NHL Game Center Blackouts?

mdwsta4

While I almost did it last year, this year I finally broke down and bought NHL Game Center. I know there are ways to change your IP Address to get a lower price, get blackout games, etc, but I figured I'd be legit with it.

That being said, I live out in Los Angeles now and mainly bought it for the Blackhawks (I don't have cable for NBC Sports or any other channels they're typically on). This evening I tried to put the game on my phone and received a blackout error. That's odd, I thought, but maybe it was because I still have a Chicagoland area code on my phone? Eventually I get home and try to put it on only to be met with the same blackout error!! WTF?!?! They're playing the F-in Blues for christ sake! Neither feed worked for me.

How do blackouts on Game Center work? I thought it was only games that were local to your geographic area (i.e., Kings/Ducks for me now) that are blacked out? If I can't watch a friggin Chicago/St Louis game in Los Angeles I'm canceling!

Yeh, nationally broadcast games are blacked out. Anything on NBCSN, NBC, or NHL Network.

It's extra annoying for me because they don't offer NHL Network in my area.

they don't offer NHL Network in my area.

Why not? That's stupid.

Well that is absolutely absurd. That means I'll miss 17 Hawks games including just about every good rivalry game. NBC-SN is all well and good for those that have cable. The rest of us are fvcked!

How can they block NHL Network games as well? It appears as though every Blackhawks game is being televised there?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?team=CHI

They only block the NHLN-US games (15 this season for the Hawks) but you're good for the NHLN-CA games (all 3 of them the Hawks play in).

Called an cancelled for a full refund. Sucks. Really wanted to watch clean live feeds this season. Back to internet streams it is.

The internet streams from the Gamecenter Live web site are blacked out too when they are televised nationally....

I don't think he was referring to the "official" streams :thumbsup:

Those are what I have to use when a game is on NHL Network.

Should just go with app that changes your IP address.

I'm in the same boat here as well. TSN2 picks up all the NBCSN feeds during the week, and as a result the Flyers are technically "blacked out" close to 1/3 of the season. With the Firefox app that changes your IP, I dont miss a game

I use a service called Unblock-us and I am able to watch every game on Gamecenter. There are two feeds per game and at least one of the feeds works. Also allows me US content for other services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. Easy set up.

I use a service called Unblock-us and I am able to watch every game on Gamecenter. There are two feeds per game and at least one of the feeds works. Also allows me US content for other services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. Easy set up.

That looks interesting. Might consider taking that since I get shut out of a lot of downloads, etc. when they see that the IP address is in Central America.

Related, I took the Sky satellite service here for $21 per month. They came out and put a small dish antenna on my roof. I now get an NHL game every night, although of their choosing. Law of averages says I would get to see the Rangers at least twice a month, although for October I’ve seen them twice, with two more coming up next week.

So for those of you with NHL Gamecenter, how many of you watch it on a computer/tablet versus a TV?

This is the second season I've watched it on my TV using either a Roku or my Xbox 360 and I love it so much more than having to watch on my laptop.

So for those of you with NHL Gamecenter, how many of you watch it on a computer/tablet versus a TV?

This is the second season I've watched it on my TV using either a Roku or my Xbox 360 and I love it so much more than having to watch on my laptop.

I use either my AppleTV to stream it or connect my laptop with an HDMI cable (because then I can do the mosaic 4-game thing).

I watch it on every platform, including my iPhone sometimes. It all depends on where I am. I travel extensively for business and if I am at a hotel, I will watch it on a laptop. If I am at home, it is on the TV through PS3.

Love Gamecenter and its flexibility.

I really like Gamecenter, especially with a lot of the new features they've added over the few seasons. Originally I got Gamecenter because they didn't offer Center Ice in my area, but now I can get both but I'm sticking with Gamecenter. It's so flexible, as you said I can watch it on pretty much any device now.

I thought that only worked for in-network games? How does that get around NHL Network/NBC Sports blackouts?

Should just go with app that changes your IP address.

I'm in the same boat here as well. TSN2 picks up all the NBCSN feeds during the week, and as a result the Flyers are technically "blacked out" close to 1/3 of the season. With the Firefox app that changes your IP, I dont miss a game