How can I tell what season a jersey was from?

joe092690

Besides knowing what teams wore which jerseys in a given season, is there any way to tell what exact season a jersey has come from? It doesn't really say on the neck tag when the jersey was made for. I know it's a stupid question but I'm wondering for the sake of organizing my collection. I'm asking mainly about Premiers because those are what I own but this question may apply to Edges just the same.

For instance, I just purchased a Reebok Premier Sidney Crosby home jersey from a local memorobilia store. I know the Penguins have worn that same jersey since the 07-08 season when Reebok took over. Is there a way of telling which season it was made for, or since the Penguins jersey hasn't changed since then besides for vector-to-wordmark, would I be okay just categorizing it as any season I choose as long as it matches (it's got a vector so it has to be somewhere between 07-08 to 10-11) accordingly?

I guess what I'm asking is, is every jersey made selected to one season and if so, how would you go about finding out which year it was made for?

If we're talking about non-game worn jerseys (which, in the case of your personal collections, it sounds like we are), then a lot of times there is simply going to be a range. In recent years, for example, the difference between the Wordmark and Vector logo would help to differentiate a range if the team's actual jersey hasn't changed. In authentics, the difference between a 1.0 and 2.0 could also help to narrow a range, but you wouldn't have that criterion with a premier. In older jerseys, things like the rear hem tagging, jersey manufacturer, patches, neck tags, customization, and such can help narrow down or pinpoint an exact season.

On retail authentics, there is a small white, paper "born on" sticker that still looks like it was printed on a black dot matrix printer that is affixed on the underside of the Reebok tag in the lower torso area, as well as on the paper tags attached to the left sleeve. The sticker shows the actual date that the jersey was assembled.

Only challenge is that they don't always have the best adhesive on them and can come off relatively easily. If you wash the jersey, they will absolutely come off in the wash.

It is the most accurate way to determine when the sweater was made, IF it is still affixed.

I'm asking in terms of Premiers, which are more affordable for.

For instance, I'm interested in buying a Sekera jersey that a memorobilia store in Buffalo has on sale since he's gone and turning it into a McNabb jersey since McNabb took the #44 this season. The Sabres wore the same jersey last season but I just didn't know if there was any special tag saying the year or anything giving it away to make my McNabb #44 jersey another year besides 13-14, if you get what I mean. I'm big on being accurate.

Also, for the Crosby jersey I bought, I was interested in applying the shoulder patch used in 07-08 but wanted to make sure the jersey wasn't really another season's version. I would hate to apply the patch and find out the jersey was another season's edition.

However, it sounds like you guys are saying it just falls into ranges and there is no actual tag saying the year the jersey was made for. At least as far as Premiers go, which is what I was looking for.

For instance, I'm interested in buying a Sekera jersey that a memorobilia store in Buffalo has on sale since he's gone and turning it into a McNabb jersey since McNabb took the #44 this season. The Sabres wore the same jersey last season but I just didn't know if there was any special tag saying the year or anything giving it away to make my McNabb #44 jersey another year besides 13-14, if you get what I mean. I'm big on being accurate.

The only difference there may be is the Reebok tag on the back of the neck. It either looks like the top logo (vector) or the bottom one (wordmark):

343KUSC.png

NHL teams transitioned from the vector logo to the Reebok wordmark for the start of the 2011-12 season. They still wear it currently, so McNabb's #44 would be a wordmark jersey. Assuming the Sekera jersey was from '11-'12 or '12-'13, you should be fine as the Reebok logos would match up. If the Sekera jersey is older and from the '10-'11 season or earlier, a time when he was still wearing #44 in Buffalo, then the jersey may have the old Vector logo. If it's leftover from a few years ago, then the logo on the back of the neck wouldn't match the Reebok logo that McNabb currently wears.

This may also be applicable to your Crosby jersey... does it have the Vector logo or Reebok wordmark on the back of the neck? If it has the vector logo that used to be worn, it should be okay for an '07-'08 patch (assuming you're right that the jersey hasn't changed at all). If it has the newer wordmark, the jersey would technically be from 2011-present.

So, with the Sekera/McNabb jersey you want the wordmark, and with the Crosby jersey to match the patch you want the vector. Hope that helps.

The only difference there may be is the Reebok tag on the back of the neck. It either looks like the top logo (vector) or the bottom one (wordmark):

343KUSC.png

NHL teams transitioned from the vector logo to the Reebok wordmark for the start of the 2011-12 season. They still wear it currently, so McNabb's #44 would be a wordmark jersey. Assuming the Sekera jersey was from '11-'12 or '12-'13, you should be fine as the Reebok logos would match up. If the Sekera jersey is older and from the '10-'11 season or earlier, a time when he was still wearing #44 in Buffalo, then the jersey may have the old Vector logo. If it's leftover from a few years ago, then the logo on the back of the neck wouldn't match the Reebok logo that McNabb currently wears.

This may also be applicable to your Crosby jersey... does it have the Vector logo or Reebok wordmark on the back of the neck? If it has the vector logo that used to be worn, it should be okay for an '07-'08 patch (assuming you're right that the jersey hasn't changed at all). If it has the newer wordmark, the jersey would technically be from 2011-present.

So, with the Sekera/McNabb jersey you want the wordmark, and with the Crosby jersey to match the patch you want the vector. Hope that helps.

I know my Crosby is an older vector one, so that matches correctly. The Sekera ones for sale are wordmark ones, so McNabb's name should be fine.

So all in all, the jerseys fall into more of a range and not a specific pin-pointed year? I just didn't want to convert the Sekera into a McNabb and eventually discover some tag on the jersey telling me the jersey was made for 12-13 and then I'd have an incorrect McNabb jersey, as he was #81 last season. Obviously if the team releases new jerseys in a different year, they change but from what you all are saying, if a team wears the same jersey a few years in a row and doesn't change it, you can use it as a jersey for any of those seasons it fell under. There's no tag or any actual way of declaring it made for one specific season.

With your current jerseys (i.e., Crosby, Sekera), they're both fine to use in the ranges I mentioned. Authentic Edge jerseys come with the aforementioned by SnakeOiler12 "born on" sticker. This technically tells you when the jersey was manufactured, but there's no reason an Edge 2.0 made in 2011-2012 couldn't be used for this 2013-14 season as long as the team's jersey didn't change. The jersey would be identical whether it was made in 2012 or 2014.

With premiers, as you've learned, it's a range. With some of the older CCM jerseys, you can get into smaller differences that help to pinpoint more specific years/ranges (e.g., CCM logo on rear hem, type of tag, etc.). To see some concrete examples on some of the older game worn/authentic jerseys, go to Caps Jerseys and look at the "Jersey Details" tab, then click on "Tagging" and (for example) "Manufacturers Tags In the Neck." It will show you the variations by era and year.

However, with your premiers, you don't have to worry about that stuff. The only real thing I think you have to worry about is vector/wordmark narrowing the years, and if the jersey for the team actually changed.

With your current jerseys (i.e., Crosby, Sekera), they're both fine to use in the ranges I mentioned. Authentic Edge jerseys come with the aforementioned by SnakeOiler12 "born on" sticker. This technically tells you when the jersey was manufactured, but there's no reason an Edge 2.0 made in 2011-2012 couldn't be used for this 2013-14 season as long as the team's jersey didn't change. The jersey would be identical whether it was made in 2012 or 2014.

With premiers, as you've learned, it's a range. With some of the older CCM jerseys, you can get into smaller differences that help to pinpoint more specific years/ranges (e.g., CCM logo on rear hem, type of tag, etc.). To see some concrete examples on some of the older game worn/authentic jerseys, go to Caps Jerseys and look at the "Jersey Details" tab, then click on "Tagging" and (for example) "Manufacturers Tags In the Neck." It will show you the variations by era and year.

However, with your premiers, you don't have to worry about that stuff. The only real thing I think you have to worry about is vector/wordmark narrowing the years, and if the jersey for the team actually changed.

I tried to look at Caps Jerseys and it doesn't really show anything from the Reebok era. It all seems to be pre-04-05 lockout. Any ideas of anywhere else I can see the neck tags by the year from 07-08 to present?

• 1 year later...

I have a Authentic Blackhawks 2.0 that has to different dates on each sticker. The one on the tags on the sleeve is different from the one on the Reebok tag in lower torso. why would this be?

Because Reebok.