It arrived today v. 8.0

Brilliant!

On 5/19/2021 at 11:49 PM, Van67 said:

GhKM6nQ.jpg

Rare patch, great jersey :)

Simply curious 'cause the last time I asked I was met with some resistance - given how some collectors are "meh", while others collectors are all like "!$%*&, the 'A' on the jersey needs to be exactly 3" right of the logo and 1.35" down from shoulder seam"...

...does it bug anyone that this jersey (collar tagging + inside hip tag) is circa '95, but it has a '93 cup anny patch affixed?

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, slimcutta said:

...does it bug anyone that this jersey (collar tagging + inside hip tag) is circa '95, but it has a '93 cup anny patch affixed?

It never used to bug me...... until you pointed it out to me a few months ago, 
Thanks a LOT!! Jerk... 😂😂
In all seriousness 
I get where it would make make yer eye twitch but it's getting harder and harder to get everything 100% accurate,

I (Mike) had a tough time finding the correct twill for the numbers on an Ovi rookie. 
Eventually that stuff is gonna all run out. Then, 100% accurate patches, and on and on... 
I have a few that I'll just have to deal with the eye twitching - or sell them off and let someone else work it out. 

Stop pointing out the little things to me, :)

My main concern for my jerseys is they are visually accurate when wearing them. Nobody is going to be looking at the neck tag if I'm wearing it to a game. As for placements, I do worry, but not to the point of getting out the tape measure or ruler. If I wanted to be that guy (no disrespect to those who are), I would make sure jerseys are the same size worn by the player I'm putting on them... and I do not worry about that at all lol.

I sweat the smaller details less and less the longer I'm in the hobby.  I could care if the placement of a letter or patch is fractionally off.  If it's close good enough for me, if it's obvious I'll switch it up.

I like to match the tagging and patches when I can but again I'm starting to worry about it less and less, I don't imagine it hurts the value.  And like Van67 said, if you're not even collecting the players correct size the other minor details shouldn't throw you off.

Gotta ask though, how in the hell do you determine it's 95 tagging in that jersey from that frontal pic?  There's no neck tag and it's not like the hip tag is visible?

10 hours ago, JJM4 said:

Gotta ask though, how in the hell do you determine it's 95 tagging in that jersey from that frontal pic?  There's no neck tag and it's not like the hip tag is visible?

If I was to venture a guess
It's because there is the small white numeric tag 
I believe the older Maska wash tag had the size written on it (no small white numeric tag) 

But Chris will be the better one to chime in 

Pretty sure the little white number tag debuted in 1991. But since that little white tag is in the location where that Maska - Ultrafil tag should be, then one could infer that it has a hip CCM tag, which debuted later on. I’d guess around 1995?

A few things happened

1 - '89-90, from small block to big block without NHL logo, NHL logo added by end of season

2 - Center Ice Collection starts marketing, '91 jerseys have 'Ultrafil' or 'Air-Knit' tagging only (Rangers are only team with 'CCM' tagging (and MIC, MIUS, Assembled in...but whole other ballgame) and still mesh)

3 - Numbering tag appears circa end of '91, new jerseys for '91-92 have 'em

4 - Circa end of '93, new 'CCM' tags started replacing the previous 'Ultrafil' or 'Air-Knit'

2vM7wADvxZ1VfS.jpg

5 - Circa '95 size tags only in collar (for *some* teams) and those have a Maska hip tag

So, for example, we see this collar and '93 patch on a Roy, right?

Simply by looking at the size tag we know it's '95 on and there's a hip tag without even looking

2v2aZsioFxZ1VfS.jpg

2v2aZsk8jxZ1VfS.jpg

55 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Pretty sure the little white number tag debuted in 1991. But since that little white tag is in the location where that Maska - Ultrafil tag should be, then one could infer that it has a hip CCM tag, which debuted later on. I’d guess around 1995?

Looking at my jersey, that appears to be correct.

It's one of the main reasons there are soooo many '92 Penguins done wrong

'92 Pens win the cup - all gamers have 'Ultrafil' tags and the font Pens rocked late 80s/early 90s

'93 they switch to the dirty pigeon, BUT still market the crap out of the old design **with newer 'CCM' collar tags, and **newer Pens font worn on '93 jerseys

Soooo many Lemieux's, Jagr's....Penguins players on '92 jerseys with wrong neck tag and '93 font

14 minutes ago, slimcutta said:

‘93 they switch to the dirty pigeon, BUT still market the crap out of the old design **with newer 'CCM' collar tags, and **newer Pens font worn on '93 jerseys

Soooo many Lemieux's, Jagr's....Penguins players on '92 jerseys with wrong neck tag and '93 font

I noticed that about a lot of the post-‘92 old design jerseys- they also have hem stripes that are the wrong thickness.

I was never the biggest fan of this jersey design, but it's extremely rare to find a player with my same last name so figured it would be a fun set to add to my collection. Hunter McKown Team USA U18 from the cancelled 2020 World Championship

DSCF4421-vi.jpg

DSCF4422-vi.jpg

DSCF4423-vi.jpg

DSCF4424-vi.jpg

1 hour ago, slimcutta said:

It'll all be outlined in '94-04...just curious how much peeps care. Thx for your input :)

Well let’s have it already…

Cannot wait for 94-04!  That's some great info on the tagging.  Had no idea some teams only had a size tag mid 90s and no CCM tag.  I always thought the tag was probably washed out and to make the jersey seem less used the owner just removed the washed out tag. Guess not.

Gotta be some anomolies on the CCM vs Ultrafil/Air Knit tag.  I've got a Devils Christmas Tree with the CCM tag.  Last year they wore that style was the 91-92 season, but maybe it was made at a later date??

On 6/19/2021 at 6:46 PM, Hockey Bob said:

It never used to bug me...... until you pointed it out to me a few months ago, 
Thanks a LOT!! Jerk... 😂😂
In all seriousness 
I get where it would make make yer eye twitch but it's getting harder and harder to get everything 100% accurate,

I (Mike) had a tough time finding the correct twill for the numbers on an Ovi rookie. 
Eventually that stuff is gonna all run out. Then, 100% accurate patches, and on and on... 
I have a few that I'll just have to deal with the eye twitching - or sell them off and let someone else work it out. 

Stop pointing out the little things to me, :)

I agree with this sentiment at this point.   As time goes on, proper nameplate, patches, material will run out sooner or later, and there’s nothing can be done about this.

I was a bit of a stickler for my Avs jerseys, but about 10-11 years on, I’m still holding onto my blank Starter and Pro Player Avs mesh jerseys just cause I don’t have the proper “nameplate” material and now, I’m looking for fabric that is close as possible cause the truth is, these Starter and Pro Player jerseys are getting rarer and rarer, I did find one mesh fabric on the internet that I think will be a good replacement for at least the white jersey but it’s a flat 40 for shipping from the USA to Canada ugh.   Not sure if I wanna drop $40 on shipping when the roll of pro heavy weight mesh is $7 bucks.

Jersey foul, yes it is but the truth is I’ll never get these jerseys done if I keep waiting for the impossible for authentic nameplate material.   

Authentic Starter and Pro Player jerseys go for a fortune now on eBay compared to 10 years ago sub $200, nowadays you’re seeing $400+ USD without customization and when the jersey is in horrible shape and I live in Canada so the exchange rate sucks, but even if it didn’t, still a horrible inflated price imo.   So even going on the net to find a jersey to get cut up is not even feasible due to the insane pricing.

I’ve been out of the hockey jersey hobby for some time now though, but looking to get my jerseys that I do have finally done up, I’m looking everywhere and imo, the hobby has gotten worse, it’s become overpriced, overvalued, and the worst of it all, it isn’t about collecting, it’s become about flipping for a profit.   I’m on other hockey jerseys outlets and it’s straight up vulture culture.

Edited by Forsberg4MVP

2 hours ago, Forsberg4MVP said:

I’ve been out of the hockey jersey hobby for some time now though, but looking to get my jerseys that I do have finally done up, I’m looking everywhere and imo, the hobby has gotten worse, it’s become overpriced, overvalued, and the worst of it all, it isn’t about collecting, it’s become about flipping for a profit.   I’m on other hockey jerseys outlets and it’s straight up vulture culture.

One of the reasons I have pretty much stuck with this forum despite it being half dead. The stories I have heard about people wanting to conceal information, or people getting upset because someone sold a jersey to a third party instead of them, that stuff is ridiculous. 

On 6/22/2021 at 12:58 AM, JJM4 said:

Cannot wait for 94-04!  That's some great info on the tagging.  Had no idea some teams only had a size tag mid 90s and no CCM tag.  I always thought the tag was probably washed out and to make the jersey seem less used the owner just removed the washed out tag. Guess not.

Gotta be some anomolies on the CCM vs Ultrafil/Air Knit tag.  I've got a Devils Christmas Tree with the CCM tag.  Last year they wore that style was the 91-92 season, but maybe it was made at a later date??

Yeah, similar to Pens, when the team switched to the new style, CCM/Maska was still putting out older style/leftover materials and jersey came with the CCM tag.

17 hours ago, Forsberg4MVP said:

Jersey foul, yes it is but the truth is I’ll never get these jerseys done if I keep waiting for the impossible for authentic nameplate material. 

Sometimes at a price, but I've had good success tracking down material through replicas/retail jerseys.

2v2aZFJK5xZ1VfS.jpg

2v2HiP1a3xZ1VfS.jpg

Granted Starter mesh might be a tougher find, but snag an authentic size 46 at $200, sacrifice to the jersey gods, sell off the remaining material and crests/fight strap to recoup and Bob's your uncle :D

26 minutes ago, slimcutta said:

Granted Starter mesh might be a tougher find, but snag an authentic size 46 at $200, sacrifice to the jersey gods, sell off the remaining material and crests/fight strap to recoup and Bob's your uncle :D

$180CAD ($145US) and there's your Starter mesh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224451463794?hash=item3442598a72:g:75gAAOSwT21gkuZe

On 6/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, mfitz804 said:

One of the reasons I have pretty much stuck with this forum despite it being half dead. The stories I have heard about people wanting to conceal information, or people getting upset because someone sold a jersey to a third party instead of them, that stuff is ridiculous. 

I missed out on one of the Ducks District 5 jerseys due to a bug in the auction. Went back and forth with the Ducks organization, but at the end they couldn’t get me another jersey. Found the guy who won it, he said he wasn’t selling. A few days later he lists it for 4x what he paid. I offered him $300 more than his winning bid, but obviously he wanted more. I mean, good for him to make money I guess, but I’m still pissed at the auction since that jersey should have a permanent spot in my collection 

I hate when stuff like that happens. 

But in my experience with collecting for 25+ years, you wait a year or two and another one will come up for $300 less than what you were willing to pay. 
Just gotta be patient buddy. 

A couple more the the Zalapski Collection and a Blackhawks College jersey:

1999-2000 Zarley Zalapski Long Beach Ice Dogs Authentic Home Jersey (This one too a lot of work to figure out what number he wore for the 7 games he played before getting traded to Utah - but we a lot of help, we were finally able to track it down)

1999-2000 Zarley Zalapski Long Beach Ice Dogs Authentic Home Jersey Front1999-2000 Zarley Zalapski Long Beach Ice Dogs Authentic Home Jersey Back

1999-2000 Zarley Zalapski Utah Grizzlies Authentic Away Jersey 

1999-2000 Zarley Zalapski Utah Grizzlies Authentic Away Jersey Front1999-2000 Zarley Zalapski Utah Grizzlies Authentic Away Jersey Back

2019-20 Ian Mitchell University of Denver Pioneers Alternate Jersey 

2019-20 Ian Mitchell University of Denver Pioneers Alternate Jersey Front2019-20 Ian Mitchell University of Denver Pioneers Alternate Jersey Back

I’ll be the one to say it. 

How the hell are there still Zalapski jerseys you don’t have??

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll be the one to say it. 

How the hell are there still Zalapski jerseys you don’t have??

There is not much honestly.  I have every North American team other than a short stint with the Kalamazoo Wings in 2004-2005. 

I do still need a Flyers Orange 1999-2000 jersey and a Flames 1994-1998 White Jersey.  And don't get me started trying to find a White or Green Whalers from his time from 1990-1992 (before the switch to the Navy & White Whalers).

12 hours ago, spudrock512 said:

Well...the drop shadow is on wrong...back to the sewing room. Ugh!!!

There...that looks better!

ZZ Dogs Back.jpg

Edited by spudrock512