TSN & CTV W5 - 3 Part Series on Counterfeit Jerseys

shandy_man

Starts Thursday with pieces on Fake autos and Tickets. Should be a good watch for us jersey enthusiests and those looking to better educate themselves from the in's and outs of whether a jersey is fake or not.

http://www.tsn.ca/faking-it-sports-counterfeiting-revealed-1.198040

Edited by shandy_man

The first episode looks interesting too, especially since it looks like they will test authenticators who have booths at sports shows to see if they really know what they are doing or if they are willing to sign off on anything for a price. My money is that they will do terrible and will authenticate anything unfortunately.

I think there was an issue like this too at the Meigray expo 2-3 years ago with Steiner. Not 100% sure though and could be wrong about that.

Reading the comments is interesting- pretty much everyone advocating fake jerseys is getting overwhelmingly thumbs-up ratings, while those who seem to know something about jerseys are getting thumbs-down.

Most advocating for cheap/knockoff jerseys are the ones who just do not care what it looks like and would still be satisfied with something that vaguely looks like the real thing. These are by and large most of the fans I see at the arena (Prudential Center) and most couldn't care less that what they are wearing looks awful. Many will even say it looks just as good, if not better than the real thing (they are usually comparing to replicas). There really is no way to make these people see the light so at this point its like pissing in the wind.

There are two things that this crowd says that does annoy me and one is saying that the real thing cost $200.00. Again they are usually talking about the replicas but I often tell them that if they are spending $200 on a replica then they are doing it wrong. The other thing is that they cry poverty over the cost of replicas while at the same time I see them at the arena with a $50 ticket, drinking 4 of the $10 beers and eating a $14 sandwich.

Reading the comments is interesting- pretty much everyone advocating fake jerseys is getting overwhelmingly thumbs-up ratings, while those who seem to know something about jerseys are getting thumbs-down.

This is one of the many reasons I hate fakes. The idiots who buy them will tell you "its good enough" and that "no one can tell the difference" and mock you for spending more on the real thing.

Its never going to cease to amaze me that these people are buying something to show they support the team, and by buying a fake they're advertising the fact that they're doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of supporting the team.

Most advocating for cheap/knockoff jerseys are the ones who just do not care what it looks like and would still be satisfied with something that vaguely looks like the real thing. These are by and large most of the fans I see at the arena (Prudential Center) and most couldn't care less that what they are wearing looks awful. Many will even say it looks just as good, if not better than the real thing (they are usually comparing to replicas). There really is no way to make these people see the light so at this point its like pissing in the wind.

There are two things that this crowd says that does annoy me and one is saying that the real thing cost $200.00. Again they are usually talking about the replicas but I often tell them that if they are spending $200 on a replica then they are doing it wrong. The other thing is that they cry poverty over the cost of replicas while at the same time I see them at the arena with a $50 ticket, drinking 4 of the $10 beers and eating a $14 sandwich.

This is what bothers me the most

What's the going rate for knockoffs? There's an eBay seller with Devils jerseys customized for $49.99, is that about average?

$30-40 last time I heard. Is that the seller that is selling customized replicas of Clarkson, Kovy and Parise?

What's the going rate for knockoffs? There's an eBay seller with Devils jerseys customized for $49.99, is that about average?

$30-40 last time I heard. Is that the seller that is selling customized replicas of Clarkson, Kovy and Parise?

No, not that I'm aware of. He's got Kirk Muller, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kirk-MULLER-9-New-Jersey-Devils-Home-red-/171568378238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27f245b17e

Tons of positive reviews for bootleg Devils jerseys actually if you look at his feedback.

Edited by mfitz804

No, not that I'm aware of. He's got Kirk Muller, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kirk-MULLER-9-New-Jersey-Devils-Home-red-/171568378238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item27f245b17e

Tons of positive reviews for bootleg Devils jerseys actually if you look at his feedback.

I find that funny. Sellers selling counterfeits get positive feedback but actual collectors will get negative feedback because the legitimate jersey had some marks or customization was off. Never ceases to amaze me.

I find that funny. Sellers selling counterfeits get positive feedback but actual collectors will get negative feedback because the legitimate jersey had some marks or customization was off. Never ceases to amaze me.

I second that. Non hockey story - once sold a game-issued NFL jersey on eBay that was essentially untouched from the time I bought it some years prior. Was made during the Reebok era of NFL jerseys where most gamers were made by the Ripon factory in Berlin, Wisconsin. Each jersey had a "Made in Berlin, WI" indicator tag on the inside, along the side panel. This jersey was no exception, but clearly was shipped from the factory with that tag sewn against the spandex side panel, instead of standing straight out.

The buyer that bought my jersey filed a claim against me for selling a jersey that was "not as described" because that tag was sewn against the side panel. EBay upheld the claim and while the buyer was friendly enough about it, still fully believed I was selling snake oil. I had to return the handsome profit made and take the shirt back. On re-sale, I ended up taking a bath on the jersey. Pretty much lost my interest in non-NHL collecting and eBay after that.

I can completely understand the argument from people that price is a motivating factor on whether or not to purchase a counterfeit versus a authentic/replica jersey.

That being said, I echo the sediments above and feel that people end up in two categories:

A. The people crying poor me about the price are usually the ones spending $150-200 a game on tickets, food, alcohol, etc... The best is when I hear this from people that own season ticket packages.

B. The people who said they look just like the real thing and you can't the difference. Really? It would be interesting to see if you put both jerseys side by side and said you could have one for $50 which one they would choose.

I do find it funny that counterfeit jerseys are OK, but what about if it extended to other things they purchase? Would they care if say their prescriptions were counterfeit?

I don't support counterfeiting - and I don't own any fake jerseys - but I don't begrudge the casual fan who has gotten one, knowingly or not (I imagine unknowingly, more often than not), and I am someone who cares about jersey quality. It wasn't that long ago that CCM airknit replicas went for 45 dollars - heck I think Dante Cozzi even sold them for 30-35 dollars. The jerseys had embroidered crests and patches - really the only difference between those replicas and the pro-weights was the lack of fight straps, and no double shoulders/elbows. Now, the quality of replicas has gone down considerably and the price has doubled. I don't recall that big of a bootleg market in the 1990s, outside of generic jerseys usually meant for rec league hockey that you might get customized at a local athletic store, but even that required effort on the part of the buyer. Even then, pro weights went for 85-125 dollars, maybe a little more in the late 1990s/early 2000s, and now, 300 dollars? That's insane. Of course the bootleg industry is huge now.

What really bothers me is that it's not that difficult to find perfectly good legitimate replicas on EBay for even less than a counterfeit costs. It just takes a bit of looking. My Avs replica cost me $22. Twenty-two freakin' dollars. That's less than most knockoffs, and it's the real thing. It looks better and you're not funding overseas organized crime by buying it.

There's really no good argument that proves buying counterfeits is anything more than immoral and on the borderline of illegality.

I think the best way to refer to them going forward is counterfeit and not fakes.

Counterfeit has a more negative spin to it than fake or knockoff.

I'm surprised they didn't get into the dirt floored factories with kids sewing them

It is online, just go to the TSN website.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/faking-it-jersey-ploys-1.202302

The series was done good enough I think, but it was somewhat misleading in certain aspects. In the first episode, they said AJ Sports was an authentication company. They are not. They organize the autograph event, and then after you get your autograph from the athlete sitting at their table, you get a hologram put onto your autographed item. Those other companies they mention, JSA and KSA, are the authentication companies.

I also think the majority of people who end up buying fakes online know they are not authentic. All they care about is the price. The show could also have mentioned a few other things like 1) more often than not, the jerseys that you see fans wear at the games are fake, 2) the stores don't sell the pro authentics, so there isn't even a true NHL jersey that you can compare it to.

Seem's to me they just helped sell a lot more fakes by promoting how hard it is to tell the difference between the fake and the real thing when we all know that's just not true in most cases.

It is online, just go to the TSN website.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/faking-it-jersey-ploys-1.202302

The series was done good enough I think, but it was somewhat misleading in certain aspects. In the first episode, they said AJ Sports was an authentication company. They are not. They organize the autograph event, and then after you get your autograph from the athlete sitting at their table, you get a hologram put onto your autographed item. Those other companies they mention, JSA and KSA, are the authentication companies.

I also think the majority of people who end up buying fakes online know they are not authentic. All they care about is the price. The show could also have mentioned a few other things like 1) more often than not, the jerseys that you see fans wear at the games are fake, 2) the stores don't sell the pro authentics, so there isn't even a true NHL jersey that you can compare it to.

Thanks!

Seem's to me they just helped sell a lot more fakes by promoting how hard it is to tell the difference between the fake and the real thing when we all know that's just not true in most cases.

That's one of the things I was kinda laughing about. Those law enforcement experts don't know jack about how to tell the fake from the real.

What a -poor job the reporter did in that and I agree with others as it will only encourage people to buy more fakes. He could have gone into how you can tell a fake from a real one but since these guys didn't put an ounce in effort into it all they said was "look at how close the labels are!" without checking or mentioning the materials, poor fight strap, shoddy customization, etc.

Also love the shot of the detective "examining" the fake jersey and studying it like it was the torah. I mean does he really need to study it just to determine it is fake!? I am no law enforcement expert on counterfeits but I can spot the fakes at the arena pretty easily standing 50 feet away.

They did go into the differences. I don't remember, at this point, if it was in the text or the video, but they mentioned the feel of the crests ("bubbly" vs. flat), the frayed stitching. Also, the lack of a Reebok logo on the jersey, and lack of a hologram on the tag. Also the quality of the hologram (legit will fade from "NHL" to "LNH").

They mentioned the hologram many times (I have already seen fakes with them) and I didn't see anything in the video about the frayed stitching or bubbly crest other than a very modest, passing reference to it. The two reporters at the end were sitting there just marveling at how close the fakes are to the real thing. The folks in China must have been jumping for joy at that.

They did go into the differences. I don't remember, at this point, if it was in the text or the video, but they mentioned the feel of the crests ("bubbly" vs. flat), the frayed stitching. Also, the lack of a Reebok logo on the jersey, and lack of a hologram on the tag. Also the quality of the hologram (legit will fade from "NHL" to "LNH").