*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

4 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

It is $600 and up.  I won a prize last year that was worth about $500 and I had to sign the tax forms and on there it is said that anything over $599 for the year I would have a tax liability on.

Rare, but every once in a while, I know what I'm talking about. 

Not that I don't pretend I do all the time...

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The monthly "how do I store my jerseys" thread is back.

Also back is the bi-weekly "should I get my jeeeys autographed or not?" thread.

50 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

The monthly "how do I store my jerseys" thread is back.

Also back is the bi-weekly "should I get my jeeeys autographed or not?" thread.

You noticed that too?

And the follow-up question: how do I remove an autograph?

2 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

You noticed that too?

And the follow-up question: how do I remove an autograph?

To be fair I think the storage/move jersey question comes out of other hobbies like comic or card collecting where everything has to be treated with kid gloves.  I think some of these people just either forgot or don't understand these jerseys were worn in a professional game in a full-contact sport and took a decent amount of abuse.

As for the autograph question, I am beginning to think it is mostly asked by newer questions as a way to "break the ice" so to speak.  They are afraid of asking a dumb question so they default to that as it always seems to generate a long number of responses.  Problem is, these threads pop up 2-3 times a month now it seems.

Autograph removal is slowly creeping their way up more and more.  Surprised I actually don't see it more.

We should start giving funny answers to the storage question.

I put them in a ziplock, full it with water, and toss it in a meat freezer in my basement. If it can preserve a Woolly Mammoth's poop, ice is good enough for me!!

Edited by mfitz804

Interested Buyer: I will absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, no questions asked, take that jersey at asking price! What payment do you accept?

Hopeful Seller: Sure, I take PayPal. 

IB: oh sorry. I don't have PayPal. 

HS: do you have a friend with a PayPal account that can pay me?

IB: oh sorry. I can't do that either. 

HS: okay. I can take a money order or check. 

IB: *gone without a trace. 

Anyone who is looking to buy something from an individual online without having a PayPal account should probably be avoided. It's 2017, get a PayPal account. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone who is looking to buy something from an individual online without having a PayPal account should probably be avoided. It's 2017, get a PayPal account. 

You would think that, but I've sold at least 2-3 decently expensive jerseys by getting checks in the mail. Don't shut yourself out if you can avoid it.

Re: Money Orders and Checks:

They are annoying, but I have done two deals over the last year or so with those.  Both with the same seller who preferred them and both for higher end jerseys (combined a little over $2,000).  As a seller while I do not prefer them, for higher end stuff I will make exceptions on forms of payments.  I tell my sellers if they pay with check I will send it once it clears or if they send a certified check or money order I sent it as soon as I receive the check or MO.

To me what's more annoying is when I tell someone to send my payment as a gift (friends and family) and they send it as goods and services instead.  Happened to me recently but it was on a $15 item so just shrugged it off.

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Re: Money Orders and Checks:

They are annoying, but I have done two deals over the last year or so with those.  Both with the same seller who preferred them and both for higher end jerseys (combined a little over $2,000).  As a seller while I do not prefer them, for higher end stuff I will make exceptions on forms of payments.  I tell my sellers if they pay with check I will send it once it clears or if they send a certified check or money order I sent it as soon as I receive the check or MO.

To me what's more annoying is when I tell someone to send my payment as a gift (friends and family) and they send it as goods and services instead.  Happened to me recently but it was on a $15 item so just shrugged it off.

If you have a checking account, you can send the money through PayPal from that account, eliminating the need to write a check. I don't even write checks for my bills anymore, unless it's a vendor that doesn't accept electronic payments (I have one or two). 

If you shop online, and not just shop st stores but on forums and eBay, just register for a PayPal account. I can't think of a valid reason not to, especially since it's free on the buyer's end. 

I'm not sure I'd reject a buyer based on them stating they don't have a Paypal account, but it would definitely make me suspicious. If they were acting weird in other ways, I'd probably pass. 

Or, obviously, if it's someone I knew, I'd have no issue with it. 

Regarding friends and family, I don't insist on it because I don't want to make someone uncomfortable. But if it's someone who I'm internet-friendly with, like through this site, I generally expect it will be done that way without saying.

And I must say, I don't recall it ever happening that someone from this site paid me by goods and services. 

45 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

Plus, with PayPal, you get PayPal Credit and six months financing on anything over $99 is worthwhile.

This is very true. But, some people do have objections to buying things on credit, and if that's the case, I totally understand. But, the ability to pay from your checking account makes it the same thing as mailing a check, except that its instant and based on the technology that exists in 2017 (and, I may add, for many years before that). 

On a recent $300 transaction, PP credit gave me the option of the usual 6 months, no payment, no interest, or a fixed monthly payment for 12 months  with a reduced interest rate, total of $324 and change. That works out to about 8% by my math, which is way better than you'd get from a traditional credit card if you paid over the same period. 

I stuck with the 6 month plan as per my norm. 

10 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

Looking for size 48 jerseys...complete with fight strap...again. 

I know I finally said enough is enough ,you can post it once and then bump not ever time do you need to make a new listing .BLOCKED THIS GUY 

1 minute ago, furiousd said:

He could have a great success rate on those requests, for all I know. But it just comes across as always shopping, never buying.

He does not have good success and he is as cheap as FUC% I sent him pics for certain things he was looking for and listing on eBay  

15 minutes ago, cowboys said:

He does not have good success and he is as cheap as FUC% I sent him pics for certain things he was looking for and listing on eBay  

Almost every time I post something on eBay, he contacts me to ask if I have a blue, size 48 Winnipeg Jets jersey, which has nothing to do with the jerseys I'm auctioning off.  I have seen plenty of blue, size 48 Winnipeg jets jerseys on eBay for around $200 or less, and if he still hasn't bitten the bullet, he must really not want one that badly. 

Also, he hijacks every thread when somebody post they have jerseys for sale asking if they have anything in a size 48..."complete with fight strap".

Everyone just tell him you have lots of size 48 jerseys but unfortunately none are complete with fight strap.

Sorry. All I have are size 46 and 50's. nothing in between. Also, my fight straps are complete with jerseys.