The Third Jersey

SteveNJ

I'm not talking about the retros that are called thirds, I'm talking about the ugly, Wild Wing, Winnie the Pooh history of the alternate uniform. Have ANY ever been good?

Other than the Blackhawks and maybe the Mighty Ducks (Purple baseball style, not wild wing) no third jersey has truly pleased the masses, or at least the fans in that city.

So which ones do you have a guilty pleasure for?

I'm not talking about the retros that are called thirds, I'm talking about the ugly, Wild Wing, Winnie the Pooh history of the alternate uniform. Have ANY ever been good?

Other than the Blackhawks and maybe the Mighty Ducks (Purple baseball style, not wild wing) no third jersey has truly pleased the masses, or at least the fans in that city.

Ottawa's third is nice. The Ranger's thirds were ok. Buffalo's third, before they changed back to blue and gold was nice. The Wild's third, which is styled like a throwback, but isn't, since they have nothing to throw back to, is nice.

I like the Florida 3rd. It is pretty much the same as the rest of their jerseys except for the color, but I like the coloring they use on the 3rd. I actually think it is the best Panthers jersey.

Ottawa's 3rd are awesome.

Islanders 3rd are good, especially if you like orange.

Rangers have good ones, too, although the white ones were better, IMO.

Toronto's 3rd is sweet with the old maple leaf.

Florida's are solid, too.

Columbus has one of the better 3rd jerseys, also.

Edmonton's, Colorado's, San Jose's, Los Angeles', Minnesota's and Nashville's (OK, only in Nashville) are pretty popular.

I'd say those team's fans have taken a significant liking to those.

footnote on current jerseys: The San Jose home, Dallas home, Washington home, Philadelphia home, Pittsburgh home, Ottawa home, St. Louis away and Atlanta home jerseys first spent time as third jerseys.

I do own a Wild Wing jersey, as I found one for $20 at Sports Authority back in 1998. I also have a Tampa Bay blue storm at sea 3rd jersey, which I often wear. I missed out on the red Canucks and LA's King Vitamin jersey. Phoenix's 3rd jerseys were a love it or hate it design (I love it). You still see people wearing them at Coyotes games. I liked Vancouver's gradient 3rd jerseys (2001-06) but not the dopey drop tail.

I have to agree with everyone on their picks. Myself, I liked the Flames trojan horse jersey that they rarely wear anymore, remember when they used to wear it all the time. Then came the Black C.

I liked the picasso-style Phoenix third jersey, complete with fire.

I liked the stormy Tampa Bay one too.

Did not appreciate Wild Wing, the Burger King/ZZ Top Kings jersey.

What is the point of the Kings current thirds? They look exactly the same.

I like the Flames horse too Finny. And I like Colorado's third, if I hadn't previously mentioned that one. I'd say Ottawa has the best thirds in the league though. Of course the wild wing jerseys and other's like it were ridiculous, but there are definitly good thirds out there. I used to have a list of images of the worst thirds. There were some ridiculous ones I didn't even know about, like the Blues had a hideous music festival looking one. Just horrible.

I liked the picasso-style Phoenix third jersey, complete with fire.

I liked the stormy Tampa Bay one too.

Did not appreciate Wild Wing, the Burger King/ZZ Top Kings jersey.

What is the point of the Kings current thirds? They look exactly the same.

Phoenix's 3rd jerseys didn't have fire. They had the Coyote head on the front, geckos on the shoulders and the waist and sleeves were trimmed in cacti and mountains against a nighttime backdrop. The Phoenix Roadrunners 3rd jerseys from 1998-2000 did have flames shooting up the middle.

LA's current 3rds are more or less a purple version of their black home jersey with laces on the neckline.

Colorado's third is a nod to the retro style, but I still don't like the color combination of maroon and blue (not just because I'm a Detroit guy either; believe me, I'm sad that the rivalry is over because all the players are gone).

I liked the Sabres' previous third. That was pretty sharp.

I have the Rangers' and the 'Hawks' thirds. I rather like those better than their home or roads.

The Flames' black-C has grown on me, but I did like the horsehead. That was pretty wicked.

Thumbs-down to Atlanta, Boston, and Minnesota. I hear Dallas' third wasn't very popular, and I think we know how I feel about San Jose's.... ;)

Phoenix's green third had flames at the bottom

No. They didn't.

http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/9e/ag/cc_2.JPG

It's cacti and mountains...

There were a few teams who got rid of their thirds this season.

Here is a list of teams that have a third jersey this season.

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche

Columbus Blue Jackets

Edmonton Oilers

Florida Panthers

Los Angeles Kings

Minnesota Wild

Montreal Canadiens

Nashville Predators

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Ottawa Senators

Philadelphia Flyers

San Jose Sharks

Toronto Maple Leafs

Vancouver Canucks

Last season there were 23 teams that wore 3 or more jerseys (Vancouver wore 4).

Of the ones being worn this season many of the 3rd's are vintage jerseys.

• 5 weeks later...

I have found that the weirder and more disliked a jersey is, the more I need to have one in my collection!

I have a Wild Wing, LA Kings Burger King, Coyotes Peyote, Dallas Mooterus, Tampa's Stormy Weather, the Islanders Gorton's Fisherman and a Canucks red jersey, with only the Islanders not being an Alt jersey.

If it's so bad it's got a nickname, I probably want one. Unfotunately that probably means I'm destined to get a Buffaslug now...

As far as good third jerseys go, nothing beats the Maple Leafs. 10 out of 10. Although, that new Bruins old school alt is right up there with it.

Kinda like the Wild alt jersey, but really detest that "Machine" font they chose for the numbers. That's the font people always seem to use when they customize a jersey wrong! Something more vintage looking would have been better along with a few tweaks. 8 of 10.

The slug jersey is great though, it's just a poor logo choice (in terms of fitting the team - financially it hasn't hindered the success of the jersey at all...) but don't buy into it just because the never satisfied Buffalo fans gave it a nickname - the last Buffalo jersey was called 'the Goat' and hated just as much as the slug is now until we went deep into the playoffs with it and people got used to it over the years. I mean - buy it if you like, but not if you just think it's one of those awful grotesque jerseys in hockey history. Just my two cents.

Yeah - the third jersey is one of the most fun things in hockey. It's like a treat when your team wears them - unless they're hideous. Vintage is big this year, I think vintage thirds are being worn by:

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

Toronto

Vancouver

As well as Minnesota's vintage look third.

As soon as I saw the Wild jersey for the first time, I thought of the changes that I would have made to it.

They were obviously going for a vintage look and all my ideas came from Original Six jerseys.

alteredalt.jpg

The shoulder/sleeve intersection on mine is from the Detroit Red Wings, the stripe around the center from Montreal and the font for the name and numbers is from the Rangers. The circle around the logo on the front that they used is from the old Blackhawks style already.

I just hate the font the Wild chose for the numbers. It doesn't look "old time" and it's also the font people always use when they don't care to do a jersey with the correct font, so it makes me chringe whenever I see it being used. I also thought the truncated way the sleeve color stops when it meets the body of the jersey was a bit awkward.

JeffB

As soon as I saw the Wild jersey for the first time, I thought of the changes that I would have made to it.

They were obviously going for a vintage look and all my ideas came from Original Six jerseys.

alteredalt.jpg

The shoulder/sleeve intersection on mine is from the Detroit Red Wings, the stripe around the center from Montreal and the font for the name and numbers is from the Rangers. The circle around the logo on the front that they used is from the old Blackhawks style already.

I just hate the font the Wild chose for the numbers. It doesn't look "old time" and it's also the font people always use when they don't care to do a jersey with the correct font, so it makes me chringe whenever I see it being used. I also thought the truncated way the sleeve color stops when it meets the body of the jersey was a bit awkward.

JeffB

That looks really cool

That looks really cool

Indeed. Those look great Jeff. I'd buy one lol

alteredalt.jpg

JeffB

Good R&D, there, Jeff. No influence from the Leafs or Bruins? :) I don't like the font the Wild used for the alternates, either. Your concept looks like a winner.