Keenan coaching again

lafountain

I'll reprint a comment I read which states my feelings exactly...

If I were a Flames' fan, I'd be disappointed. What has Keenan accomplished since winning the Cup in 1994? He never got out of the second round with the Blues, Bruins, or Panthers. Arguably, all those teams were worse off after he left than when he got there. I don't know what he has done to continue to get chances to coach in the NHL at this stage.

If I were a Flames' fan, I'd be disappointed. What has Keenan accomplished since winning the Cup in 1994? He never got out of the second round with the Blues, Bruins, or Panthers. Arguably, all those teams were worse off after he left than when he got there. I don't know what he has done to continue to get chances to coach in the NHL at this stage.

DR- I hear you- I have sort of adopted the Flames as my Western Conference team and this is not good news- sure the old regime looked terrible in that first round series and on the road this year but to replace them with this guy? Forgettaboutit

Every GM in the league is just waiting for the official announcement, knowing that Flames prospects are about to become available.

He didn't do much in Vancouver either...

I think it's funny that Keenan gets rehired back into the NHL on the exact same day that he won the Stanley Cup 13 years ago. That being said, Calgary will probably have success initially because Keenan's the kind of coach who seems to inspire that in his teams...but after a few seasons, he's nothing but a cancer.

I think Wilson having receivd his first job from Keenan certainly was afactor but beyond that the players need a kick in the Arse because they definitely underperformed at key times last season.

I think it's funny that Keenan gets rehired back into the NHL on the exact same day that he won the Stanley Cup 13 years ago. That being said, Calgary will probably have success initially because Keenan's the kind of coach who seems to inspire that in his teams...but after a few seasons, he's nothing but a cancer.

If you check his record lately, the initial inspiration has been lacking for a long, long time.

Why anyone would hire him as just a coach is beyond me. It will be a power struggle from day one as he tries to get control over personnel matters to bring in "his guys". He can't be just the coach and has proven it several times over.

JeffB

If you check his record lately, the initial inspiration has been lacking for a long, long time.

Yeah, I agree but those were some pretty crappy teams. Boston and Florida didn't have nearly the potential that the Flames have next year. You have to give some credit to the man; he did take a last-place Rangers team to a Stanley Cup. I guess we'll see what happens.