Advertising on jerseys :(

sungod661

• 4 weeks later...

I don't care if the advertising isn't on "retail" (AKA crap replica) jerseys, I want exactly what the players wear on the ice, but if there's advertising on there, I don't want it.

If this happens, I'm done with the hobby and will probably sell most of my jerseys. Honestly reading the news today is really turning me off of the hobby, and I don't know if I'll buy any more jerseys now. Could always stick with hats/caps....

I get both sides of the coin being a jersey collector and working in sports sponsorship. Is having a patch on a jersey going to decrease the performance of a player or the team? No. If the opportunity is too good for a company/team to pass up, why not sell the sponsorship? While I don't know what the extend will be with the jersey sponsorship, I honestly don't think the NHL teams will get too crazy with it. Teams do care about their brands, it's public facing so there will be thoughts and considerations as to who will be able to have their name associated with the team (at least you would hope most, if not all would think that way). The league will impose strict rules for all teams that sell jersey sponsorship to abide by so that there's some form of consistency amongst the teams that participate in the program such as size and placement. Especially since these are on the teams actual game jerseys, there will be an approval process. While I know the purists will call this blasphemy, but it's all part of the evolving business that sports has become. The bottom line for teams and their owner is financial gain. Sure finding on ice success is great and what everyone including fans strive for, but if it's not bringing in money, what's the point for the owner?

As much as I'd rather not see them on the jerseys, I honestly don't think it'll be such a big deal. AHL teams have sponsors on them and it's grown to be accepted. It won't deter me from collecting but might make things more interesting if you're trying to acquire a jersey from a specific season that had a particular sponsor.

I'm sure jerseys will still be sold blank and team shops might give you the option to add the patch for a few more bucks much like how soccer jerseys are done over in the UK so fans can choose for league or tournament patches

I'm sure jerseys will still be sold blank and team shops might give you the option to add the patch for a few more bucks much like how soccer jerseys are done over in the UK so fans can choose for league or tournament patches

What are you stalking about? Every big league soccer retail shirt has the team's sponsor, and you literally can't find one that doesn't. I have no doubt this would be the case for potential NHL jersey sponsorships too--if some idiot doesn't mind wearing your company logo on his jersey, why wouldn't you sell it with the logo included and get more free advertising?

For the record, I will never buy another NHL (or any other big 4 league) jersey the day they start including sponsor logos. I refuse to see the point in endorsing someone's product when they are not paying me to do so. You are feeding corporate greed and approving the inclusion of the sponsorship patch by doing so.

He's not talking about the crest but the event patch. Teams wear league or tournament-specific patch depending on which they're participating in at the time. A Premier League patch would differ from a Champions League or say and FA Cup Final patch. I think they even use different numbering on the backs too since those seem to always have the league logo imprinted into them.

Well, as Uni-Watch pointed out, ads on NBA jerseys have been "inevitable" for a few years now, but haven't become reality yet. The NHL also knows this won't go over easily, but they say this stuff now just to break the ice.

I'm betting on the Wawa Flyers anyway ;)

Edited by Ceska

He's not talking about the crest but the event patch. Teams wear league or tournament-specific patch depending on which they're participating in at the time. A Premier League patch would differ from a Champions League or say and FA Cup Final patch. I think they even use different numbering on the backs too since those seem to always have the league logo imprinted into them.

Yeah that's correct, F.A. Cup, Prem, Championship, Champions League all have different sleeve badges. Then also numbering and lettering is different for the Champions League atleast.

There have been recently a few shirts without a sponsor. Mainly I think because they can't find one. Also when Liverpool used to play away in France they had a sponsor-less shirt due to France's advertising law's (Carlsberg) and I think some other things mainly gambling websites have certain TV laws. I think it was Everton who had Chang or Tiger beer and they made their kids shirts without a sponsor too.

Barcelona were the last team to go without a sponsor. They paid UNICEF for a few years to have that on their shirt. They finally caved in too.

You look at the German leagues though. You can watch Dortmund for 12 euros. Mainly because a lot of their money is from sponsorship.

Yeah that's correct, F.A. Cup, Prem, Championship, Champions League all have different sleeve badges. Then also numbering and lettering is different for the Champions League atleast.

I'm aware of this, but I don't see how it relates to advertising. This would be comparable to how you can't buy an NHL jersey with an anniversary or Finals patch already attached. But the sponsor logo is always stamped on, and I suspect it would be for retail jerseys here too.

The only blank jerseys that I ever saw made available with the sponsor patch, for North American teams, was the San Francisco Spiders of the old IHL in their only season 95-96. All jerseys, authentic and replica, came with the SportsChannel patch right on the front. I really don't know of any AHL or ECHL team that makes sponsor patches available for sale.

It doesn't relate to advertising at all. I wonder why it was bought up?

It was brought up as the option to add the patch for retail jerseys, didn't have to relate to advertising at all... The AHL does it with their sponsor patchs. Take a look through jersey baron's inventory and tell me if any of his AHL jerseys have a sponsor tied to it (Manchester for example). I don't see the Catholic Medical Center slapped across it. Even Manchester's store doesn't have them on (although it could just be a stock image.) https://secure1.infinityprosports.com/virtual/manchestermonarchs.com/sites/201301/www/en/proshop/proshop/?i=165

Obviously the AHL is small fry compared to the show but there is that possibility that retail jerseys will remain as such and fans can purchase or obtain the patch on their own. While it's probably because of the way the contract is written and how much their deal is worth, technically couldn't the LA Kings have been adding the McDonald's patch to their retail practice jerseys, or Toronto with Purolator? (Obviously knowing practice and game jerseys are much different but just thinking out loud)

Upon hearing the news, one of the question that always lingers my mind, despite whether a company or club wants to allow for their logo to be sold on a jersey or not is if they are even allowed to in certain markets just based on my experience with some sponsors so that's my gut feeling with the recent announcement.

I'd only be passably OK with jersey advertising if it was done with small patches. I don't see the NHL going as far as soccer leagues have because there's just no way around the fact that (unlike soccer) the team's logo has to be front and center.

Anything close to European leagues and I'll be sorely disappointed, too. Keep it limited to one or two patches.

I love the ads on the euro/russian jerseys, don't mind the minimal ads on the AHL/ECHL jerseys but ads on the NHL jerseys would just all but ruin it for me. I'm already 1 foot out the door on the hobby and this would be enough to send me the rest of the way.

I just read this too. I love the quote from Brandon Sutter:

"I think that for jersey collectors ... cool uniforms will be out the window once you start putting ads on them. I think fans like collecting cool jerseys, and I don't think there are many cool jerseys with ads on them."

I'm a French fan of nhl and I am happy that there is no advertising on the jerseys of the National League.

In France, the jersey of the elite teams in the league are covered by advertising. It's very ugly !!!

Here's an example of my favorite French team : Les Dragons de Rouen.

IMG_1356_zps5ad71a31.jpg

Edited by Lemalin

I'm a French fan of nhl and I am happy that there is no advertising on the jerseys of the National League.

In France, the jersey of the elite teams in the league are covered by advertising. It's very ugly !!!

Here's an example of my favorite French team : Les Dragons de Rouen.

I'll be honest, I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I really don't mind this sweater. That being said, obviously there's a lot of potential and a lot more that could be done with that team name and logo, but it's far from the worst one I've ever seen.

Edited by TMLFAN
Don't quote pictures