of the unopened package in the New Arrivals thread.

2 hours ago, RedWings1992 said:

The collectors destroyed that forum more then it's ownership did. It was always simple to register and not always a pain in the Arse under new ownership. Those safeguards were put in place because of the collectors' behaviors. The same thing is going to happen to the main facebook group sooner or later, too.

The asking for the $10 yearly fee is what killed it. They are obnoxious guys to begin with and the additional greed angle is what did them in with regards to the forum. I am also less likely to bid on one of their auctions than any other due to their attitude and lousy customer service. 

i don't know what the big deal with the facebooks groups is, I just scroll right past things I am not interested in. I find some of the posts more amusing than anything and I kind of enjoy watching some people's continued stupidity.

44 minutes ago, lhg39 said:

The asking for the $10 yearly fee is what killed it. They are obnoxious guys to begin with and the additional greed angle is what did them in with regards to the forum. I am also less likely to bid on one of their auctions than any other due to their attitude and lousy customer service. 

i don't know what the big deal with the facebooks groups is, I just scroll right past things I am not interested in. I find some of the posts more amusing than anything and I kind of enjoy watching some people's continued stupidity.

Before them trying to charge a fee, the hoops you had to jump through to join were brought on by people who were using multiple log in's to start trouble, re-joining when banned, and bad sellers. It was an attempt to ID. I can't really fault them for doing that. There was a time when gameworn was not for the faint of heart. I think people have issues with the facebook groups because there is too much that dumbs down the hobby. It's also another place where the same old destructive behavior is present. 

2 hours ago, RedWings1992 said:

Before them trying to charge a fee, the hoops you had to jump through to join were brought on by people who were using multiple log in's to start trouble, re-joining when banned, and bad sellers. It was an attempt to ID. I can't really fault them for doing that. There was a time when gameworn was not for the faint of heart. I think people have issues with the facebook groups because there is too much that dumbs down the hobby. It's also another place where the same old destructive behavior is present. 

The intent might have been good, but their execution was extremely poor. Those guys just have terrible customer service. They are the ARod in that area compared to Jeter.

14 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

Are you really going to goto these guys over trusted names in the biz?

You mean like the trusted customer service from "Midwest Sports Lettering?"

RIP Rooney. 

Just now, thebiggoalie said:

RIP Rooney. 

Hey FuriousD, did you ever get you jerseys back from him?  I know you had issues with that Sharks jersey he had for about a year.

That guy sucked so much trying to get the Blue Jackets jersey I bought from him, I did finally get it though.  Ironically, you have that jersey now.

3 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

Hey FuriousD, did you ever get you jerseys back from him?  I know you had issues with that Sharks jersey he had for about a year.

That guy sucked so much trying to get the Blue Jackets jersey I bought from him, I did finally get it though.  Ironically, you have that jersey now.

No, I never got them back.  I gave up after several months of badgering went unacknowledged, and I had exhausted all of the options I could think of.  The whole thing was so stupid.  It might have made me feel a bit better had he just been a straight-up scammer, actually.  But sometimes people actually got their stuff, like you did.  I've enjoyed the Blue Jackets, BTW, but I totally understand why you didn't want it anymore.  I finally decided not to do a replacement Sharks, because it would remind me too much of that turd. 

51 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

RIP Rooney. 

Screw that kid.... had to Facebook his mother and mention police possible lawsuit small claims court for him to message me back and send me my cash back never did get my 2 jerseys back from him, guess if I ever do make it out to Illinois I might drop by his house 

21 minutes ago, Cash said:

Screw that kid.... had to Facebook his mother and mention police possible lawsuit small claims court for him to message me back and send me my cash back never did get my 2 jerseys back from him, guess if I ever do make it out to Illinois I might drop by his house 

That's how we do in NYC....

12 hours ago, Cash said:

Bahahahahaha.  The stories around him were always rather entertaining to say the least (though obviously not to those he scammed).

I think he was just an eager kid who got way in over his head pretty quickly and couldn't man up to tell his customers he messed up.  Doesn't mean he shouldn't have had to make things right though.

lol i start to open my mouth in the FB group (which is rare for me) and already I am getting attacked for it.  Now I remember why I post maybe one or two things a month in that main group.

8 minutes ago, RedWings1992 said:

Why are people so secretive or unwilling to share about what they won last night? It's going to be posted anyway most likely so what's the secret? 

I think people just rather not share prices that they have paid.  I am a little hesitant to post it for the same reason.  Honestly, I think I overpaid a little and am ashamed haha.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

lol i start to open my mouth in the FB group (which is rare for me) and already I am getting attacked for it. 

Ugh, looks like some people are just looking for a fight.