Flyers 2010 Winter Classic Info

dsl135

Hey guys... gonna need some help here (someone get Johnny on the line!).

My friend and I ordered a couple of white Flyers vector 2.0's (preseason jerseys and game issued) to strip and have customized to 2010 Winter Classic specs.

We're looking at ordering this patch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Winter-Classic-Patch-Fenway-Park-Boston-Bruins-Philadelphia-Flyers-FREESHIP-/140637494904?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item20bea5de78

And then we get into the nitty gritty. I know there is some speculation abounding about what the actual material is for the nameplates. A lot of people originally thought that it was twill, but people with gamers were confirming it wasn't twill I believe. I also recall that maybe the letters on the nameplate may have been different?

So can someone confirm the following:

- Is this patch authentic?

- What is the nameplate material?

- What is the height of the nameplate (and lettering) vs. a current nameplate for the regular whites?

- What is the height of the numbers vs. a current number for the regular whites?

- Who customized these for the game? Ruberti's? Philly Express?

I'll be looking to obtain the correct nameplate material and finding out where exactly is the best place to send it to have it done perfectly.

Thanks in advance for the help!

The plate is ultrafil but I think it's the same black material they use for the crest just without the backing that is used for the crest.

Maybe rob can chime in he has one too

Edited by Flyers845

Here is the info on the nameplates- definitely ultrafil.

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=3000&hl=%2Bultrafil+%2Bwinter+%2Bclassic#entry42320

Here is the jersey Brilliant helped do for me. We stripped the letters from a current Philly Express twill plate that I had on there:

PoweWinterClassicJerseyAuthentic.jpg

The patch looks good to me.

Ok

The patch should be good. Looks legit but will have the plastic backing that should be removed.

The nameplate is black ultrafil which is serged around the edges. This material may have been used because of the glare that the black twill would have given off

closeup

100_6947-vi.jpg

The height of the WC nameplates were 4 5/16" (as compared to the 4" nameplates they use now) and there is 1'' of material on the left and right sides. My nameplate letters are a little under 3" - 2 and 15/16ths to be exact.

The numbering should be identical to the current white roads.

Philly Express did the jerseys.

comparisons

2010 WC

100_6988-vi.jpg

current road

100_6989-vi.jpg

Edited by rob77ta

Guess i need to have my WC redone then... I had philly express do it last January and they used black twill and the smaller nameplate but still put the orange 'C' on there without me specifying, i assumed they knew what to do

It could have been one of those instances where they used whatever they had on hand. Every WC game worn jersey I have seen has the wider plate. I can't speak for every jersey made for that game. Three sets and a warmup set were made. So 80 or so jerseys, who knows. That's a lot of ultrafil.

True lol, it doesn't bother me too much, especially since they're the ones that customized it, but i can definitely see myself trying to fix it at some point

This is some great info guys! Thank you so much!

So this is odd (though not totally unexpected).

Philly Express is saying that:

"2010 Winter Classic they introduced the new white jersey that they currently wear. Nothing has changed on the lettering of that jersey. It is a twill name bar."

I have black ultrafill on the way... pretty sure I'm just going to use that.

Edited by dsl135

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Winter-Classic-Philadelphia-Flyers-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-3-Oskars-Bartulis-/291097529044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c6c3cad4

Even this Bartulis seems to have the ultrafill plate.

This is the from the second period set.

I'm just asking Philly Express to cut the nameplates to 4 5/16" and not stitch the letters down. Figure this is the easiest way to go about it, either that or just saying "no nameplate" but I'm kind of curious to see some more info before definitely going with the ultrafill.

Who knows, since some are saying its a stiffer ultrafill, maybe I'll stitch the ultrafill to the twill plate and then to the jersey... Or not... who knows, lol.

More pics...

Giroux Second Period (looks like ultrafill)

819706883_orig.jpg

vanRiemsdyk (can't tell, might be twill... but the bottom right corner of the plate makes me think ultrafill)

19242.jpg

Parent (pretty sure that's not twill):

STUFF02063.jpg

Hartnell (looks like ultrafill)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/torraumabseits/14725619796/

Gagne:

http://nhlauctions.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f2f71c188330120a7c338f8970b-pi (small can't tell)

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/simon-gagne-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-stands-for-the-news-photo/95522018 (looks like ultrafill to me)

So that gives us:

- Pronger (ultrafill, CONFIRMED)

- Tollefsen (ultrafill, CONFIRMED)

- Bartulis (looks like ultrafill)

- Giroux (looks like ultrafill)

- vanRiemsdyk (not positive, but looks like ultrafill)

- Parent (looks like ultrafill)

- Gagne (looks like ultrafill)

- Hartnell (looks like ultrafill)

That's 8 different players that look like ultrafill to me!

Of course, I'm being told to "take the word of the company that made them over some random people who bought the jerseys online"... but I think this is looking like a closed case at this point.

Edited by dsl135

To be clear, I know some of these pictures aren't close-ups, but I'm judging by the amount of "waviness" along the edges of the plates, since twill is more rigid.

I'm asking that they give me a larger twill nameplate.

I have a swatch of black ultrafill on the way that I will likely use.

Basically, I'm just taking the twill nameplate from them for the purpose of them not screwing anything up. I'm asking that they not stitch the letters to the plate, and just send them loose.

Hopefully this all works out, but based on the research that I was able to find with all of these pictures (and the help of Rob and Greg), I'm pretty comfortable saying that the gamers used ultrafill.

And since we're doing a Pronger and a Gagne, we now have pictures that are basically proof that at least those two had ultrafill plates.

dsl, I'd suggest just getting the kits and having someone else sew them on for you. Just from my last two purchases from them, I've become more and more convinced that they don't pay attention to what their doing (i.e. sewing down nameplates crooked and sewing the captains' letter in wrong places) or that they just don't care.

Edit: whoops it seems like that's what you're planning on doing anyways :P

Edited by Girouxsalem

dsl, I'd suggest just getting the kits and having someone else sew them on for you. Just from my last two purchases from them, I've become more and more convinced that they don't pay attention to what their doing (i.e. sewing down nameplates crooked and sewing the captains' letter in wrong places) or that they just don't care.

Edit: whoops it seems like that's what you're planning on doing anyways :P

Yea, that's what I'm doing. They have definitely rubbed me the wrong way several times in the past.

I'm never going to forget how horribly they placed the Spectrum patch when I got that done there. I won't have anything other than current stuff done there again. They are obviously the place to go to make sure the kits are 100% accurate, but I definitely agree that they either don't pay attention or don't care with some things.

The kit, laying on top of my jersey:

IMG_5363_zps6fd66f25.jpg

What they did, saying the "patch doesn't fit there":

0313041409_zpsc052335e.jpg

Fortunately, Brilliant! fixed this for me... and he's who will be stitching these kits on for the 2010 Winter Classics.

Edited by dsl135

I was so upset with that one. Given the rarity of that patch, and the fact that I only got one out of the awesome generosity of a board member here, I was pretty distraught, worrying that it was going to ruin the patch to strip it, but likely it came off fine.

They had to be Ultrafil across the board. You can add Carter (2010 Expo) and Richards (owned by a friend of mine) to the list. I remember those auctions and all had the bigger nameplate that was Ultrafil. They aren't going to admit that the twill wasn't used. They have probably done a ton of WC jerseys for the public since then. Everyone would want them fixed if they admit Ultrafil was used...

Edited by rob77ta

They had to be Ultrafil across the board. You can add Carter (2010 Expo) and Richards (owned by a friend of mine) to the list. I remember those auctions and all had the bigger nameplate that was Ultrafil. They aren't going to admit that the twill wasn't used. They have probably done a tone of WC jerseys for the public since then. Everyone would want them fixed if they admit Ultrafil was used...

Good point. Well, I have the ultrafill, so I'll just have Mike use that. Hopefully Philly Express listens and doesn't stitch the letters down, but if they do, I'll just have to strip them off.