*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason # 78326121 why the hobby should move away from FB.

I got kicked out of a small hockey jersey & memorabilia group yesterday.  This was because a guy was razzing off awful knockoffs with 12 spots at $10 a piece.  So he was collecting $120 per on a jersey that cost him about $30.  I pointed out how 1) they are knockoffs (he wasn't upfront about that part at first) and 2) how much money he is making off of razzing fakes.

So it looks like he complained to the admins and the admins wrote a post taking his side saying that because he was "upfront" about them being "not authentic" (this was after me and several others pointed out the other day his jerseys are knockoffs) that they will allow him to continue.  I took them to task for it and got predictably kicked.

FB is probably the worst venue/platform for this hobby.  A lot of the groups on there are only as good as the mods and a lot of these groups have shifty or terrible mods/admins who don't care about being a mod/admin but care more that they have the title.

To be honest, I don’t know why anybody goes on Facebook for anything now, let alone for how it’s ruined a large part of the hobby. You will always fight an uphill battle against constant ignorance on there.

2 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

To be honest, I don’t know why anybody goes on Facebook for anything now, let alone for how it’s ruined a large part of the hobby. You will always fight an uphill battle against constant ignorance on there.

It's still where a large chunk of the hobby is located, unfortunately.  It's basically FB and reddit these days.  Forums, which I think are still the best format for this hobby, are pretty much non-existent.

Funny, I was kicked out of a group a year or two ago for the same reason. Admin didn’t seem to care that people were selling knockoffs and didn’t understand why I was making a big deal out of it. 

I’m part of a few groups simply out of necessity. That’s the primary place Blackhawks gamers are sold. Or were sold. Team hasn’t released anything since the 19-20 season which is frustrating as all hell 

For me FB is sort of chaotic. There is no real form of structured information.

I joined reddit a couple of days ago, but I have to get used to where to find the interesting topics. Pure necessity, because every now and then I like to read and learn a lot about hockey jerseys. But I am still getting the most information here, even when it’s from many moons ago.

Thanks to this forum I know a little how to filter information on the FB groups. 
Mostly it’s just scrolling to find out (or head scratch) about actual market prices and enjoy some of the conversations where valuable (jersey/patch) details are pointed out to people. 

On 3/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, mdwsta4 said:

Funny, I was kicked out of a group a year or two ago for the same reason. Admin didn’t seem to care that people were selling knockoffs and didn’t understand why I was making a big deal out of it. 

I’m part of a few groups simply out of necessity. That’s the primary place Blackhawks gamers are sold. Or were sold. Team hasn’t released anything since the 19-20 season which is frustrating as all hell 

Was it that group that Rudock runs?

20 hours ago, Silverback53 said:

For me FB is sort of chaotic. There is no real form of structured information.

I joined reddit a couple of days ago, but I have to get used to where to find the interesting topics. Pure necessity, because every now and then I like to read and learn a lot about hockey jerseys. But I am still getting the most information here, even when it’s from many moons ago.

Thanks to this forum I know a little how to filter information on the FB groups. 
Mostly it’s just scrolling to find out (or head scratch) about actual market prices and enjoy some of the conversations where valuable (jersey/patch) details are pointed out to people. 

Reddit is chaotic as it's everything on one subreddit.  As someone who doesn't collect replicas, it's a bit to sift through before finding things I want to find.

7 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Was it that group that Rudock runs?

no clue who ran it. IIRC it was Chicago specific 

7 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Reddit is chaotic as it's everything on one subreddit.  As someone who doesn't collect replicas, it's a bit to sift through before finding things I want to find.

Yeah the Reddit forum is 85% junk, 15% quality. But that’s also coming from someone who doesn’t collect reps/Indos and doesn’t use the word ‘grail’ 

The nice thing about r/hockeyjerseys is at least they don't allow fakes. That's more than can be said for some other places.

I was definitely glad to see r/kitswap adopt that rule a couple of years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Man, the amount of scammers getting into the game worn and authentic jersey FB groups has gotten a little out of hand the last 5-6 months.  I feel like every week there is another one.  Almost all claim to have a game worn for sale at a ridiculous price (and always in great condition/no rips) and using photos stolen from other people's listings on eBay.

17 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Man, the amount of scammers getting into the game worn and authentic jersey FB groups has gotten a little out of hand the last 5-6 months.  I feel like every week there is another one.  Almost all claim to have a game worn for sale at a ridiculous price (and always in great condition/no rips) and using photos stolen from other people's listings on eBay.

Indeed. Every day a post in the Bad Jersey Sellers/Traders group. And always the same MO. Jumping in on the 'ISO' posts. Luckily almost every jersey pic is recognized as 'stolen'.

• 3 weeks later...

So it seems like the prevailing conventional wisdom through most of the non-game worn FB groups and reddit is that any seller wanting/insisting on F&F are likely scammers.  When did this happen?

There was a post in the under $150 jersey group where a guy posted a PM with a seller where the seller would only do the deal via F&F and didn't want to go through the time of providing references/vouches.  Immediately the response is that the seller is or likely is a scammer.  I think it is still too vague to make any proclamations either way and I see this happening quite a bit over the years within those sections of the jersey collecting world.  I may be wrong here, but I see this more as the seller putting up his terms/boundries and the buyer not feeling comfortable about that.  Is that enough to call someone a scammer rather than just a buyer and seller not being able to come to a deal?

The solution is simple. I want $X for the jersey. Doesn’t matter if it’s f&f or you cover the fees as long as I net $X. Since there’s no protection I could see someone being suspicious but there shouldn’t be any reason the seller wouldn’t allow the buyer to cover the fees and be okay with it. 

5 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

The solution is simple. I want $X for the jersey. Doesn’t matter if it’s f&f or you cover the fees as long as I net $X. Since there’s no protection I could see someone being suspicious but there shouldn’t be any reason the seller wouldn’t allow the buyer to cover the fees and be okay with it. 

Some buyers are unwilling to cover the fees and some sellers just don't want the ball to be fully in the buyers court via G&S.  I just think the current majority view that F&F is almost automatically a red flag/possible scammer is a bit silly and the word scammer is thrown around way too much in the hobby.  Hell, half the posts in the bad seller/trader group are just people who are pissy that a deal wasn't done and not really an issue of someone being scammed.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:20 AM, Devilsguy said:

There was a post in the under $150 jersey group where a guy posted a PM with a seller where the seller would only do the deal via F&F

Keep in mind too that money received via Paypal as F&F does not show up on the 1099-MISC that Paypal sends you at year end. That's one reason why some sellers are strictly accepting F&F... although they really should have documentation of what they bought the jersey for. In the end, most of us just wash out on profit/loss when moving stuff, I believe.

• 8 months later...

Not Facebook, but my new favorite thing is looking at hockey jersey accounts on IG and some of the names on there.  I get a big kick when I see account names like "Emperorofalljerseycollectors123" and it's six replica jerseys.