It arrived today v. 8.0

Brilliant!

I am tackling the same project tonight as well. There’s enough glue on there to hold anything they’d like. I’ll hit it with some Goo B Gone and some Acetone and hopefully it comes clean. Like you, I ordered one that would still be ok if it turned out to be worst case scenario, mine had a 67, and I’m putting on 87.

Penguins Adidas MIC in Progress

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, FrontYardSpecial said:

I've probably stripped around two dozen jerseys and have never encountered that much glue. Woof

Yeah that’s bad, but the 8 should pretty much cover the 6. 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:24 PM, Biscuit In The Basket said:

How many remember the Vandevelde jerseys on ebay from years ago? This was one I picked up with 44's in twill on the shoulders and back. Years later I decided to strip it and have EPS send me a vinyl Coffey kit for it. Gotta love those vintage CCM's.

004.JPG

003.JPG

Hey yooooooooooooo!  Nice job!!  You're going to make me take pictures and post the sets I finally finished from that season, aren't you?  **Thumbs up**

On 2/19/2018 at 0:06 PM, LAK74 said:

BITB’s jersey looks good to me.  Back in the late 80’s, there were changes in the Penguins’ letter and number fonts, sometimes from set to set.  If I’m not mistaken, the jersey pictured is made up as a 1987-88, and there were some game jerseys that year with a font just like that.

Right!  87-88 indeed.

The team used really thin numbers for the first half of the season, with any of the shoulder numbers having yellow/white color filling in any of the loops in the digits (with the exception of 0) depending on if they were home/away jerseys.  After around some time in early February, they switched to rather thick numbers, and the shoulder numbers had any of those digit loops open up.  The C/A also were different between sets, again growing in size for the later half of the season, and a 2-layer press just like the numbers.

A few examples:

Oct 87 - Feb 88:

https://www.gettyimages.com/license/117092763
https://www.gettyimages.com/license/91890547

Feb 88 - End of Season:

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1987_88_Mario_Lemieux_Pittsburgh_Penguins_Game_Worn_Jersey_Photo_Match-3568-101.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Pittsburgh-Penguins-MARIO-LEMIEUX-PAUL-COFFEY-8x10-Photo-Hockey-Print/191734559752?hash=item2ca4453408:g:IVoAAMXQgPFRGhuN

The 2nd set black jerseys were really hard to find detail for.  I had to resort to mostly video, which I have at home.  All cards and nearly all photos I've seen are from the first half of the season...which is a shame, because I like the look of the late season kits.

Here's an arrival. 2017-18 GW Robert Hagg from Eric Lindros's jersey retirement night.  The Flyers went on to win that game in OT against the Leafs.  Has a couple of nice marks and burns on it. Came unwashed 1f922.png. Also came with a nice pic that was signed by Lindros. Really excited to get this one!

2017-18 Game Worn Robert Hagg, Lindros Retirement Night

2017-18 Game Worn Robert Hagg, Lindros Retirement Night (back)

IMG_7316-Edited

IMG_7317-Edited

IMG_7319-Edited

5 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Here's an arrival. 2017-18 GW Robert Hagg from Eric Lindros's jersey retirement night.  The Flyers went on to win that game in OT against the Leafs.  Has a couple of nice marks and burns on it. Came unwashed 1f922.png. Also came with a nice pic that was signed by Lindros. Really excited to get this one!

2017-18 Game Worn Robert Hagg, Lindros Retirement Night

2017-18 Game Worn Robert Hagg, Lindros Retirement Night (back)

IMG_7316-Edited

IMG_7317-Edited

IMG_7319-Edited

Very nice ,it will be my first look at the New Jersey’s , when mine arrives 

1 minute ago, cowboys said:

Very nice ,it will be my first look at the New Jersey’s , when mine arrives 

Thanks! I thought you picked up Voracek's set 1 GI?

22 hours ago, TheBZ said:

Best I could get with the lighting but it's pretty gross.

25498859767_1a142a9b1a.jpg

39660058164_a5a93d22ed.jpg

You have any luck removing the glue? Mine isn’t coming off at all.....

10 minutes ago, KB67 said:

You have any luck removing the glue? Mine isn’t coming off at all.....

Nope. Those pictures were after my first attempt. I focused my efforts on two small parts of the 6 that would be visible with an 8 over and barely noticed a difference. I'm going to attempt a second round probably this weekend.

6 hours ago, blurryhaze312 said:

Hey yooooooooooooo!  Nice job!!  You're going to make me take pictures and post the sets I finally finished from that season, aren't you?  **Thumbs up**

Right!  87-88 indeed.

The team used really thin numbers for the first half of the season, with any of the shoulder numbers having yellow/white color filling in any of the loops in the digits (with the exception of 0) depending on if they were home/away jerseys.  After around some time in early February, they switched to rather thick numbers, and the shoulder numbers had any of those digit loops open up.  The C/A also were different between sets, again growing in size for the later half of the season, and a 2-layer press just like the numbers.

A few examples:

Oct 87 - Feb 88:

https://www.gettyimages.com/license/117092763
https://www.gettyimages.com/license/91890547

Feb 88 - End of Season:

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1987_88_Mario_Lemieux_Pittsburgh_Penguins_Game_Worn_Jersey_Photo_Match-3568-101.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Pittsburgh-Penguins-MARIO-LEMIEUX-PAUL-COFFEY-8x10-Photo-Hockey-Print/191734559752?hash=item2ca4453408:g:IVoAAMXQgPFRGhuN

The 2nd set black jerseys were really hard to find detail for.  I had to resort to mostly video, which I have at home.  All cards and nearly all photos I've seen are from the first half of the season...which is a shame, because I like the look of the late season kits.

Thanks, Blurry. Yeah, post some of your stuff. It's always nice to see some cool old CCM jerseys and learn a thing or two. Coffey was popular enough to have plenty of pics and footage to look at so that helped out a lot. I wanted to be as accurate as possible with that '87-'88 because stripping it wouldn't be an option. One day I hope to find a Sandow or NIke Coffey that isn't a small fortune to buy.

35 minutes ago, TheBZ said:

Nope. Those pictures were after my first attempt. I focused my efforts on two small parts of the 6 that would be visible with an 8 over and barely noticed a difference. I'm going to attempt a second round probably this weekend.

The jersey was turning yellow as I used the Acetone on a rag to try and remove it, so I have now thrown it into the wash. Hopefully it comes out.

1 hour ago, TheBZ said:

This isn’t going well. The yellow from the glue spread when I put The Acetone on, and it didn’t come out good in the wash. I’m kinda s***ting bricks here now....

Penguins MiC Adidas work in progressPenguins MiC Adidas work in progress

Remember, that crap is a chemical. The more you use it, the more it will cause discoloration. Especially on the white areas.

I've seen leftover residue like that before. You're probably not getting it off clean. Sometimes it's just a lost cause.

36 minutes ago, KB67 said:

This isn’t going well. The yellow from the glue spread when I put The Acetone on, and it didn’t come out good in the wash. I’m kinda s***ting bricks here now....

Penguins MiC Adidas work in progressPenguins MiC Adidas work in progress

I don't know if it will work but years ago a collector online had a similar situation with an air-knit jersey. He claimed he got a paint tray like you use for painting a house and filled it with acetone or some other remover and laid just the back part in the chemical and let it soak, checking it regularly. He claimed it did remove quite a bit of the color stain but did take quite a bit of time. Then he took a 50/50 mix of bleach and water, did the same and said he got pretty good results with no damage to the fabric. Unfortunately he didn't post pics. If you're a gambler it might be worth a try.

9 hours ago, Biscuit In The Basket said:

I don't know if it will work but years ago a collector online had a similar situation with an air-knit jersey. He claimed he got a paint tray like you use for painting a house and filled it with acetone or some other remover and laid just the back part in the chemical and let it soak, checking it regularly. He claimed it did remove quite a bit of the color stain but did take quite a bit of time. Then he took a 50/50 mix of bleach and water, did the same and said he got pretty good results with no damage to the fabric.

This was something I planned on doing with two of my stripping projects in order to remove the massive amounts of glue that's left. Was concerned about damaging the fabric

19 hours ago, Biscuit In The Basket said:

I don't know if it will work but years ago a collector online had a similar situation with an air-knit jersey. He claimed he got a paint tray like you use for painting a house and filled it with acetone or some other remover and laid just the back part in the chemical and let it soak, checking it regularly. He claimed it did remove quite a bit of the color stain but did take quite a bit of time. Then he took a 50/50 mix of bleach and water, did the same and said he got pretty good results with no damage to the fabric. Unfortunately he didn't post pics. If you're a gambler it might be worth a try.

Try using an iron on the cotton setting.  Use a lot of steam and make sure to use a white t shirt between the iron and the jersey.  Then just press and move it around. The glue should come off onto the t-shirt.  I've had succes in removing glue that way.  Then if need be touch up with Goff off and throw in the wash then repeat with the iron.

28 minutes ago, Hawks2797 said:

Try using an iron on the cotton setting.  Use a lot of steam and make sure to use a white t shirt between the iron and the jersey.  Then just press and move it around. The glue should come off onto the t-shirt.  I've had succes in removing glue that way.  Then if need be touch up with Goff off and throw in the wash then repeat with the iron.

That’s what I was thinking, too. But MFitz said that EPS told him that would push the glue further into the jersey fabric. Honestly, though, at this point anything is probably worth a try for this guy. 

27 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

That’s what I was thinking, too. But MFitz said that EPS told him that would push the glue further into the jersey fabric. Honestly, though, at this point anything is probably worth a try for this guy. 

Would I iron on the t-shirt side, or iron on the jersey side?

I have had success doing that.  The glue doesn't necessarily  work further in it comes off on the t-shirt.  There still will be some left but if you hit that with Goof off that scrap off what you can, I  like to use the backside of a butter knife to scrap off what I   can.  the Goof off/acetone will break it down. Then Wssh it and hit it with an iron again.  Iron the t shirt over the jersey.

25 minutes ago, Hawks2797 said:

I have had success doing that.  The glue doesn't necessarily  work further in it comes off on the t-shirt.  There still will be some left but if you hit that with Goof off that scrap off what you can, I  like to use the backside of a butter knife to scrap off what I   can.  the Goof off/acetone will break it down. Then Wssh it and hit it with an iron again.  Iron the t shirt over the jersey.

Thanks, I’ll give that a whirl....

On 2/19/2018 at 9:59 PM, KB67 said:

Penguins Adidas MIC in Progress

If the 6 would be covered by the 8 why bother causing any further damage?  
And why would you remove the 7 to put another 7 on?