Alternative tablet to the ipad

Flyers845

We have 2 iPads at the house looking for something different for a Christmas gift. I'm currently reading reviews and comparisons vs the ipad like surface pro, but seeing what you fine people have or if you have an opinion on it. Thanks!

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. It's alright. I dont really use it much for other than studying (e-textbooks, powerpoints). I was drawn to it because you can write on it,but that appeal wears off rather quickly. Im sure if I sat there and tried to learn how to use it, would be better lol. Someone in my finance class had the Surface. If I could trade the Galaxy for the Surface, I'd probably seriously consider it. The Galaxy feels cheap, but the battery seems pretty good. It's also light weight. Depends what you need. I started to use my laptop more this past semester in school, so it defeated the need of the Surface. The Galaxy Note seems more appropriate for screwing around, while the Suface seems like a laptop alternative. The Galaxy is definitely more portable than the Surface. If you are interested in the Galaxy note, you can buy a keyboard attachment (which I did) and a USB port drive that plugs into the charger port thinggy (which I bought, but never tried to use).

I ended up getting the ANUS ASUS TF700T. Biggest reasons I got it were because it doesn't run Windows 8 and I could get a keyboard dock with a mouse pad for it. I passed on the Surface because Windows 8 sucks Jagr balls. I use my tablet mostly for streaming and occasional web browsing.

I have an HP touchpad that I picked up for dirt cheap when they were clearing them out. I loaded it with android 4.0 instead of using the s***ty HP os.

Just picked up an Asus T100 Transformer Book for my daughter for Christmas. It's a Windows 8.1 10.1 inch "laptop" with a detachable keyboard, so it is usable as a tablet. I went with this because it has Microsoft Office preloaded and was under $400 ($350 on black Friday for a 64GB model). Best Buy has a 32GB model cheaper. Highly rated and got a "best products" review from PC Magazine.

Recommended by most reviewers over the Surface.

I'm not a Windows 8 fan, but by all accounts 8.1 > 8.