Las Vegas... Black Knights?

jsh139

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, LessThanZero said:

I agree, I'm just having a one man pity party.  Like I said, I wish them all the luck in the world and will be patiently waiting to see who the take from the Blues, Devils and Red Wings.  

Enjoy DSP.  Was great in his 20ish games for us last year, not so much this year so far.

Quebec and any other Canadian city faces an uphill battle because of the Canadian Dollar.  Quebec is also a pretty small market which I think is even smaller than Winnipeg.  The two big things QC does have for it is that it once had a team and that it already has a new and modern arena.

44 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Enjoy DSP.  Was great in his 20ish games for us last year, not so much this year so far.

Agree. He skates like he's on quicksand. 

So few superstars in today's NHL compared to the 90´s when i started watching. All we have now is Kane, Ovi, Crosby......back then there where 30+ superstars in the league. and the teams overall where much much better... and goalies like Hasek, Roy, Brodeur sh!ts all over the goalies of today....the 2000 2001 and 2003 devils and avalanche would have crushed the last 6 years stanley cup champions 4-0.   Penguins, kings and hawks would have gotten swept with ease. Players these days are a lot worse, boring, faceless, no character. That is why i don´t understand why the league is being diluted further by new teams.

Edited by tomtucker

17 hours ago, tomtucker said:

So few superstars in today's NHL compared to the 90´s when i started watching. All we have now is Kane, Ovi, Crosby......back then there where 30+ superstars in the league. and the teams overall where much much better... and goalies like Hasek, Roy, Brodeur sh!ts all over the goalies of today....the 2000 2001 and 2003 devils and avalanche would have crushed the last 6 years stanley cup champions 4-0.   Penguins, kings and hawks would have gotten swept with ease. Players these days are a lot worse, boring, faceless, no character. That is why i don´t understand why the league is being diluted further by new teams.

I believe you've eaten the memberries.

20 hours ago, tomtucker said:

the 2000 2001 and 2003 devils and avalanche would have crushed the last 6 years stanley cup champions 4-0.

Well, yeah, it's a lot easier to build a dominant team when you're not bound by the constraints of a salary cap. A cap-less Blackhawks with Rocky Wirtz in charge would be evenly matched with those teams.

15 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

Well, yeah, it's a lot easier to build a dominant team when you're not bound by the constraints of a salary cap. A cap-less Blackhawks with Rocky Wirtz in charge would be evenly matched with those teams.

Lemme add i am a big pens and hawks fan. Not kings though.....their uniforms are ugly as fu** since 99 left :-)

But which players from the 3 cup winning teams should the hawks have kept so they would have been evenly matched against those devils and avs teams?

Avs were stacked as hell, Roy, Blake, Sakic, Hejduk, Forsberg, makes them one of greatest teams in hockey history

And Devils were:

Patrik Elias, Scott Gomez, Petr Sykora, Jason Arnott, Bobby Holik, Claude Lemieux, Alexander Mogilny, John Madden, Vladimir Malakhov, Brian Rafalski, Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Martin Brodeur.

I don´t give a FU*K !  Hawks, Kings, Pens without a cap Vs. Devils/Avalanche.......  0-4  

Edited by tomtucker

2 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

God, I miss Stevens and the days when men actually played hockey. 

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=WqjLpwB-gGg

Man, did Lindros ever have his head down...he had no idea that was coming at all. 

I really, really miss those days of hockey. The way people have to dance around each other in today's game is sickening. I still to this day watch games and see opportunities for a big hit, then it doesn't come and I remember its 2016 not 2000. 

Knowing what we know now about head injuries and long term damage from concussions and head trauma the league had to do a better job of insuring the players long term well being was taken care of.  If that means getting rid of fighting and outlawing the "Stevens" type hits I have no problem with it.

It's a totally different game today.  Much more safety concerns.  Players get fined/suspended easier and fighting has gotten less and less.  Listen to the announcer in that Lindros distruction, "It's a good hit, though."  Lol, a blind shoulder/elbow to the head? That's a game misconduct and a possible 3-game suspension today.

38 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Knowing what we know now about head injuries and long term damage from concussions and head trauma the league had to do a better job of insuring the players long term well being was taken care of.  If that means getting rid of fighting and outlawing the "Stevens" type hits I have no problem with it.

100% this.

1 hour ago, TMLFAN said:

I have no problem with outlawing hits to the head. The Stevens hit on Lindros shouldn't be permitted. But if you can lay a guy out with a legit body check, I'm fine with that. Nowadays there is barely any contact.

If contact is an issue for someone, they should go do ballroom dancing instead of playing hockey. 

And I 100% disagree about fighting. Huge difference between someone getting laid out on a blindside hit to the head and someone willingly engaging in a fight. 

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

It's a totally different game today.  Much more safety concerns.  Players get fined/suspended easier and fighting has gotten less and less.  Listen to the announcer in that Lindros distruction, "It's a good hit, though."  Lol, a blind shoulder/elbow to the head? That's a game misconduct and a possible 3-game suspension today.

It was a good hit in 2000, he was completely right. 

6 hours ago, tomtucker said:

Lemme add i am a big pens and hawks fan. Not kings though.....their uniforms are ugly as fu** since 99 left :-)

But which players from the 3 cup winning teams should the hawks have kept so they would have been evenly matched against those devils and avs teams?

Avs were stacked as hell, Roy, Blake, Sakic, Hejduk, Forsberg, makes them one of greatest teams in hockey history

And Devils were:

Patrik Elias, Scott Gomez, Petr Sykora, Jason Arnott, Bobby Holik, Claude Lemieux, Alexander Mogilny, John Madden, Vladimir Malakhov, Brian Rafalski, Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Martin Brodeur.

I don´t give a FU*K !  Hawks, Kings, Pens without a cap Vs. Devils/Avalanche.......  0-4  

It's not about keeping the players they had when bound by the cap. It's more about the fact that they would have been able to go out and sign bigger names rather than have to make sacrifices to fit under the cap.

4 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

God, I miss Stevens and the days when men actually played hockey. 

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=WqjLpwB-gGg

I don't find knocking someone the f--- out with a cheapshot to the head very manly. I like watching hockey and not having to be constantly worried that my team's star player might be carried off on a stretcher on his next shift. I'm as much a fan of a good clean hit as anyone, but that crap was like watching the WWF. 

26 minutes ago, Chazberg said:

I don't find knocking someone the f--- out with a cheapshot to the head very manly. I like watching hockey and not having to be constantly worried that my team's star player might be carried off on a stretcher on his next shift. I'm as much a fan of a good clean hit as anyone, but that crap was like watching the WWF. 

That's just how the game was back then.  All teams took cheap shots at one another.

However it was around this time that the pads the players were wearing got bigger and stronger to the point where these current players are psuedo Knights out there (-_-).  Getting hit by a 6-ft plus guy wearing today's pads is a lot worse than in the 80's when the average player was 5'10-5'11, weighed less and had smaller and less sturdy pads.  It's actually the drive to make players safer that is making the game more dangerous IMO.

36 minutes ago, Chazberg said:

While I agree this kind of shot to the head should not be allowed because of the concussion stuff we now know, Stevens' hit was 100% legal at the time. And, aside from him making head contact, its not exactly a cheap shot. Lindros had his head down and was paying no attention, that's why he got hit. Anyone who has ever played hockey knows you have to keep your head up, and he failed to do that. 

Stevens hit to Kariya in the finals was much worse then the Lindros hit imho.  Lindros had the puck with his head down while Kariya had passed it off and was looking the other way when Stevens destroyed him with the late hit.  Watching Kariya out cold on the ice and then suddenly snap back into consciousness was hard to watch.  

If Lindros' brain wasn't a scrambled mush at the time, he probably would have shrugged off that hit.  You are right the Kariya hit was much worse and so was the hit Stevens laid on Willis in round 1 of the 2001 playoffs.

That Lindros hit is probably the most over-hyped hit ever.  A lot of Devils fans mistakenly point to that as the turning point in the series.  In reality it was after game 4 when the Devils went down 3 games to 1 when Robinson tore the team a new a****** in the locker room and had the infamous garbage can throwing tantrum.  After that the Devils won the next 3 games, including game 6 where Lindros came back and made no big impact.  The hit on Lindros was just an unnecessary hit on him and I cringe when I see fans cheer at a guy who just got another concussion in a short span of time from his previous few.

5 hours ago, TMLFAN said:

Stevens hit to Kariya in the finals was much worse then the Lindros hit imho.  Lindros had the puck with his head down while Kariya had passed it off and was looking the other way when Stevens destroyed him with the late hit.  Watching Kariya out cold on the ice and then suddenly snap back into consciousness was hard to watch.  

That's what's so silly about that era of hockey to me; we had all-world players who, when I think of them now, all I remember is "oh yeah I remember his hot breath fogging up his visor when he regained consciousness" or "man how good could that guy have been if his brain wasn't turned to soup". I want the best players to be staying healthy and scoring. 

And yes I know you have to keep your head up, and I do play (poorly), but failing to do so shouldn't result in a People's Elbow...