Purchasing an authentic Chicago Blackhawks sweater (jersey)

Audible Nectar

I am interested in purchasing an authentic Chicago Blackhawks sweater/jersey. Before I do so, I thought it best to ask those in the know how best to go about this, in order to get the best quality finished product I can get. As it seems this item can run multiple hundreds of dollars, I want to get this right the first time.

I have done a fair amount of reading, and this is what I have read so far:

- that the current "closest available to what the players wear" is the "Edge 2.0/7287", unless a "team issued" can be located (and I've yet to see one available for purchase).

- that the "customization" can vary from one vendor to another - that some don't use the same material for the nameplate, that the fonts for the letters or numbers can vary slightly, and the quality of the gluing and stitching of the nameplate, numbers, and patchwork. I am especially interested in a vendor who does a solid job in this area.

I have a CCM jersey from 1992 (Chelios/Blackhawks) which is a very impressive garment - I am still amazed at how well those were made. I got it at Gunzo's in River Forest. It is in a size 54, but is admittedly a bit larger on me now, as I have lost 20 lbs. since I got it. I figure I would wear a 52 in that version now. I have not ever seen Reebok 2.0s, at least to the extent I could feel them up close and personal, and am curious how they compare in quality.

It seems that I can do this in a few ways. One way would be to purchase jersey and customization at the same place - it seems vendors such as JerseyBaron, Locker Room Sports, and this site's namesake, Ice Jerseys can do this, and are all listed on Ebay. Or it seems an option is to purchase the jersey uncustomized then send it to a preferred customizer to finish it off.

So I am curious as to this site's recommendations as to how best do this, best vendor/source, and if there's anything I should know before taking the plunge on a modern version of my favorite uniform in sports.

Thanks in advance!

You're basically spot-on with all your observations. There's not really much to add, except that if I were you I would not buy a jersey and have it lettered before it is shipped to you. If you have no experience with Edge jerseys it would be wise to buy the blank jersey, try it on to see how it fits you, and then get it lettered later. Edge jerseys fit differently than the CCM ultrafil you have, and with many jersey vendors, once you order the jersey and they letter it, you will probably not be able to return it if you do not like the way it fits. With JerseyBaron you might be able to exchange a lettered jersey, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Another reason for getting the blank first is that you can send it to customizers like City Sports Lettering or Triple Threat Sports, both of whom have lettered the Hawks on-ice jerseys, and will give accurate customization. With any other letterer, there are bound to be differences from the on-ice lettering, although they may not be all that noticeable if you're not picky or very observant. :) But if you're particular enough to want an on-ice jersey, we would assume you would want the most accurate lettering possible, so why go anywhere else? Regarding size, I would guess you might need a size 56 or thereabouts, but that can vary depending on how loosely or snugly you like your jerseys to fit.

Your research is mighty impressive.. Always a good idea and I commend you on that. It is very easy to just buy what you think would look right and possibly end up with something completely off, or even worse a fake jersey. As LAK74 mentioned buying a blank then seeing how that fits would probably be best. Then you can send it to City Sports Lettering, Triple Threat, or some people like EPS as well.

The Edge jerseys are completely different to the older CCM's. One nice thing I like about them is that you can get buy wearing multiple sizes and it won't look silly. I am 6'1" 215 and can wear anything from a 54 to a 58. Personally I like the 58, but I like my jersey a little on the bigger side.

The Edge jerseys are completely different to the older CCM's. One nice thing I like about them is that you can get buy wearing multiple sizes and it won't look silly. I am 6'1" 215 and can wear anything from a 54 to a 58. Personally I like the 58, but I like my jersey a little on the bigger side.

I like that a lot. I've worn a 46 all the way up to a 56, and never felt super ridiculous in any one. The 46s do fit like a t-shirt on me, but it's kinda a nice change up from the baggy stuff sometimes.

I have on order two blank Edge 2.0 Canada made jerseys, which will be customized to commemorate the attendance by me and my wife of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final on Monday :shot: As soon as I hear back from TTS or CSL (I emailed them and am still waiting for a response) I will arrange customization, assuming these jerseys fit properly. I think they will, as what I have dug into in terms of past threads on sizing seem to indicate I am on the right track.

Edited by Audible Nectar

I have on order two blank Edge 2.0 Canada made jerseys, which will be customized to commemorate the attendance by me and my wife of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final on Monday :shot: As soon as I hear back from TTS or CSL (I emailed them and am still waiting for a response) I will arrange customization, assuming these jerseys fit properly. I think they will, as what I have dug into in terms of past threads on sizing seem to indicate I am on the right track.

Just a heads up, they're pretty slow with email. Best to call.

I received the blanks from JB, and of course I guessed wrong! Glad I listened to LAK74, because my guess was too big :noway:

Some observations that stand out: The wingspan from a 50 to a 54, as well as the length from the back of the neck to the bottom, was surprisingly small. The major difference is in body width. It was interesting to handle and feel the Edge versions, as it is the first time I have handled them. Wayyyyy different from the CCM's, both in material as well as fit. The material is interesting stuff. LOVE the huge Hawk crest :D

If it is true that the Edge 2.0 has shorter and wider sleeves than the 1.0, the 1.0 must be for taffy pullers. I found the 2.0 to be about as long as I would want in the sleeves. Of course, I remind myself that these are the authentic, and are made to be worn with pads.

I bought the 54 for me and the 50 for her, just trying to make an educated guess. The 50 for her was a big swing and miss, as the sleeves were way too long and had a lot of room in the body. I think the 46 will be perfect.

But more surprising was the 54 fit on me. I could actually live with it, but it is a bit loose. I tried the 50 and found it actually didn't fit too badly, albeit a bit snug for a jersey. The 52 should be perfect.

The pics in the size thread help a lot, especially once I had the jerseys in hand to try on. As much as I read these threads it didn't result in a proper initial guess, but I now feel much better about where to go re: sizing now that I have had an initial tryout.

BTW - I find JB to be really good to deal with. I have also made contact with Triple Threat, who seem to have all the right answers on the customization, and will be getting the blanks once the right sizes arrive.

Use EPS, they use edge nameplates and the others use air knit.