eBay version 4.0

dsl135

I've seen the occasional gem pop up from Lelands.  Being that they're an auction house with actual authenticators would give me a little piece of mind.  But, of course, like anything, you need to thoroughly do your research before buying.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've gotten lots of good stuff from them before. Off the top of my head, I got my Tom Barrasso 1987 World Championship jersey and Billy Wagner 1995 Astros jersey from them. Maybe one of two others too. I can't remember anymore. They are great because, being in Matawan, they're only like 15 minuntes from my office so they let me pick everything up in person AND pay in cash. No taxes or shipping costs is huge.

43 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

I've seen a lot of questionable items that they've listed during their older auctions. That Gretzky is another one of those.

I've seen a lot of questionable stuff from Lelands, but on this one the lettering is spot on for a set 2, and the tags look pretty good to me.  As long as they're only saying it's issued but not worn, I wouldn't think it's that risky.  Mike, what is it that bothers you about this one?   I'm probably not seeing something here.

It just screams of those old Starter blue jerseys that used to pop up all the time. I know MeiGray used to have one of these white unused jerseys on their website many years ago. From what I remember though, it didn't have the set 2 tag in it. That's what this kinda feels like to me. Also, those set tags were usually sewn over in navy thread on the white Liberty jerseys. But, I'll admit that I am being a little bit nit-picky there. It really just reminds me way too much of something like this:

https://www.greyflannelauctions.com/lot-38862.aspx

Any Rangers collector worth his salt can tell you that one is just wrong. They didn't wear the navy jerseys in 1998-99 and yet, there's the tag in the hem. Shocking! Not only that but it was "authenticated". Huh?

It all just seems a little too good to be true..and you know what they say about that. Call me cynical if you want but, without actual documented proof of origin, I would be skeptical of any Rangers-related Gretzky stuff. There's too much crap out there to take such a chance.

Thank you for the reply.  Iirc, MeiGray had multiple GI white Liberties, but I think they were all set 1’s with the 3-layer names.  And yeah, that Grey Flannel one is ridiculous; even if it was from a previous season, the lettering never looked like that on Starter blue Liberties.

This might be the first supposedly GI set 2 Gretzky white Liberty I’ve seen.  I guess I don’t know what to make of this one; you’re probably right.

59 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

I've gotten lots of good stuff from them before. Off the top of my head, I got my Tom Barrasso 1987 World Championship jersey and Billy Wagner 1995 Astros jersey from them. Maybe one of two others too. I can't remember anymore. They are great because, being in Matawan, they're only like 15 minuntes from my office so they let me pick everything up in person AND pay in cash. No taxes or shipping costs is huge.

I also noticed the white stitching on the set tag and the Velcro patch Gretzky wore. It’s all too easy for someone to take a set patch and Gretzky neck patch off of one of the millions of blue Gretzky knockoffs and throw them on there. 

Notice how both the red and the blue layer of the name is stitched on to the jersey.

s-l1600.jpg

Now compare that to the stitching of this game used Dan Cloutier jersey:

IMG_1376.jpg

Now compare the set tags: (Unless the Gretzky tags had is own specially set tag that they had a different manufacturer do).

Gretzky:

s-l1600.jpg

Cloutier:

IMG_1378.jpg

On 5/15/2020 at 11:38 AM, spudrock512 said:

Notice how both the red and the blue layer of the name is stitched on to the jersey.

Now compare that to the stitching of this game used Dan Cloutier jersey:

Now compare the set tags: (Unless the Gretzky tags had is own specially set tag that they had a different manufacturer do).

Gretzky:

Cloutier:

Screw the Gretzky. I’d sell it all for that Cloutier!

https://imgur.com/a/BdhB5NF

This is one of the MeiGray GI Set 1’s with the 3-layer names.  Each layer is stitched separately through the jersey.  There were probably variations, even in the color thread used to stitch the set tags.

• 2 weeks later...

Late 80s retail semi-pro with Maska tag cut out and moved up in collar, size M scribbled out and 52 written, originally listed as a game worn

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/313091145111?ul_noapp=true

I messaged them asking why they listed as gamer and a few minutes later they changed the listing title...then they responded with this

2v2HtuFv8xZ1VfS.jpg

"This jersey may or may not of been used during a regular season game but was def worn during a game. Tons of marks, stains (blood?) The thing that make me say not a NHL game is that there is no fight strap. Jersey make is ccmand maska air knit tag inside with size 52 written on it. The jersey is also signed on the back in black sharpie."

Craig Patrick played 75 games for the Caps between 1977-79.

Way to go Lelands.

2 hours ago, slimcutta said:

Late 80s retail semi-pro with Maska tag cut out and moved up in collar, size M scribbled out and 52 written, originally listed as a game worn

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/313091145111?ul_noapp=true

I messaged them asking why they listed as gamer and a few minutes later they changed the listing title...then they responded with this

2v2HtuFv8xZ1VfS.jpg

"This jersey may or may not of been used during a regular season game but was def worn during a game. Tons of marks, stains (blood?) The thing that make me say not a NHL game is that there is no fight strap. Jersey make is ccmand maska air knit tag inside with size 52 written on it. The jersey is also signed on the back in black sharpie."

Craig Patrick played 75 games for the Caps between 1977-79.

Way to go Lelands.

So you're saying I should add this to my Caps collection?   I love stuff that "get direct from source".  Nothing better.  Weaker than weak.

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I’ve seen some ridiculous prices of all sorts of crap come up lately on eBay. I think it’s because times are tough and these people are honestly just trying to catch that one stupid buyer for an astronomical amount to help pay their bills...

...but that one definitely takes the cake. 

18 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

I’ve seen some ridiculous prices of all sorts of crap come up lately on eBay. I think it’s because times are tough and these people are honestly just trying to catch that one stupid buyer for an astronomical amount to help pay their bills...

...but that one definitely takes the cake. 

Yeah I have noticed that too lately.  Some prices are just really out there.

I also like how it's the 2001-02 Devils Stanley Cup team.  It certainly brings a tear to my eye when I remember a particular fuzzy memory of Kamensky raising the cup that year.

Don't miss out on this bargain.  Probably should jump on the Buy It Now, because there's no telling how high the auction could go..........

Thrashers jersey bargain

I like the crunch it in a ball, out of focus photography style, definitely makes me want to pay $1,000 for possibly the ugliest NHL jersey ever. 

Fraying threads by the collar, some pulls and pilling, missing laces, and that last, nice blurry photo that shows absolutely nothing makes $540 opening bid a nice bargain.

It looks like a kid's jersey. That said, I actually wouldn't mind having one of those to cut up for nameplates. The material is impossible to find...even though I can count on one finger the amount of that style I've ever done for someone.

40 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

It looks like a kid's jersey. That said, I actually wouldn't mind having one of those to cut up for nameplates. The material is impossible to find...even though I can count on one finger the amount of that style I've ever done for someone.

I’m fully in favor of people cutting up as many of these jerseys as possible. 

2 hours ago, Brilliant! said:

I hope you find some material and a few more fingers 😁
I have a few that will eventually make their way across your machine 

• 2 months later...

For anyone that wants a robo Pens Starter mesh:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Authentic-Starter-NHL-Pittsburgh-Penguins-White-Jersey-Sz-58-fight-Strap/124316692037?hash=item1cf1da2e45:g:3~YAAOSwJCJfSenf

Size 58-G.  WAAAAAY too big for me to mess around with.  Few stains, but for the price it's worth the risk maybe.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Hey @thebiggoalie, found a perfect Rangers jersey for you. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363092832713

Must be a newly-designed Stadium Series jersey because the whole design looks like $hit.