*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

On 5/15/2020 at 8:50 AM, Phil the Thrill said:

Yep. Mine has been stuck at sent for further processing since Monday night. And my expectation is It'll be like for 2 weeks

Forgot about this .... my jersey arrived May 20!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, furiousd said:

No duty from the customs review, I take it?

Nope...but with the shipping cost would have felt like it had the seller not graciously split it with me!

On 4/23/2020 at 6:59 PM, NYIJM29 said:

Has anyone noticed a recent uptick in people in Game Worn Jersey Groups where people are trying to peddle their authentics and replicas? 

So not sure what has been going on, but now I am seeing a ton of this happening in the last 2-3 weeks.

Saw over the weekend that GWA are skipping their Spring Auction for this year and will have their next auction in the fall.  From their email it seems like a lot of their consignors provided feedback that they would rather put off the auction and wait for the fall due the coronavirus situation.

Does this strike as odd for anyone else?  Classic recently stated that this is their best start to their auctions ever (and from a few lots I have checked out this seems the case) and I have found that buying and selling for me personally has been brisker than usual.  I sold a couple of jerseys in the last month within a couple of hours that I know in other times would have taken days or even weeks.

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Saw over the weekend that GWA are skipping their Spring Auction for this year and will have their next auction in the fall.  From their email it seems like a lot of their consignors provided feedback that they would rather put off the auction and wait for the fall due the coronavirus situation.

Does this strike as odd for anyone else?  Classic recently stated that this is their best start to their auctions ever (and from a few lots I have checked out this seems the case) and I have found that buying and selling for me personally has been brisker than usual.  I sold a couple of jerseys in the last month within a couple of hours that I know in other times would have taken days or even weeks.

I don’t know if it’s only because of the virus. There are many other “trickle-down” things to take into account right now because of it. It seems like the post office and other delivery companies haven’t been on point lately, and maybe they are more worried about actually shipping their items, instead of the act of actually selling them.

34 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

I don’t know if it’s only because of the virus. There are many other “trickle-down” things to take into account right now because of it. It seems like the post office and other delivery companies haven’t been on point lately, and maybe they are more worried about actually shipping their items, instead of the act of actually selling them.

That's actually a pretty good point that I didn't think of.  I wonder how things will go with Classic since they are up in Canada and international shipments have been heavily impacted lately.

3 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

But when were they reaching out to consignors? For an auction to go live, they need to first receive the jerseys, document/photograph and prepare everything else.  If all of this started mid-March thru April, I don't think any of us expected the boom of sales that we've seen of late.

Is it possible that by the time they could compile enough to give a run, they thought it would be too close to the fall auction?

10 minutes ago, cjerina said:

But when were they reaching out to consignors? For an auction to go live, they need to first receive the jerseys, document/photograph and prepare everything else.  If all of this started mid-March thru April, I don't think any of us expected the boom of sales that we've seen of late.

Is it possible that by the time they could compile enough to give a run, they thought it would be too close to the fall auction?

Possibly.  I did get a call from GWA asking if I had anything to consign back in April I believe.  I told them I didn't at the time.  They called me for the same reason right before their last two auctions as well and I have never consigned anything with them before (but have won items in the past).

I wouldn’t be surprised if they just didn’t have enough jerseys to sell and thought it would be a really good auction. The part about the consignors agreeing to postpone may be true. All 20 of them. 
Who knows.  

• 5 months later...

Today I remembered the hard way why I rarely post jerseys up for trade in the FB groups.

1 hour ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

What happened? 

Gotta say, not a fan of FB, but also not a fan of this thread. If you are gonna throw it out there, explain it for the rest of us!!

44 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Gotta say, not a fan of FB, but also not a fan of this thread. If you are gonna throw it out there, explain it for the rest of us!!

Right there with ya. Curious to know what issues @Devilsguy had. Can help us all

Sorry lol my afternoon has been very busy.  Here is short version:

Post that I have a 90-91 red Kasatonov Devils up for trade.  Specifically say I am looking for higher-end Devils or, in particular, Devils gamers of either Bill Guerin, Stephane Richer, Scott Niedermayer or Alex Mogilny

Literally first comment I get is "Some famous names in the trade list.  Are you sure Alexei is on par with them?"

In what world is a member of the Green Unit, 2-time Olympic gold medalist, a 1-time Silver Medalist, a starting lineup member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice Soviet team, and a IIHF HOF inductee not at least on par with Guerin or Richer?

34 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Post that I have a 90-91 red Kasatonov Devils up for trade.  Specifically say I am looking for higher-end Devils or, in particular, Devils gamers of either Bill Guerin, Stephane Richer, Scott Niedermayer or Alex Mogilny

Literally first comment I get is "Some famous names in the trade list.  Are you sure Alexei is on par with them?"

In what world is a member of the Green Unit, 2-time Olympic gold medalist, a 1-time Silver Medalist, a starting lineup member of the 1980 Miracle on Ice Soviet team, and a IIHF HOF inductee not at least on par with Guerin or Richer?

Have to agree with those two, and someone might be excited enough to do a Mogilny (although there aren’t that many out there). 

I’d think the Nieds would not be an even trade, but of course, people do uneven trades and even them out with cash or other consideration all the time. 

We put a rule in place in the Authentic jersey FB group that says anyone who price shames someone’s sale/trade post will be instantly removed and banned from the group. It’s getting out of control and we’re all tired of it. If you don’t like the price, move on. Simple as that. 

2 hours ago, jsh139 said:

We put a rule in place in the Authentic jersey FB group that says anyone who price shames someone’s sale/trade post will be instantly removed and banned from the group. It’s getting out of control and we’re all tired of it. If you don’t like the price, move on. Simple as that. 

That’s a good idea. I hate that. If you think it’s too high, don’t buy it, but don’t mess with the seller’s action. 

18 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Kasatonov was a great great player, and in his prime far better than Guerin or Richer but unfortunately due to his short and underwhelming (of course he was at the tail end of it by then) career in North America most people underrate or aren’t aware of how good and successful he was during his time with the Red Army. As you pointed out his accolades speak for themselves but unfortunately most people who are very North American centric aren’t aware of how great a player he was. But you’ll get no argument from me on your estimations and great jersey by the way.

9 hours ago, QueenAnnesRevenge said:

Kasatonov was a great great player, and in his prime far better than Guerin or Richer comparably, but unfortunately due to his short and underwhelming (of course he was at the tail end of it by then) career in North America most people underrate or aren’t aware of how good and successful he was during his time with the Red Army. As you pointed out his accolades speak for themselves but unfortunately most people who are very North American centric aren’t aware of how great a player he was. But you’ll get no argument from me on your estimations and great jersey by the way.

And, there’s plenty of Devils fans who weren’t fans before 1995, so there are probably a lot who have never seen Kasatonov play as a Devil. 

22 hours ago, QueenAnnesRevenge said:

Kasatonov was a great great player, and in his prime far better than Guerin or Richer but unfortunately due to his short and underwhelming (of course he was at the tail end of it by then) career in North America most people underrate or aren’t aware of how good and successful he was during his time with the Red Army. As you pointed out his accolades speak for themselves but unfortunately most people who are very North American centric aren’t aware of how great a player he was. But you’ll get no argument from me on your estimations and great jersey by the way.

Thanks and totally agree.  Kassy didn’t even enter the NHL until he was 30.  Going by strictly NHL stats he probably was somewhat of a footnote but he still is pretty known hockey-history wise.

It also makes it ironic that I completed a trade for it where I am getting a lesser players jersey back.  The player that I’m getting back is a jersey that’s been on my want list for years.  I am ok with parting with Kassy for it as I have very few personal memories of him while I def remember the player coming back.  I lost the trade but I guess I can’t win them all if I want to get what I want.

I’ll probably post the jersey I got in the new arrivals section when I get it, which will be a while.  It’s a surprise (and a lot of you will probably say “you traded Kassy for THAT?!?!”)

4 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Thanks and totally agree.  Kassy didn’t even enter the NHL until he was 30.  Going by strictly NHL stats he probably was somewhat of a footnote but he still is pretty known hockey-history wise.

It also makes it ironic that I completed a trade for it where I am getting a lesser players jersey back.  The player that I’m getting back is a jersey that’s been on my want list for years.  I am ok with parting with Kassy for it as I have very few personal memories of him while I def remember the player coming back.  I lost the trade but I guess I can’t win them all if I want to get what I want.

I’ll probably post the jersey I got in the new arrivals section when I get it, which will be a while.  It’s a surprise (and a lot of you will probably say “you traded Kassy for THAT?!?!”)

Well now I’m definitely going to say that. 

• 1 month later...

So in one of the FB groups (the one that allows knockoffs) the admin decided to institute new rules.  One of the new rules is that if you post something for sale, you are obligated to respond to everyone who replies to the post that they are interested.  If you do not, you will be banned.

L-O-L

Lol I saw that. There’s also a rule that says knock-offs cannot be listed for over $40. Why even allow them. They’re not even worth that much.