Any fake game worn jersey stories?

steve108819

My very first "game worn" was purchased off eBay back in 1999 when I first signed up. Saw a Doug Gilmour home Leafs that wasn't bid up as high as it should have been. I thought I had the steal of the century when I won it for only $500. This was back in the days before I knew how to use the internet to research gamers. Needless to say I got screwed. What I got was an authentic jersey with manufactured wear. Oddly enough, it's one of my favorite wear around the house jerseys to this day. Even though I know it's not what I thought I was buying, it still takes me back to my first game at the Gardens. Anyone else get ripped off like me?

I'm not really into gameworn (partly for the cost and partly due to the fact that i'd never wear and enjoy them), but I really doubt you are alone. That said you didn't get completely screwed, the authentic is/was worth $220-250? At least $180 if the wear was really bad.

So you lost $300, bad but definitely could have been worse. I can see people losing double that or even thousands on a particular jersey style or player.

And it appears as though you are enjoying it and getting your use out of it. Is it safe to say that when you spend more on something you tend to feel out more value in it than what is actually there? Oh, what do I know....

Apparently I'm the only one who has ever burned by buying a fake gamer.

Awww, don’t feel like the Lone Ranger:

OK, not a gamer, but early on, before I got involved with this Board and the hobby, I was just looking for a blue Rangers jersey. I went onto eBay and found one that I thought ticked all the boxes: nameplate, numbers, fight strap, the right size for me. Oh, how could I have been so wrong? All the warning signs were there if only I had known what to look for. The name was radial, rather than arched. Poor materials, sloppy stitching, funky fight strap, and the numbers/letters sewn on with an embroidery machine instead of a zig-zag stitch directed by a human being. Part of the tearaway material was still behind the letters/numbers. I have learned so much by participation here.

The upside is/was that I only paid about $30 for this rag which still hangs in my closet as a reminder of my first venture into authentic/gameworn jerseys. I can also pull it out to show people what a fake looks like alongside the real thing.