It arrived today v. 8.0

Brilliant!

3 minutes ago, slimcutta said:

Wasn't recycled, Aaron Broten only played for the NStars in '89-90...just different sets, same year.

I'm not following.... 
That's Neal Broten #7 with the small block which would've been from 89 backwards right? 
The Big Block CCM with the NHL badge on Bellows is from 1990-91 

I think yer gonna have to put me on a Zoom call and read to me from your book :)

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It’s all relative I guess, me personally I take great pleasure in making everything as accurate as possible, and the wrong neck tagging etc can be a deal breaker for me. Crazy? Maybe, but that’s what gets my motor running and what I enjoy about the hobby. Especially since I have a passion for the older rags. And that extra small finite detail can give me tingles I tell ya.

I can see the irony in being so particular about one thing but not or overlooking another but again each to their own and we’re all anal to different levels. Some way more than others granted, But whatever floats your boat :) 

Edited by QueenAnnesRevenge

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My take? If the jersey is right on the outside, I can care less what tags are inside. That’s how I choose to participate in the hobby.

Stole my thunder here. The reason I'm close to no longer seeking authentic jerseys for customization is that I'm finding customizers aren't making the same efforts they used to even when I send clear instructions for things like nameplate material. Tags on the inside though? If I wear one of my jerseys to the pub, who sees those? That's my opinion anyway.

Just now, Van67 said:

Stole my thunder here. The reason I'm close to no longer seeking authentic jerseys for customization is that I'm finding customizers aren't making the same efforts they used to even when I send clear instructions for things like nameplate material. Tags on the inside though? If I wear one of my jerseys to the pub, who sees those? That's my opinion anyway.

Right, and to finally find that jersey you’ve been looking for, only to reveal the neck tagging is incorrect? Not me.

But, I certainly don’t begrudge anyone for doing so. 

But if you are going to go through all that trouble, then you should also consider the size the actual player wore. If you follow all of the neck tagging rules and the size tag is “wrong”, how accurate were you?

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, and to finally find that jersey you’ve been looking for, only to reveal the neck tagging is incorrect? Not me.

But, I certainly don’t begrudge anyone for doing so. 

But if you are going to go through all that trouble, then you should also consider the size the actual player wore. If you follow all of the neck tagging rules and the size tag is “wrong”, how accurate were you?

It all comes down to why we collect besides just having a passion for jerseys. I want to wear my jerseys, so if I want a Quinn Hughes 2020 skills competition jersey, I need to get a Size 58 customized because Quinn's Size 54 just isn't going to work lol. (Should be back in 3-4 weeks, I cannot wait!)

15 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I'm not following.... 
That's Neal Broten #7 with the small block which would've been from 89 backwards right? 
The Big Block CCM with the NHL badge on Bellows is from 1990-91 

I think yer gonna have to put me on a Zoom call and read to me from your book :)

N. Broten...because Aaron's on the bench next to him (A. Broten), and that is '89-90 season when the big block and NHL logo premiered.

3 hours ago, slimcutta said:

You got a better repro and adjusted the numbers to get more accurate, right on, but it begs the question, and I'm curious 'cause I addressed '89-'92 tagging changes in '83-'93, and I'll be noting the change to CCM tagging '93 on for some teams, in '94-04.

Does it not bother you, and to all collectors in general since many people make this mistake, that the jersey isn't accurate for the patch (and in some cases the player)?

2 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

What tagging are you referring to? The Center Ice neck tag? The jersey itself is accurate for the era. Suppose I don’t care about tagging especially since it can’t be seen when I’m wearing it. If it was a big block no NHL patch or air knit obviously that would be a problem. But these jerseys (big block, NHL logo, ultrafil) were worn from what, 90-93? No different than buying an EDGE jersey back in 2016 and having it customized for a player/patch in 2012

As particular as I am, I have let the Maska vs. CCM neck tag issue slide a couple of times when doing up a jersey as a 91-93.  What I won’t do though, is a pre 91 jersey like the 90/91 Hawks ASG, using a jersey with the post-1991 tagging.  The 90/91 should have only one tag, whereas the post-1991 ones have the additional small size tag.  What’s even more important to me is that the Hawks 90/91 would be expected to have the 80’s-style fight strap with the rounded buttons, while the ones with the CCM neck tag should all have the flat-button strap.  That’s a bit too much for me to ignore.  But I can still understand why someone wouldn’t care if you can’t see any of these differences while the jersey is being worn, as well as the more extreme position where everything has to be a perfect match.  

2 hours ago, Van67 said:

It all comes down to why we collect besides just having a passion for jerseys. I want to wear my jerseys, so if I want a Quinn Hughes 2020 skills competition jersey, I need to get a Size 58 customized because Quinn's Size 54 just isn't going to work lol. (Should be back in 3-4 weeks, I cannot wait!)

Agreed, I don’t think it makes sense to buy one you can’t fit into. But to be “accurate”, you’d have to. Or at least sew a 54 size tag in there. 

Point being, once that accommodation is made, what difference does neck tagging make? It won’t ever be “accurate”. 

Wow, I thought I was picky about my jerseys, but apparently I’m not. Haha! Exterior details matter (to me) since that what everyone sees when I wear the jersey. Literally never looked at neck tags before so for the few decades that I’ve been doing this hobby it’s clearly not important to me. The fight strap buttons I get, but again, for me the fight strap construction and material is the same for the most part and no one will ever see that one side of a button is different. I also buy jerseys in sizes that fit me so even if I got every detail right, most players wore larger sizes so that wouldn’t be accurate. 

In my collection I ask myself, did the player wear this brand/material of jersey? Did they wear this patch? Then it’s fine. And if I can get a font that accurately depicts how it was at that time then I will. 

Funny that no one bashed the fact the SCF Keith was actually a word mark EDGE 2.0 I had stripped and a vector mark sewn down in its place. That collar detail is more obvious (to me), but literally no one will ever see it when I’m wearing it so I don’t care. 

Going forward will some of you be this anal with adidas jerseys and the change of tagging on the inside hip area? Serious question 

On 3/5/2021 at 9:49 AM, mdwsta4 said:

Moving into the modern era, back in 2011 I was lucky enough to grab a size 52 white TI Vector which became a SCF Kane. Now I have it's red twin with Dunc's puck blocking face!

DSCF4036-vi.jpg

DSCF4037-vi.jpg

HOW DARE YOU! :)
(kidding) 
Didn't they switch to a 2.0 cut with the vector mid season in 2010?
I can't make out the year of the Cup patch but guessing it's a 10'  

Looks great and I like your choice of player 

Edited by Hockey Bob

1 hour ago, mdwsta4 said:

The fight strap buttons I get, but again, for me the fight strap construction and material is the same for the most part and no one will ever see that one side of a button is different.

Why do you get the fight strap, but not the neck tags?

The Rangers had made in Canada w quality straps, Assembled in Canada with US & Canada components, and made in US, and the latter two had crappier stocko FS

I digress, but we've all seen jerseys with FS cut out and replaced...are guys ok with getting a cheap replacement since no one sees it?

Funny that no one bashed the fact the SCF Keith was actually a word mark EDGE 2.0 I had stripped and a vector mark sewn down in its place.

Why does it automatically turn to "bashing the fact"?

Going forward will some of you be this anal with adidas jerseys and the change of tagging on the inside hip area? Serious question 

But see, this kinda illustrates the point - we don't see the hip tag whatsoever, but we see the collar tag all the time, whether in pics or on display 98% of the time we see 'em.

I was just curious if guys cares or not :D

48 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

HOW DARE YOU! :)
(kidding) 
Didn't they switch to a 2.0 cut with the vector mid season in 2010?

Looks great and I like your choice of player 

Most players switched to 2.0 halfway through the 2008 season, so yeah, they were wearing this style when they won the Cup in 2010. This patch matches that. Thanks! 

28 minutes ago, slimcutta said:

Why do you get the fight strap, but not the neck tags?

The Rangers had made in Canada w quality straps, Assembled in Canada with US & Canada components, and made in US, and the latter two had crappier stocko FS

I digress, but we've all seen jerseys with FS cut out and replaced...are guys ok with getting a cheap replacement since no one sees it?

Why does it automatically turn to "bashing the fact"?

But see, this kinda illustrates the point - we don't see the hip tag whatsoever, but we see the collar tag all the time, whether in pics or on display 98% of the time we see 'em.

I was just curious if guys cares or not :D

As I said, I also don't care about the fight strap buttons either. The construction of the fight strap with flat or round buttons is the same. Or at least it looks the same when I compare both versions. Only difference I see is one side of the button is round and the other is flat. If they were constructed differently I probably would be more accurate about them. 

Regarding the hip tag vs neck tag, I mean, I guess you see them when we (collectors) post pics, but other than that when else would you ever see it? Certainly not when wearing them (which is what I do with my jerseys). And if you're taking the stance of never seeing the hip tag, why would anyone care about the button shape on a fight strap? Most of us don't post photos of the fight strap nor are they seen when on display or worn. So that's basically the same, no?

Sounds like people are pretty split on caring vs not. I'm obviously in the latter camp! :) I will say I learned something new today as up until this morning I had never once paid attention to neck tags or the style of buttons, so thanks guys!! 

I can say with 100% accuracy I have no idea what type of fight strap snaps (no idea why people call them “buttons”, as they do not button) are on any of my jerseys. 

15 hours ago, QueenAnnesRevenge said:

It’s all relative I guess, me personally I take great pleasure in making everything as accurate as possible, and the wrong neck tagging etc can be a deal breaker for me. Crazy? Maybe, but that’s what gets my motor running and what I enjoy about the hobby. Especially since I have a passion for the older rags. And that extra small finite detail can give me tingles I tell ya.

I can see the irony in being so particular about one thing but not or overlooking another but again each to their own and we’re all anal to different levels. Some way more than others granted, But whatever floats your boat :) 

This is my view too, I love making the effort to get everything as close as possible to the gamer.  Love the proper tagging, fight straps, patches, but there's times that you just simply can only take things so far with some of this older stuff.  Not like there's all these random spare jersey parts lying around.

But since I love my older CCM jerseys and always want to do a goalie on them, it never works out that I get a goalie cut so really how accurate am I being? But that aside I take great pride in trying to have all other little details put into the jerseys.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:31 PM, Hockey Bob said:

That would be correct, as the other two Cups in the dynasty were in 2013 and 2015.

Because of the last post here (regarding authenticity):

I‘m also very picky and would like to know: Which size had Mats Sundin in his last Leafs season (first half - Reebok 1.0)?

I still have a blanko TML Edge 1.0 size 58 und want to have it finally customized and Sundin would be my #1 choice!

But I‘m affraid he was wearing minimum 58+ because of the small 1.0s.... 

There are many Toronto fans here so I have hope to get some help!

Searching the web didn‘t help: The only GW-jerseys I could find were Pre-Edge Reeboks and of course CCMs...

Sundin's first set (1.0) was a size 60 in both the home and road jerseys.  There were also white 1.0's game-issued for him in size 58 and 60+, and a blue 58 but they were not actually worn in games.  There was also a blue 60+ worn in the preseason only.

Source: MeiGray 2007/08 Population Report

Thank you very much!!

So I‘ll take Sundin!

Existing GIs in size 58 is enough authenticity for me 😉!

On 3/10/2021 at 8:34 AM, AM34 said:

Because of the last post here (regarding authenticity):

I‘m also very picky and would like to know: Which size had Mats Sundin in his last Leafs season (first half - Reebok 1.0)?

I still have a blanko TML Edge 1.0 size 58 und want to have it finally customized and Sundin would be my #1 choice!

But I‘m affraid he was wearing minimum 58+ because of the small 1.0s.... 

There are many Toronto fans here so I have hope to get some help!

Searching the web didn‘t help: The only GW-jerseys I could find were Pre-Edge Reeboks and of course CCMs...

Just bang Sundin on it, who cares? 

I will 👍

My jersey is already on it‘s way to Canada 😉...

I just don't get the sizing thing, If I have a jersey bigger than a 52 because Komarov wears a 56, it will drown me (I know, I have worn his gamer) so it makes sense for me to get 52s no matter who wears them

1 hour ago, DJ Rhea said:

I just don't get the sizing thing, If I have a jersey bigger than a 52 because Komarov wears a 56, it will drown me (I know, I have worn his gamer) so it makes sense for me to get 52s no matter who wears them

Correct. 

Decided to try for as many different goalies as possible, while trying not to repeat specific jerseys. With a little luck sales-wise, this 2017-18 training camp jersey (bench worn) will certainly fit the bill. 

51027961511_e3caec3f36_b.jpg51028065167_86ce9d5670_b.jpg

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Decided to try for as many different goalies as possible, while trying not to repeat specific jerseys. With a little luck sales-wise, this 2017-18 training camp jersey (bench worn) will certainly fit the bill. 

51027961511_e3caec3f36_b.jpg51028065167_86ce9d5670_b.jpg

Wedgie!