Too much wood on that team, I tell ya.

More Wood then you’ll ever have, pal!!!

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last NHL style Zarley would ever wear...

2002-03 Zarley Zalapski Vancouver Canucks Authentic Away Preseason Jersey

2002-03 Zarley Zalapski Vancouver Canucks Authentic Away Preseason Jersey Front2002-03 Zarley Zalapski Vancouver Canucks Authentic Away Preseason Jersey Back2002-03 Zarley Zalapski Vancouver Canucks Authentic Away Preseason Photo

Sad story about his gamer for this season. Meigray did the jerseys for the 2002-03 season.  They never had a listing for him. So after a bit of research, Zalapski was released the same day the Canucks traded for Sami Salo.  They both wore #6. More than likely, this jersey was recycled to a Salo after the trade.  That jerseys was later sold to a card company to and was cut up to put into cards. The last Zarley Zalapski NHL game used jersey, is now in a bunch of swatches of random "Game Used" Jersey Cards. THAT SUCKS!

Those card companies are the worst.  Weird thing is, the cards themselves sometimes sell for thousands of dollars. I recall one of a Crosby jersey that sold for over $70,000. It's insane.

Who's got the toast, cuz I got a butterknife! 2008-09 GW Mike Knuble, third set 1, retro "butterknife" font. So called because of how the 1s look. The Flyers wore these jerseys for two games when this orange style debuted.  The funky font harkens back to the 1973-74 road jersey. Legend has it that the NHL never approved this particular font for use, and they forced the Flyers to stop wearing them. Or, at least that's what I remember Stu saying, haha. Mike wore this jersey in both games and it has a little wear to it. Photomatched to a slash on the sleeve number and a long loose thread.

2008-09 Game Worn Mike Knuble, Third set 1

2008-09 Game Worn Mike Knuble, Third set 1 (Back)

2008-09_Flyers_Knuble_04

mike-knuble-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-l

Edited by jsh139

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

Those card companies are the worst.  Weird thing is, the cards themselves sometimes sell for thousands of dollars. I recall one of a Crosby jersey that sold for over $70,000. It's insane.

Some jersey and patch cards are shady too. I pulled a Quinn Hughes rookie patch card last season and it had a piece of a number on airknit material, which Hughes never wore as he debuted out of college after Adidas took over and his draft jersey was also Adidas. Granted, the card says the jersey is certified to have been worn by the player, but does not specify in a game... It still makes you wonder. 

46 minutes ago, Van67 said:

Some jersey and patch cards are shady too. I pulled a Quinn Hughes rookie patch card last season and it had a piece of a number on airknit material, which Hughes never wore as he debuted out of college after Adidas took over and his draft jersey was also Adidas. Granted, the card says the jersey is certified to have been worn by the player, but does not specify in a game... It still makes you wonder. 

I know many times, they word the cards in a specific way to allow them to have a player put on a jersey and then use that jersey.  They are not necessarily "game worn" but they are "player worn".  In some of the older jersey cards, it says that the jersey was game worn, but may not be worn by that player.  

Regardless - It was and still is super shady.

Edited by spudrock512

Some players (Giroux for example) are under contract with the card companies. They’ll pick a random game and have him wear three jerseys in it and then they get them. 

42 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Some players (Giroux for example) are under contract with the card companies. They’ll pick a random game and have him wear three jerseys in it and then they get them. 

That, I actually don't mind. If the card companies are going to get jerseys to cut up, the league should do this across the board. Let the card company pay for the jerseys for one game per season and they can have those. Some (or most) game worns just should not be cut up. I saw a Pavel Bure card on eBay last year that stated its 4 jersey pieces were from the 1993 All Star Game. I don't care if he wore a jersey for each period in that game, that should have been off limits to Upper Deck. 

On 3/15/2021 at 10:02 AM, spudrock512 said:

The last NHL style Zarley would ever wear...

2002-03 Zarley Zalapski Vancouver Canucks Authentic Away Preseason Jersey

2002-03 Zarley Zalapski Vancouver Canucks Authentic Away Preseason Jersey Front2002-03 Zarley Zalapski Vancouver Canucks Authentic Away Preseason Jersey Back2002-03 Zarley Zalapski Vancouver Canucks Authentic Away Preseason Photo

Sad story about his gamer for this season. Meigray did the jerseys for the 2002-03 season.  They never had a listing for him. So after a bit of research, Zalapski was released the same day the Canucks traded for Sami Salo.  They both wore #6. More than likely, this jersey was recycled to a Salo after the trade.  That jerseys was later sold to a card company to and was cut up to put into cards. The last Zarley Zalapski NHL game used jersey, is now in a bunch of swatches of random "Game Used" Jersey Cards. THAT SUCKS!

How did you find out it was purchased by a card company?

18 hours ago, HockeyMusic said:

How did you find out it was purchased by a card company?

Meigray confirmed the Salo preseason jersey it was sold to one of them. Since they didn't have record of a Zalapski, it was determined the Salo was more than likely the recycled Zalapski, because he played in a preseason game right after being traded to the Canucks and Zarley being cut.

22 hours ago, spudrock512 said:

Meigray confirmed the Salo preseason jersey it was sold to one of them. Since they didn't have record of a Zalapski, it was determined the Salo was more than likely the recycled Zalapski, because he played in a preseason game right after being traded to the Canucks and Zarley being cut.

That is bulls***.  Never saw the draw about owning a swatch of a game jersey.

Even worse is that in my travels on Ebay I saw cards with effing neck tags (like the Center Ice Collection tag, for example) from player jerseys, even though gamers did not have those tags commonly.

This seems to contribute to the theory that the card companies just have the players put on any random jersey and then cut it up and put "player worn" on the back, even if not worn in actual gameplay.

3 hours ago, HockeyMusic said:

That is bulls***.  Never saw the draw about owning a swatch of a game jersey.

Even worse is that in my travels on Ebay I saw cards with effing neck tags (like the Center Ice Collection tag, for example) from player jerseys, even though gamers did not have those tags commonly.

This seems to contribute to the theory that the card companies just have the players put on any random jersey and then cut it up and put "player worn" on the back, even if not worn in actual gameplay.

Of course, some people also don’t understand why people would collect other people’s sweaty shirts...

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Of course, some people also don’t understand why people would collect other people’s sweaty shirts...

True, but if you are going to have the sweaty shirt, then at least get the whole thing

23 minutes ago, HockeyMusic said:

True, but if you are going to have the sweaty shirt, then at least get the whole thing

Well obviously. 

2 hours ago, HockeyMusic said:

Yeah, no one wants just the tip. They want the whole thing. (TWSS)

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

Yeah, no one wants just the tip. They want the whole thing. (TWSS)

Yes she did. 

On to Zarley's IHL Years...

1999-2000 Zarley Zalapski Utah Grizzlies Authentic Home Jersey

1999-2000 Zarley Zalapski Utah Grizzlies Authentic Home Jersey Front1999-2000 Zarley Zalapski Utah Grizzlies Authentic Home Jersey Back

2000-2001 Zarley Zalapski Houston Aeros Game Used Away Jersey. I received this jersey as a game used jersey with the nameplate removed.  Three players wore #6 that year, Zalapski being one of those. Had EPS add the nameplate.

2000-2001 Zarley Zalapski Houston Aeros Game Used Away Jersey Front2000-2001 Zarley Zalapski Houston Aeros Game Used Away Jersey Back

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, could there be any more Zalapski jerseys left for you??

There are two i'm working on, but I can't figure out what number he wore:

1999-2000 Tampa Bay Lightning.  In camp for a PTO for two weeks, played in two preseason games on 9/11/99 & 9/12/99, cut the next day.

1999-2000 Long Beach Ice Dogs.  Played for 7 games before getting traded top the Utah Grizzlies.

I have both jerseys, but trying to find the numbers has been a pain in my a$$!

2 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

There are two i'm working on, but I can't figure out what number he wore:

1999-2000 Tampa Bay Lightning.  In camp for a PTO for two weeks, played in two preseason games on 9/11/99 & 9/12/99, cut the next day.

1999-2000 Long Beach Ice Dogs.  Played for 7 games before getting traded top the Utah Grizzlies.

I have both jerseys, but trying to find the numbers has been a pain in my a$$!

That’s crazy. You’ve done quite a job. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

That’s crazy. You’ve done quite a job. 

For the amount of research I have done just to find out the number he wore (still with no luck) has be crazy.  I'm even in communication with the Ice Dogs former announcer who is talking to their old trainer to see if they have any info. If only I put this much effort into my work...

1 hour ago, spudrock512 said:

For the amount of research I have done just to find out the number he wore (still with no luck) has be crazy.  I'm even in communication with the Ice Dogs former announcer who is talking to their old trainer to see if they have any info. If only I put this much effort into my work...

Have you contacted you local University library? They may have microfilm of a major local newspaper from those dates with possible pics or boxscores?

53 minutes ago, Crash Line said:

Have you contacted you local University library? They may have microfilm of a major local newspaper from those dates with possible pics or boxscores?

I have been through all of that.  

Here is what I have for both teams:

Zarley signed a PTO with the Tampa Bay Lightning on September 1st, 1999. In a training camp game, he wore #2 for the Red Team in a training camp game, but three other players were also assigned #2 for those camp games. On September 11th & September 12th he played in Preseason games vs the Carolina Hurricanes. Zalapski was released from the Tampa Bay Lightning on September 13, 1999

The next day, he signed a 25 game contract with the Long Beach Ice Dogs
On October 9th 1999, the Utah Grizzlies played Long Beach.  At the 14:59 mark of the 1st period, Zalapski was called for a Holding Penalty.  He also was called for a Interference Penalty at the 17:03 mark of the 1st period
On October 10th, 1999, the Chicago Wolves played Long Beach.  Thomas scored, assisted by Zalapski and Crowley at the 5:37 mark of the 3rd period on the power play.
On October 13th, 1999, Chicago played Long Beach again. Ast scored assisted by Pearson and Zalapski at the 13:21 mark of the 2nd Period.
On October 15th, the Grand Rapids Griffins played Long Beach. Pearson scored, assisted by Zalaspki and Walz at the 11:56 mark of the 3rd Period
It was reported that around November 5th. 1999, Zalapski was traded to the Utah Grizzlies
In his time with Long Beach, Zarley played in 7 games, recording 0 goals, 5 assists, and 6 penalty minutes. 
I can confirm that Zalapski was not in the team picture at the start of the season, and was not listed in the 1999-2000 team media guide. 

So, that is where I am at. A bunch of info, but no confirmed player number.

Might not be worth anything, but maybe see if any of his family is on social media?  They may have old pictures or game programs or something.