Missing NHL Center Ice tag - Difference between two NYR CCM jerseys?

liquidice

I recently bought two NYR CCM jerseys of the same era - but noticed that one has an NHL Center Ice authentic collection tag, while the other does not.

Does anyone know why they are different?

Here are pics of the two:

IHMlRxB.jpg?1

6ejVrI6.jpg?1

They both have the same CCM logo on the back, too lazy to go up and take a picture, but it matches the white jersey style for 1990-1996 from nhluniforms.com -- http://www.nhluniforms.com/Rangers/Rangers22.html

(C and C are red, M is blue with an Orange/Black NHL logo) on the bottom right hem.

I was just curious if there was a reason or the history behind why one has a Center Ice tag and one doesn't - not questioning the authenticity of the two jerseys.

There also appears to be a white stitching running across on one of the jerseys.

The Center Ice tags started appearing on CCM jerseys around 1990. The second jersey (without the tag) was made in 1991 or later, so the reason the tag is not there is not because the jersey predated the use of the tags. Sometimes the post-1990 jerseys just didn't have the tag, or in other cases they may possibly have come off with use. I have one where the tag was literally hanging on by a thread, on just one side.

Is there a "stocko" fight strap in the one with the Center Ice tag? just curious..

How would I tell if it has a stocko fight strap?

On the back of the fight strap button base you'd see "Stocko"

Both are 100% legit sweaters as others have said.. LAK74 is spot on with explaining the tagging differences.. Just was curious if they had the Stocko fight straps..

Edited by enzo269

Seems like we've had this conversation before! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure the reason, but the jersey with the Center Ice tag has two white horizontal stitch lines in the blue area, and the other doesn't.

Not sure the reason, but the jersey with the Center Ice tag has two white horizontal stitch lines in the blue area, and the other doesn't.

That's gotta be for the red/white stripe on the back of the shoulder yoke area. Now I'm wondering how the stripe on the other one is attached.

That's gotta be for the red/white stripe on the back of the shoulder yoke area. Now I'm wondering how the stripe on the other one is attached.

I figured that's the case, but good question. You can tell there isn't blue stitching or anything coming through.

Two-ply shoulder yokes. On one the stripe was attached to the outer ply prior to joining to the inner ply. On the other the stripe was sewn on after the two layers had been joined, and you can see the chainstitch showing.

Two-ply shoulder yokes. On one the stripe was attached to the outer ply prior to joining to the inner ply. On the other the stripe was sewn on after the two layers had been joined, and you can see the chainstitch showing.

Any idea why they're constructed inconsistently?

A running production change. I would suspect the later version resulted in some sewing labor savings, so the industrial engineer at the plant got the change approved by the manufacturer, and then it was implemented.

• 6 years later...

On CCM Center Ice jerseys (post-1990 retails), the Cosby tag in the neck area just means that they lettered the jersey, and/or sold it from their NY store.  There are obviously tons of other Rangers jerseys sold or lettered elsewhere, which would not have the Cosby tag on them, so the absence of the tag really has no relevance to the legitimacy of the jersey.

Gerry Cosby lettered the game worn Rangers jerseys for decades, so you will also see the Cosby tag on gamers, going WAY back.