You Guys Ever Call Out Fakes On Ebay?

The_Dude_Abides

One of my favorite things to do while browsing ebay, is call out people selling fakes. Especially those who try and charge full blown authentic prices for a $20 shop rag.

Ebay, and the major manufacturers don't seem to police the sellers on ebay, so I feel I can do my part as a collector.

Just wondering if all you out there do the same thing as I do...If you dont, you should try it. It can be quite entertaining! ?

Just an example...this goof:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181924584503&alt=web

I've called him out but he's a persistent little bugger.

If you guys want to give it a try...have at it! Let us know how it turns out...try to have fun with it ?

Done it before, but the lack of policing and lack of concern on the part of eBay makes it a complete waste of time to me.

Mitchell & Ness actually used to have a couple of full-time employees with high level access on eBay. They'd find a fake, click a button, and it would automatically pull the item off eBay and also send a report to the seller's email. Reebok could make a killing with that, but it seems like they don't care.

Hmm...wonder why they stopped doing it.

With the amount of arse time I get at work, that would be such a sweet side gig!

It's pissing in the wind at this point. I mean you squash one seller and 3 more take it's place. It's the hydra affect with these people. Hell there was a poster here who was kicked off or warned by eBay for selling fakes when he was actually selling legit jerseys. If I remember right they said they were alerted by Reebok about his listings. If that is the case, the stupid manufacturer of the jerseys can't even tell.

I really wonder if reebok got about a half dozen employees do police eBay as well as sites like aliexpress if it would make a dent. I'm not sure but it might be enough to justify those employees salary costs and actually add a little integrity to their brand.

But we know reebok wouldn't do that.

You would think a corporation with that kind of money and brand recognition would be all over that crap.

I know there's a lot of cockroaches out there to squash but like you said, if they put some effort into it, they could easily make a dent.

Just getting so sick of my followed searches on ebay being clogged up.

No, I don't bother. it won't stop them, plus there's more fakes than legit jerseys on eBay, so I don't have that kind of time.

That being said, eBay would be way more enjoyable if you didn't have to sift through all the fakes.

It's always very tempting, but I don't want to put the energy in it. What hurts me most is that they are taking people's hard earned and saved money, thinking they are buying the real deal.

Agreed. I don't personally care if people buy fakes if they know they're fake. If they don't care, why should I?

But, I don't like people winding up with fakes they thought were real.

Then you have the ones who have no idea. I've come across that many times. I feel bad for them as well because they usually paid a pretty penny for them...at least they get a little education on the subject.

Then you have the ones who have no idea. I've come across that many times. I feel bad for them as well because they usually paid a pretty penny for them...at least they get a little education on the subject.

I don't like that either. Though, if you pay $49.99 for a fully customized jersey that usually costs over $300, maybe you should have known.

I report them when I find them but like someone else said at this point it's pretty much pissin into the wind. It really is very annoying having to see all the fakes when trying to find good jerseys. I just sent this assclown a message asking why he's selling fake jerseys.

Edited by Krendelev

Go to a Philadelphia Flyers home game it's all you see. It's a shame, some of them look home made they're so bad.

Same for New Jersey, unless things have changed since last year. It does sort of make for a fun little game to play spotting fakes. I would never say anything as I'm not trying to make anybody feel bad or anything, but I'm definitely thinking it. I've seen some brutal ones.

Yes, the Prudential Center is full of them. And some, especially the retro style, are downright awful.

But people who wear those, I feel like they must know and not care.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252133237523

This example is the best. I see these a lot.

Sweet baby Jesus...

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252133237523

This example is the best. I see these a lot.

Those have achieved almost a cult status at this point. If the Devils had something similar I'd probably have one.

Of course, it would be in addition to the other 15-20 I have (lost count between what's in the closet and what's over at EPS).

Yes, the Prudential Center is full of them. And some, especially the retro style, are downright awful.

But people who wear those, I feel like they must know and not care.

Not only that, but they will tell you that the fakes are better than the legit ones. SMH.

Not only that, but they will tell you that the fakes are better than the legit ones. SMH.

Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and some of them stink.

If the NHL wants to stop fakes, they have to market jerseys better. The marketing is terrible. They need to make people feel like it is a status symbol that goes hand in hand with the ritual of being a fan, and that by having a fake you're a loser phoney.

I doubt eBay cares. They profit off of fakes because of final value fees. Take fakes off of eBay, and eBay loses a huge chunk of their sporting goods market.

As far as having this "FAKE JERSEY POLICE" it wouldn't work. They'd just get confused and start flagging legit jerseys because "they have fight straps and only the fake oens have fight straps" or what ever. It'd cause more trouble than it is worth.

Not saying fakes are equal or better, but one major issue is that Premiers are garbage, and the price point of jerseys is all f***** up.

It is very hard to convince people to spend $130 on a blank jersey that'll look good through a single wash cycle because it is constructed so poorly. If Reebok and NHL are going to "fight the fake" and convince people to buy legit jerseys, Premiers actually need to be decent. They need to be similar in quality to the 2000's CCM replicas.

Wasn't the entire point of Premiers being s***ty to convince people to spend big bucks on authentic jerseys instead? Solid business plan considering you can't even buy authentic jerseys at 99 percent of stores.

Edge 2.0's are fantastic, but if I paid 300 CAD plus tax for a blank, I'd feel ripped off. I get that they are probably depending on people who are hardcore collectors, or are the rare fans who won't buy fakes to pay what ever they ask and subsidize the market, but I am guessing if someone who knew what they were talking about and not some schmuck with a Patrick Lalime avatar on a web forum analyzed Reebok's business plan they'd realize the economics behind it are all messed up.

Edited by hockeyjerseyssuck

If the NHL wants to stop fakes, they have to market jerseys better. The marketing is terrible. They need to make people feel like it is a status symbol that goes hand in hand with the ritual of being a fan, and that by having a fake you're a loser phoney.

I doubt eBay cares. They profit off of fakes because of final value fees. Take fakes off of eBay, and eBay loses a huge chunk of their sporting goods market.

As far as having this "FAKE JERSEY POLICE" it wouldn't work. They'd just get confused and start flagging legit jerseys because "they have fight straps and only the fake oens have fight straps" or what ever. It'd cause more trouble than it is worth.

Marketing would help, but lowering prices on replicas would help even more. Well over $200 for a customized replica from NHL.com is way too much.

The economy is rough right now, they need to get with the times.

it is pointless, the sellers are dicks and they know it more often than not. very, very rarely have i found one that was actually contrite.

alerting eBay does NOTHING. you can identify 100 fakes from one seller and they won't lift a finger. conversely, if a rightsholder (e.g. adidas's gibney group) calls them about a 100% legit item, they will pull it and punish the seller, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

welcome to america/global business in 2015.

Edited by ConcreteCharlie

Not saying fakes are equal or better, but one major issue is that Premiers are garbage, and the price point of jerseys is all f***** up.

It is very hard to convince people to spend $130 on a blank jersey that'll look good through a single wash cycle because it is constructed so poorly. If Reebok and NHL are going to "fight the fake" and convince people to buy legit jerseys, Premiers actually need to be decent. They need to be similar in quality to the 2000's CCM replicas.

Wasn't the entire point of Premiers being s***ty to convince people to spend big bucks on authentic jerseys instead? Solid business plan considering you can't even buy authentic jerseys at 99 percent of stores.

Edge 2.0's are fantastic, but if I paid 300 CAD plus tax for a blank, I'd feel ripped off. I get that they are probably depending on people who are hardcore collectors, or are the rare fans who won't buy fakes to pay what ever they ask and subsidize the market, but I am guessing if someone who knew what they were talking about and not some schmuck with a Patrick Lalime avatar on a web forum analyzed Reebok's business plan they'd realize the economics behind it are all messed up.

First thing about Premiers is that it needs to be updated. From the materials to the goofy long arms, I still do not know why after 8 years they are still using it when it is based off of the Edge 1.0. If they changed the materials and fit around to resemble more of the 2.0, then they would get instantly better.

I tell people who scream and whine about replicas costing $200 with crap customization from NHL.com that they are doing it wrong. Fullmoonjerseys on ebay is a seller who sells legit replicas of overstock jerseys and has been selling blanks lately for $40 in all sizes (at least for the Devils). I tell people to just get one of those, send it off to EPS and pay $60 for whomever they want and they get back a nicely customized and fully stitched jersey for $100 plus shipping. However while you can bring a horse to water, forcing it to drink is another story and unfortunately we live in a world of insta-grat where waiting a few weeks to receive a jersey and a few weeks more to get it stitched to save about $100 is too much to ask.