The one(s) that got away

Guest Dr_Puck

Guest Dr_Puck

This week I picked up a jersey of a long-shuttered United Hockey League team. It's not a grail piece per se, but with the team disappearing more than a decade ago, I wasn't optimistic about finding one of their jerseys.

This has me thinking about jerseys that are either sold away or simply unavailable because of limited supply. I would still love to get a Cornwall Aces jersey (I had the opportunity but missed it as a kid) and a Williamsport Outlaws jersey (an FHL team that played its games outdoors for a half a season).

I'd be interested in reading about jerseys that board members don't have but really want. Any examples of seller's regret or where you simply missed an opportunity to get a jersey?

A number of months back there was a white Oshawa Generals authentic jersey on eBay I could have stripped and made into a Lindros. Instead of just entering my max bid, I thought I would just watch it. Then something came up and I couldn't be online when the auction was ending. Not only did I not get it, it sold for about half of what I would have paid.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Haven't seen one of those for sale since.

82-83 Bill Barber Flyers HSI playoff road gamer for $500.00. Went to do some research, found out what I needed in about three minutes, flipped back to ebay....,.and gone! I will never forget that one. :(

Edited by rob77ta

My heart breaking tale involves an authentic Hartford Whalers Shanahan jersey (my holy grail). One had come up on ebay, and I mentioned it to my wife, saying that it's all I want for Christmas. As the end of the auction neared, I casually brought it up with her again, basically saying that while I don't want to ruin a surprise, if she's not in on this jersey, then I want to be (as they don't come up that often). She got mad, told me to trust her and that she was in fact watching. We sat watching TV, her on her iPad as the auction came to a close. She didn't win, and was pretty upset about it. I'd told her originally that I expected the jersey to go for upwards of $400, and it went for just over half of that. It was as simple as her misunderstanding about the max bid, and not realizing that what you put in doesn't necessarily mean it's what you'll pay. The part that killed me the most is that I knew if I'd been the one doing the bidding, I would've won it. I went through a lot of phases of grief. Denial was a big one, I thought maybe she was acting like she didn't win the auction so the jersey would in fact be a surprise, I thought maybe she'd gotten one of her friend's to bid on it so it wouldn't show up on her ebay account. Just ridiculous theories, I couldn't accept that this jersey was so close to being mine, and wasn't. It was all for not though, it went down the way she said it did.

Fortunately, my story has a happy ending - just today I purchased my white Whalers Shanahan.

rob77ta, on 16 Jan 2015 - 16:25, said:

82-83 Bill Barber Flyers HSI playoff road gamer for $500.00. Went to do some research, found out what I needed in about three minutes, flipped back to ebay....,.and gone! I will never forget that one. :(

Wowza...my head hurts just thinking about it.

I regret selling this goalie-cut Hayward -

Jets198586RoadHaywardfront-vi.jpg

Jets198586RoadHaywardrear-vi.jpg

Partly 'cause I miss it, and partly because the buyer stripped it and turned it into a Hawerchuk...talk about a rare jersey foul.

I also shouldn't have sold this guy -

Kings198687HomeDionnerear-vi.jpg

Le *sigh*

Guest Dr_Puck

Ouches all the way around here. It's also giving me a reason to avoid eBay auctions.

Slim, that Hayward is (was) a great looking jersey. I can appreciate Hawerchuk but Hayward... what better way to recognize the guy behind the greatest goalie mask in NHL history.

And on the Outlaws jersey, I searched long and hard last summer for it. I even called the City of Williamsport to see if any had been left behind when the team folded. Nobody but nobody is going to give one of those gamers up.

Edited by Dr_Puck

My heart breaking tale involves an authentic Hartford Whalers Shanahan jersey (my holy grail). One had come up on ebay, and I mentioned it to my wife, saying that it's all I want for Christmas. As the end of the auction neared, I casually brought it up with her again, basically saying that while I don't want to ruin a surprise, if she's not in on this jersey, then I want to be (as they don't come up that often). She got mad, told me to trust her and that she was in fact watching. We sat watching TV, her on her iPad as the auction came to a close. She didn't win, and was pretty upset about it. I'd told her originally that I expected the jersey to go for upwards of $400, and it went for just over half of that. It was as simple as her misunderstanding about the max bid, and not realizing that what you put in doesn't necessarily mean it's what you'll pay. The part that killed me the most is that I knew if I'd been the one doing the bidding, I would've won it. I went through a lot of phases of grief. Denial was a big one, I thought maybe she was acting like she didn't win the auction so the jersey would in fact be a surprise, I thought maybe she'd gotten one of her friend's to bid on it so it wouldn't show up on her ebay account. Just ridiculous theories, I couldn't accept that this jersey was so close to being mine, and wasn't. It was all for not though, it went down the way she said it did.

Fortunately, my story has a happy ending - just today I purchased my white Whalers Shanahan.

If you want a job doing properly, do it yourself :P

Was gonna say, there are always a few of those on eBay. In 52-54. Been looking for a 56 for a long time, no dice,

A number of months back there was a white Oshawa Generals authentic jersey on eBay I could have stripped and made into a Lindros. Instead of just entering my max bid, I thought I would just watch it. Then something came up and I couldn't be online when the auction was ending. Not only did I not get it, it sold for about half of what I would have paid.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Haven't seen one of those for sale since.

There was????? i would have been all over that.....it was a ccm era jersey??

There was????? i would have been all over that.....it was a ccm era jersey??

There was. Might have been more than a few months, it was way before I bought the red one from you. And yes it was a CCM.

Edited by mfitz804

Was gonna say, there are always a few of those on eBay. In 52-54. Been looking for a 56 for a long time, no dice,

Yeah that's true, but I never really wanted to pay the price. And this one went for around 220, which I thought was crazy since a few days prior, another authentic Whalers (customized with a random no-name player) went for almost 350. So this was a steal by comparison.

Yeah that's true, but I never really wanted to pay the price. And this one went for around 220, which I thought was crazy since a few days prior, another authentic Whalers (customized with a random no-name player) went for almost 350. So this was a steal by comparison.

Yeah that is a good price.

Had home a away small block CCM Leafs that I sold and wish I could have back.

Clark and Salming? 'cause I regret moving both of those too :(

Burger King jersey for $10 at a local consignment store. Like a fool, I passed on it. When I returned the next day, gone.

$10?!

YSiA7-vi.gif

ASG Team Chara authentic on eBay in my size. I posted it here before auction ended On deals and steals and lost out at 145. If I knew how rare they are I would've definitely bid much more. Oh well. Still looking.

I saw an ebay auction for a new OHL referee/linesman jersey. I thought about it and moved on. Years and years later, I think it might have been fun to have bought it. I could wear it to a game and act like a moron to amuse my fellow fans. Plus it is something not every jersey collector has in their collection.

I once saw an authentic Ultrafil jersey from the 2003 MegaStars game customized with Guy Lafleur on ebay, and the right size for me, too. It is a jersey I want to own, but the jersey on ebay was not customized quite right. I bid up to a decent amount but my heart wasn't totally in it because of the customization being a little off. Besides, I don't mind replicas in the 6100 style because replicas are pretty close.

I eventually found a blank ultrafil replica (with the V patch) and I got it for well under $100, and I can go about getting it customized right. But, until I was able to find the replica, it was bugging me...just a little.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dr_Puck

How about a bump on this one...

I was thinking today about the Brad Boyes Pooh Bear Bruins jersey that I had in my hand at the Meigray sale last summer. It was on sale for $75, with no paperwork so I don't know if it was a game-issued or what. I had that thing in my hand and suddenly became budget conscious. Really wish I had that one back ...

When Beckett was auctioning the Ducks 20th Anniversary jerseys, they had Selanne's Home gamer on the block. The jersey happened to be worn for my 2nd game at Honda Center and it so happened Teemu would score his 1st goal of the season and I was there to witness it. It sold for rouhgly 2,500 and I was willing to drop about $4K but for some reason had a feeling it would go way over my price range. Totally regret not throwing down a bit.

Well just got sniped bid and lost a Dustin Brown jersey ive been watching for a while.

This one?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231484651704

Yup my fiance was trying to snag it for our anniversary since i got here a Clifford gamer but another gets away ha!

Guest Dr_Puck

The chances of him actually discriminating against someone based on their fan affiliation are slim on Ebay, so I see it as a bit of humor. He also chimes in about finding a "real Kings fan."