Recent Hockey News Piece - Wearing the jersey of a younger player

robersong88

Considering the money, time and effort by most on this board, anyone have any thoughts on this?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/why-its-not-cool-to-wear-the-jersey-of-a-player-whos-younger/

Personally, I totally disagree, it means that for most of us, we can't be fans of most players.

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read-- For now on I am going to wear jerseys of every rookie on my favorite team lol, hope I run into that idiot somewhere

This guy is a moron. I often ask myself "should I wear my jersey only to games? Is it dumb/not cool to bust it out when doing errands etc.?" Then I realize:

who cares?

Let's face it: wearing a hockey (or any sports jersey) isn't on the top of the list on how to be cool; if it was Fonzie would've had a Brewers shirt instead of a leather jacket. But I like wearing them. And I'm 39- I look a bit younger than that but I start to wonder if when I get older will I think I should "act my age" and stop wearing them?

And then I say:

who cares?

Life is too short to worry about this stuff. It makes me happy, isn't causing any serious harm to anyone, so screw it.

And I wear them. If I like a player on my team and think he's good at his job, I'll put him on my shirt. I'm not idolizing him, I'm showing my appreciation for what he brings to the team.

What a douchenozzle. How does an idiot like that get a job as a hockey writer, he should write for a mens fashion mag or some other pansyassed thing.

I love when idiots state their personal opinion as fact.

He can do we he wants and let everyone else do as they want.

Well said Louis... The guy is clearly an assgasket...

Here is a reply in a more recent column, to the comments he has received:

<<<Apparently, far too many fans care what one egghead editor ironically considers cool. For the few that caught the irony in the No. 1 hockey fan faux pas, a tip of the hat to you. For those that took the silliness much too seriously (“it’s not about fashion, it’s about coolness.” Really? That wasn’t a drop-dead giveaway?), feel free to lay the lack of clarity on the editor. As the saying goes, “in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is still king,” and he should have put it in braille.>>>

I think he's just having a little fun, and even if he really believes it, he's got a right to run his opinion and to back it up in debate. But no, I don't agree with most his his recent "jersey faux pas."

I also gave up on The Hockey News as a whole several years ago. Around the time they went from reporting actual news to running "sound bite" articles. And they're not even very good at that. The New York Times, for example, has run more more informative and in-depth pieces on hockey matters in recent years.

Complete piece of crap article by a joke of a writer. Obnoxious.

Next thing you know the guy will be saying that you shouldn't buy tickets to watch players who are younger than you.

I find it hilarious that people make a salary to write fluff articles like this.....I could write about stupidities all day.....I just wish I could have been smart enough to exploit the system and make a living out of it...

only wise thing to do: sell a few jerseys to afford plastic surgery.......and BAM ! you look 20 years younger, problem solved........and you prob. has enough money left for that penile enlargement as well...........- 20 years + 20 inches , look out ladies ! (or dudes , if you´re into that sort of stuff)

Edited by tomtucker

only wise thing to do: sell a few jerseys to afford plastic surgery.......and BAM ! you look 20 years younger, problem solved........and you prob. has enough money left for that penile enlargement as well...........- 20 years + 20 inches , look out ladies ! (or dudes , if you´re into that sort of stuff)

I have often wondered...if I responded to every one of those spam e-mails promising to "add inches", could I get it to be like the size of a telephone pole?

Edited by mfitz804

Shucks, I was going to wear my puck-bunny ears with my vast collection of Dougie Hamilton shirts.

Alternatively - Time to stock up on: Chara, Bergeron, Rask, Lucic, Iginla, Krejci, Bourque, Neely, Oates, Sweeney, Moog, Cheevers, Orr, Esposito, Bucyk, Dumart, Thompson and Schmidt shirts. Ain't it great to be a twenty-sum'n kid following a 90 year old team?

/s

Guess I'll need to get that Andy Bathgate jersey.

I have often wondered...if I responded to every one of those spam e-mails promising to "add inches", could I get it to be like the size of a telephone pole?

Indeed you could...............would be better if one were a blackhawks fan.........nothing beats wearing that jersey and then saying : "wanna see my totempole"