2016-2017 New Jersey Watch

CJ Matthews

Since before Crosby came into the league they've touted him as "The next Gretzky"
The NHL gives the Conn Smythe to anybody else and it is like admitting they might have been slightly off. Never gonna happen 

I'm not saying he sucks, I just wish everybody would stop stroking the guy, it's OK to be a really good player and not have to be predicted as the BEST! 

Years from now this is gonna be called the Crosby era regardless 

If there was a draft for every player in the league right now how many outside of Pittsburgh would choose Crosby with their 1st pick? 

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Since before Crosby came into the league they've touted him as "The next Gretzky"
The NHL gives the Conn Smythe to anybody else and it is like admitting they might have been slightly off. Never gonna happen 

Wouldn't the same have been true in 2009?

:)

Honestly, I think the real issue was, nobody stood out from the pack. Kessel was 10-12-22, +5,  Crosby was 6-13-19, -2, Bonino was 4-14-18, +9, Malkin was 6-12-18, +1. That was your top 4 in scoring, all bunched up with around the same number of points. 

Murray had a 2.08 GAA and .923 save percentage. I think if he was at 1.99, with the corresponding bump up in percentage, you'd have to give it to him. 

And I know everyone hates Kessel. But he had more goals, only one less assist, and he was a +5 compared to Crosby's -2. I'd have given it to both Kessel AND Murray before Crosby. 

As you mentioned, it goes against the grain of this board but Kessel would have been my pick. 

1 hour ago, Hockey Bob said:

As you mentioned, it goes against the grain of this board but Kessel would have been my pick. 

WAY against the grain. I have no idea why everyone hates that guy. 

Crosby had two big assists last night and Kessel was held pointless.  That's why Crosby was picked ahead of him.  

One thing I did notice last night was the Pens jerseys didn't have the regular air-knit nameplates they usually use.  They were edge material which is weird because edge doesn't match the area the nameplate sits on.  

Something to keep in mind if all you sticklers for accuracy are doing up pens finals jerseys.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

All I know is that with last night's final game of the season, today is officially the start of the sh**y part of my year. I hate summer.

Yeah, no hockey. What's up with that?? We need to create our own league that plays June - the end of September. 

22 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Only if I get to put "He hate me" across the back of my next jersey.

But seriously ... Is it October yet? 

I'm going like Team Canada 2004, all jerseys have the same name on the back and just different numbers. 

That name is "Fartknocker".

6 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Speaking of such a classic nickname, I was hoping one of you Devils fans sprung for this.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/231965425322

That is amazing!!

20 hours ago, dsl135 said:

Pretty much anyone but Crosby. That's really a joke. The guy was 7th in scoring in the playoffs, a whole 11 points behind the leader, and only had 4 points (no goals) in the Final. Those aren't Conn Smythe numbers.

In all honesty, it probably should have been Murray, but I think this was truly a year where a player from the losing team should have won... Couture. 30 points in the playoffs, 6 points in the Final. Way better numbers than Crosby.

better numbers yes.....but crosby plays a overall solid game

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎14 at 7:03 AM, tomtucker said:

better numbers yes.....but crosby plays a overall solid game

And don't forget the fact that Crosby had 3 GWG against TB in the East Finals...

I agree with all of you that he didn't clearly win it, but overall I think he was the best player on the ice for his team.

18 hours ago, simpsonsimard said:

And don't forget the fact that Crosby had 3 GWG against TB in the East Finals...

I agree with all of you that he didn't clearly win it, but overall I think he was the best player on the ice for his team.

For sure, and the conn smythe is for the most valuable player in the entire playoffs.........i believe in MLB and NBA, world series/finals MVP trophy is only for the performance in the finals, isn't that right ? 

On 13/6/2016 at 6:04 PM, Hockey Bob said:

I'm not saying he sucks, I just wish everybody would stop stroking the guy, it's OK to be a really good player and not have to be predicted as the BEST! 

Years from now this is gonna be called the Crosby era regardless 

If there was a draft for every player in the league right now how many outside of Pittsburgh would choose Crosby with their 1st pick? 

• First rookie to record 100 points and 100 penalty minutes in a season[169]
  • Youngest player to record 100 points in a season (18 years, 253 days)[37]
  • Youngest player to record 200 career points (19 years and 207 days)[170]
  • Youngest player to record 2 consecutive 100-point seasons (19 years, 215 days).
  • Youngest player voted to the starting line-up in an All-Star Game[171]
  • Youngest Art Ross Trophy and Lester B. Pearson Award winner[47]
  • Youngest player to be named to the First All-Star Team [48]
  • Youngest player to lead NHL playoffs in scoring (20 years, 9 months, and 28 days)
  • Youngest NHL captain to win Stanley Cup (21 years, 10 months, and 5 days)
  • Fewest games played by an NHL team's leading scorer (his 66 points in 41 games were the most of any player on the 2010–11 Penguins squad)[81]

besides, he career was derailed and almost cut short due to concussions..........he refused to retire, came back and won another fukking stanley cup, basically telling his haters to eat s*** !

:stickhndl:

Edited by tomtucker

3 hours ago, tomtucker said:

• First rookie to record 100 points and 100 penalty minutes in a season[169]
  • Youngest player to record 100 points in a season (18 years, 253 days)[37]
  • Youngest player to record 200 career points (19 years and 207 days)[170]
  • Youngest player to record 2 consecutive 100-point seasons (19 years, 215 days).
  • Youngest player voted to the starting line-up in an All-Star Game[171]
  • Youngest Art Ross Trophy and Lester B. Pearson Award winner[47]
  • Youngest player to be named to the First All-Star Team [48]
  • Youngest player to lead NHL playoffs in scoring (20 years, 9 months, and 28 days)
  • Youngest NHL captain to win Stanley Cup (21 years, 10 months, and 5 days)
  • Fewest games played by an NHL team's leading scorer (his 66 points in 41 games were the most of any player on the 2010–11 Penguins squad)[81]

besides, he career was derailed and almost cut short due to concussions..........he refused to retire, came back and won another fukking stanley cup, basically telling his haters to eat s*** !

:stickhndl:

You forgot one of his accomplishments

First 28 year old virgin to win a Stanley Cup

6 hours ago, AlereFlammam said:

You forgot one of his accomplishments

First 28 year old virgin to win a Stanley Cup

Didn´t Sid use to live at Mario's house ? Pretty sure Mario took care of it...........no, not like that !  get your mind out of the gutter.............! 

Mario hired prostitutes   

:lol:

3 minutes ago, tomtucker said:

Didn´t Sid use to live at Mario's house ? Pretty sure Mario took care of it...........no, not like that !  get your mind out of the gutter.............! 

Mario hired prostitutes   

:lol:

Yeah but every time one of them touched him, Sid flopped on the floor and asked for it to be called a penalty. 

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah but every time one of them touched him, Sid flopped on the floor and asked for it to be called a penalty. 

Two minutes in the box is about a minute and a half longer than he would need.