1995-96 Anaheim Mighty Ducks Paul Kariya Game worn Wildwing jersey

MIGHTY-DUCKS8

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beckett cover photo seems to have the A in the same location as the one for sale. It doesn't necessarily look like a goalie cut to me. But honestly we are all used to looking at 58 GC's, I have no frame of reference for a 54-G.

Maybe if is the real deal. If so, how much do you think not having an LOA affects the value? I mean here we all are assuming it's a fake, so it must have some impact.

It would be interesting at least to know if there are any signs of the A being removed from the stick blade area, as shown in the Beckett photo. Without any other matched markings, I wouldn't assume the Beckett photo was a match to the eBay jersey. The Beckett one could simply be the same jersey Sungod has with the A now in a different position.

It also looks like there might be a small white marking just under the left arm number in the Beckett photo- would be interesting to know if that was present on Sungod's jersey.

Well this just got interesting. So the jersey was only worn 6 times and there's 3 game pics with the A in a different position and one without an A? Seems strange.

I could believe that he's wearing a goalie cut (he was little, but those jerseys look huge on him), but the sleeves around the wrist in the pics just done seem like a goalie cut. They seem relatively tight. Kinda hard to tell I suppose.

Both George (Sungod) and I had discussed in the forum the possibility of multiple sets for Kariya a few years back. Old thread is around somewhere. At that point in time i had taken the position that there was likely more than 1 jersey for Kariya because of some major variances in the position of the back number and letters between some photos. We never concluded either way if there was or wasnt multiple jerseys but even if there is, to conclusively say that this jersey is one of them is a challenge.

Here are the few problems i see.

Firstly we acknowledge there are at least 4 photo variances. 1 is the jersey without an "A". 2 is the "A" covering the stick. 3 is the "A" on top of the stick. And 4 is the "A" to the extreme right of the stick.

Essentially the jersey without the "A" could really be the same jersey as any with the "A" as it was added afterwards. This means we have at MOST 3 jerseys.

Now consider that the "A" was potentially realigned to different players due to injury during the course of the 6 games. This means that in order to have the "A" off of Kariya's jersey and re applied in a different position it would have to have been something like this.

Game 1 (no "A")

Game 2 "A" on the stick

Game 3 (no "A" - removed)

Game 4 "A" above the stick

Game 5 (no "A" - removed second time)

Game 6 "A" on extreme right of stick

Now i am NOT saying this is what happened. But this is the only way you could have the same jersey worn 6 times and have 3 different locations for the "A"

Other possibilities are multiple jerseys with different "A" locations which seems more likely to me at this point.

So if sungod can post the front of his Kariya and it shows removal signs in 2 places for the "A" then i am confident there was likely just 1 jersey.

But going back to my point in the original thread i had what i felt was conclusive photos of a different wild wing kariya which could or could not be this jersey we are talking about which would mean there were at least 2 jerseys.

These pictures show why customizers laugh at people when they claim something isn't "100% accurate. Some folks take a picture of a game jersey and then think it's the be all and end all of accuracy.

This thread shows you that even among gamers, things are different and as such, not 100% accurate to each other.

Maybe if is the real deal. If so, how much do you think not having an LOA affects the value? I mean here we all are assuming it's a fake, so it must have some impact.

It really depends what a person is willing to pay for it. There can be a person willing to pay 8 for it. It's all subjective. A thread assuming it is fake will due little impact if there is a collector out there who really wants it. The collector may never see this forum. There are NHL game used/ worn hockey forums that have more impact in the field than icejerseys.

The evidence to claim the jersey is fake were wrong. Fight strap matches the Mcsween and the set tag matches the inaugural jerseys. I believe the mcsween set tag connect the dots thread came off.

Sungod stated his came with a Meigray LOA. It seems the original team letter didnt accompany it as well. The ebay seller may want to contact meigray to have it certified.

My personal opinion: A wild wing kariya with certification is probably worth around 5,000...But like i said earlier. it's all subjective. There can always be a person willing to pay more for the item than what it is worth.

a few more pics:

72338868-apr-1996-leftwinger-paul-kariya

If you look at the top part of the 9 in Chowhound's photo. You will see the 9 point to YA. In this photo, you can see the top part on the 9 point to the IY like the one on ebay.

72478627-mar-1996-center-brian-bradley-o

Edited by EvilRocketeer

Having owned these wild wing jersey gamers the loa was from the mighty ducks and signed by troy whittingham. The team letters were all that came with the jersey originally.

When Meigray certified some they simply added a hologram to the team loa and issued a meigray loa with the corresponding hologram.

Edited by chow_hound

Having owned these wild wing jersey gamers the loa was from the mighty ducks and signed by troy whittingham. The team letters were all that came with the jersey originally.

When Meigray certified some they simply added a hologram to the team loa and issued a meigray loa with the corresponding hologram.

Believe it was Tory not Troy ;)

If you look at the top part of the 9 in Chowhound's photo. You will see the 9 point to YA. In this photo, you can see the top part on the 9 point to the IY like the one on ebay.

Ebay jersey pointing towards IY

28743c20-88c8-487b-a230-686c613ccd60_zps

9 pointing to IY

f92daa1a-110a-4a3c-acba-cf4822f06347_zps

9 pointing to YA

92f1f053-5fb9-4172-b79b-ef5963794893_zps

Edited by EvilRocketeer

ooof i re read the entire post here, theres a lot of ground to cover. Chow and i have discussed the possibility of there being two sets, i have always stood with the belief that there was only 1 set. I can say this 100% certainty about the Selanne Jersey but i am beginning to think because of the "A" there is a slight possibility there was 2 jerseys for Kariya. My jersey does not show very slight signs of a removal , again nothing conclusive.

The 4 jerseys i have own/owned did not come with loa from the team but 3 of 4 came with loa's from meigrey. My jersey is photmatched this the jersey has no match, the jersey i have is a 54 not a 54g .... I will stick with my original post that this is not a game worn jersey again this is my opinion based on what i see now is it possible its real? yes it is but i won't bet 10k

Sungod, where is your "A" located? Barely touching the stick or not touching the stick?

I personally believe there can be 3 sets of these Kariya jerseys. Definitely 2 sets. If you look at the photos I and chow posted. The 9 is angled differently. One jersey it points to the IY and the other points to YA.

Kariya was their franchise player, and it wouldnt make sense to only have 1 jersey for him.

I am of the opinion there is more than 1 Kariya wild wing. In likelihood there is 2 or possibly 3.

The first one worn was the no "A" version against los angeles. Its evident that the ebay jersey is not from that game. If we concurred that those 2 jerseys are legitimate then either Sungod owns the jersey from the debut game or he has a 3rd jersey and we can confirm 3 exist.

Have we dismissed the idea that someone either took a blank team issued jersey or stripped someone else's game won jersey, and then had it customized according to one of the pictures that have been posted?

Does the jersey show evidence that it had someone else's name/number on it? Where would someone go to get this style customization? Does anyone make these kits anymore? How easy would it be to acquire the Ducks Secondary Set patch if it was a blank?

Are there possibilities that we can rule out?

Can we get Kariya or someone who is his exact size to wear some pads and the jersey in question so we can see how bunchy or not bunchy it is?

Edited by DiscoStu

Ebay jersey pointing towards IY

2-vi.png[/url]

9 pointing to IY

2-vi.jpg

Positioning doesn't seem to line up, though.

In my opinion, I don't think that Kariya game photo definitively shows anything about the positioning of the letters and number. The jersey is baggy on him, and you can see both the right and left sides of the back of the jersey sagging down, while the center with the number 9 remains high. (Look at the white hem stripe, it's actually covered on the sides by the sagging edges of the jersey.) It's very possible that the top side of the jersey with Kariya's name (especially the right side of his name) is also sagging downwards relative to the 9. You can see a pretty noticeable wrinkle in the jersey between the 9 and the "IYA", which could easily make the relative positions between them appear to change, from the angle the shot was taken. So I don't think that photo shows for sure that the 9 is pointing to the IY; if you could stretch the jersey flat the 9 could very well be pointing to the YA, as in the other game photo posted.

Spoke to someone that decorated the Ducks jerseys in those days, however, not these, and he told me that Kariya never wore a goal jersey in any size.