MeiGray advice

Hockey Bob

I know there is a strong contingent of Devils fans as well as game worn collectors on here. 

I recently bought this MeiGray Devils jersey with the sole purpose to strip it and put a better player on it. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222335756119?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Since it is a nobody player that didn't play in the regular season or NHL I didn't think it was a big deal, 

With the impending snow storm about to hit Chicago I was gonna strip it tonight, Just looking for feedback on the following:

Is it going to upset anyone that I am stripping a pre-season / nobody player game worn? (I know it's mine and I can do as I wish, but is it bad form?) 

Next, if it gets stripped, what do I do with the MeiGray paperwork? Pitch it or hang on to it for proof that it's at least a team issued jersey? 

Any other thoughts? Thanks 

If it were me, I'd destroy it thoroughly so that there's no chance of anyone mistaking it for something of any quality in the future.

I'd recommend you do the same with the MeiGray letter too.

The only reason to hang on to the paperwork was to prove it was a team owned jersey - not sure if that has any value to a potential buyer but it's not like i planned on selling it any time soon. 

It says who the player was so i'm not worried about anyone trying to use it for anything bad, I'm still undecided

Thanks for the responses so far, I'll check in between clearing snow

Cheers!  

I've stripped about a dozen pre-season and GI jerseys from MeiGray. I have never had an issue with it. But those were all recent.

I'd have a hard time doing it with a vintage one, but in the end, I'd be happier with a name player and I would consider doing it. 

There is no right answer here.

It is really up to you whether or not you want to strip iit.

However if you decide to....burn the Meigray paperwork.  It will have no value after that.  It will just become a customized authentic.

Agreed on burning the paperwork. 

If I'm looking to buy an older jersey like this it doesn't matter to me if it was a team issue jersey but it may entice a potential buyer down the road. 

Hmmmm....

I guess the good thing for me is that i'm a hoarder so if I was to ever sell it won't be for a long time 

I used to be hard-lined against stripping any gamer.  However, these days with the amount of jerseys churned out by teams I am not really against some of the scrubs gamers getting stripped.  However, if there is a tag in there I would remove that as well and write Game issued on the fight strap in sharpie. 

I have no problem with removing the tag if you strip one, but why would you write Game Issued on the fight strap? After all, if it was worn, stripping it does not make it game issued, at best its a team issued "blank" at that point. Even if it started as a Game Issued, I wouldn't be comfortable calling it that anymore once it was stripped. 

And in any event, I wouldn't be comfortable writing that on any jersey. Who am I to say something is "Game Issued", especially where in my case (Devils), the team doesn't write on the fight strap, there is a stamp they use. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have no problem with removing the tag if you strip one, but why would you write Game Issued on the fight strap? After all, if it was worn, stripping it does not make it game issued, at best its a team issued "blank" at that point. Even if it started as a Game Issued, I wouldn't be comfortable calling it that anymore once it was stripped. 

And in any event, I wouldn't be comfortable writing that on any jersey. Who am I to say something is "Game Issued", especially where in my case (Devils), the team doesn't write on the fight strap, there is a stamp they use. 

I guess if you remove the inventory tag you don't have to write on the fight strap.  Devils stamped the 2010 retro's GI with a GAME ISSUED - NOT WORN on their fight straps, so they have done it before.

Not worried about what you might do to it, but what happens later on down the road.  Those older vintage Devils cheap gamers they sold some had the CC style heat pressed stamps, and those are not easy to remove.  Then you would have to write something on the fight strap in that case.

On 12/10/2016 at 4:29 PM, Hockey Bob said:

I know there is a strong contingent of Devils fans as well as game worn collectors on here. 

I recently bought this MeiGray Devils jersey with the sole purpose to strip it and put a better player on it. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222335756119?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Since it is a nobody player that didn't play in the regular season or NHL I didn't think it was a big deal, 

With the impending snow storm about to hit Chicago I was gonna strip it tonight, Just looking for feedback on the following:

Is it going to upset anyone that I am stripping a pre-season / nobody player game worn? (I know it's mine and I can do as I wish, but is it bad form?) 

Next, if it gets stripped, what do I do with the MeiGray paperwork? Pitch it or hang on to it for proof that it's at least a team issued jersey? 

Any other thoughts? Thanks 

Just curious, but what did the Meigray paperwork say about this jersey?  Was it pre-season worn or issued?  I have never seen this type of Devils jersey before.

33 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I guess if you remove the inventory tag you don't have to write on the fight strap.  Devils stamped the 2010 retro's GI with a GAME ISSUED - NOT WORN on their fight straps, so they have done it before.

Not worried about what you might do to it, but what happens later on down the road.  Those older vintage Devils cheap gamers they sold some had the CC style heat pressed stamps, and those are not easy to remove.  Then you would have to write something on the fight strap in that case.

I mentioned the stamp in my post; but that's still not written on with a Sharpie. I have never seen one with it written there, and I also still think its an issue because its no longer a "game issued" jersey that was prepared for use in games by Joe Blow after you strip it (though who would strip a jersey that said "Blow" on the back? Nobody, that's who) and re-do it as whoever. 

9 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Just curious, but what did the Meigray paperwork say about this jersey?  Was it pre-season worn or issued?  I have never seen this type of Devils jersey before.

The paperwork says
"This letter confirms that your red jersey, registered into Meigray... was worn by Paul Wolanski during the 1991-1993 National Hockey League exhibition seasons" 

I guess the dude got a few shots at making the team and didn't measure up? 

After inspecting the jersey last night it looks like the numbers are stuck on there with black glue, I could be wrong, but don't want to get into cleaning black glue right now so it will stay a Wolanski for a little longer. 

11 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

The paperwork says
"This letter confirms that your red jersey, registered into Meigray... was worn by Paul Wolanski during the 1991-1993 National Hockey League exhibition seasons" 

I guess the dude got a few shots at making the team and didn't measure up? 

After inspecting the jersey last night it looks like the numbers are stuck on there with black glue, I could be wrong, but don't want to get into cleaning black glue right now so it will stay a Wolanski for a little longer. 

Thanks and very interesting.  This one still has my head scratching as outside of the nameplate everything about this jersey is different than what I have seen from every other pre-season gamer from that era.  Hell even the nameplate is a little weird with the 1-color font as previously I have only seen that done on these era jerseys on the captain's C or alternate's A.  Usually the crest, numbers and nameplate are all screened on with the lettering done in 2 colors.  Paul Wolanski was also drafted in 1991 so he might have been in their pre-season (not sure if they did prospect camps back then) then sent down.  He only played 1 more season in the OHL in 1991-92 season before hanging them up for good.