San Jose Barracuda

I'm a bit bummed that Worcester Sharks are gone, since I really liked them using the original NHL Sharks' logo. But I guess this really helps the franchise with the players moving between NHL and AHL, now that both teams are in the same city, as opposed to them being in different coasts.

So the Worcester Sharks are replaced by the San Jose Barracuda. Unfortunately, they had to change their name since there can't be an AHL team called the San Jose Sharks. The fact that they used a sponsor's name isn't such a bad thing, because it could have been worse than "Barracuda".

Here are the new jerseys and logo: https://twitter.com/sjbarracuda/status/583655606885588992

The logo is a massive downgrade from the original SJ Sharks logo. I feel like it's too cartoony, like so many other minor league teams' logos. Also, they're using now the new Shark's jerseys, which aren't as good as the previous ones, let alone a orange jersey as a alternate. Which makes sense in a way that, now they actually have something orange other than few stripes on their jerseys, even though I'd say ditch the orange completely.

Edited by jolmari

Shouldn't it be plural? I feel like it should be Barracudas.

I like it a lot. I like some variation between the parent teams and AHL teams. Albany want with a straight up devils logo copy with the stylized "A", not a huge fan. My favorite of course was the river rats with the devils, and a lot of people thought that was a little too cartoony as well.

Probably going to have to get that teal one next year. I do kinda think just barracuda works better. Sounds better out loud imo.

No one here is surprised that they sold out the team name to one of their sponsors. This organization has been building a monopoly in the area by driving smaller rinks out of business for years. Their designs are targeted specifically towards the children's market which is what they really want a monopoly of. Hell, most adults here have the social skills of children so it's a win-win for them.

San Jose is only going to be a placeholder for this team too, the Sharks were caught off guard by the AHL West happening next season. They won't keep competition around for more than a year or two when the secondary market for the big club is already starting to crater this season.

Wow, that's pretty harsh. I like the jerseys. The AHL is usually very family friendly, so it's not crazy to go with a logo that kids will enjoy. If you can squeeze some extra cash flow out of that while keeping it somewhat related (ever seen a barracuda's mouth up close? It's like halfway to being a shark anyway) then great.

Anyways, I feel they could have done much worse. They'll get at least one jersey sale from me provided they make 2.0s available, so it can't be that bad.

....Or maybe it's awful and I'm stupid. Wouldn't be the first time. Oh well.

The logo should be the least of the worries here. These jerseys appear to be nothing more than practice jerseys with logos on them.

As far as the orange is concerned, it's interesting to me because when I did work for the Stadium Series game, I was told they wanted to move away from orange and to try not to use it in the product we made. Thus, we made the product in teal and will be moving forth with both teams in teal.

No one here is surprised that they sold out the team name to one of their sponsors. This organization has been building a monopoly in the area by driving smaller rinks out of business for years. Their designs are targeted specifically towards the children's market which is what they really want a monopoly of. Hell, most adults here have the social skills of children so it's a win-win for them.

San Jose is only going to be a placeholder for this team too, the Sharks were caught off guard by the AHL West happening next season. They won't keep competition around for more than a year or two when the secondary market for the big club is already starting to crater this season.

I don't know enough about Bay Area hockey to corroborate the first part of your post, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this team in Sacramento or Oakland in a few years. The Sharks seem to be flying by the seat of their pants here, which is bizarre, because I always thought

As for the sponsor thing, it's a serious issue. I'm not naive; the economics of minor league sports necessitate some novel revenue streams. I lust after Aeros sweaters with the old Bud Ice patch, but there's a fundamental difference between doing what it takes to survive and actually hitching the identity of the team to a sponsor. I shouldn't be surprised; this is the organization brought us BlackArmor™ presented by Seagate. That doesn't make it okay.

Apparently, it can be both and I guess this ties the team more to the sponsor.

Yup, it can be singular or plural.