Scared I ruined my jersey. Please help!

letsgoblues

Hey guys, jersey beginner here so I'm just learning the basics. I wore my Blues away the other day and, upon hanging it back up, realized I had a small stain on it. I took it and applied stain remover to it and followed the washing instructions on the tag. I did everything according to the tag but when I removed it from the dryer (I only put it in for half the timed tumble dry low) some of the note was messed up. Some spots are frayed and corners are peeling now. I have included a picture of one of the damaged parts. Not sure what to do now as it's really bugging me. The only reason I used the dryer was because the jersey was sopping wet from the washer. It's still damp and wasn't even warm when I removed it. Any suggestions? And in the future, how do you recommend cleaning these jerseys? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

post-13609-0-69116800-1379393255_thumb.j

Well, that purple stuff doesn't look too good, but I'm fairly certain you'd be able to have that fixed. Looks like it'll require removing the frayed threads and having it professionally re-stitched, but it doesn't look like it's too bad. Now if the twill is damaged, you're pretty much screwed.

As far as washing - OxyClean liquid to remove stains, follow the directions on the bottle. Machine wash cold on gentile and NEVER put them in the dryer. Hang them up in a dry room and let them air dry, it might take a full day but it's better than putting them in the dryer.

Keep in mind this is a premier. I'm just getting into the jersey thing and don't have the money for authentic or gamer jerseys yet. Thanks for the cleaning tip. Do you think a hockey shop at an ice rink could stitch it for me?

It looks like the threads that comprise the edges of the note have peeled up from the back of the actual logo that's glued on. I'm assuming that's really not fixable.

Ahh, I thought that was a number that was stitched on. I didn't realize that was the embroidered crest of a replica. Yeah, that's gonna be hard to fix. You could still probably have it stitched back down, but I'm not sure how well that would work and I don't think it's really possible to glue it back down. Nothing wrong with owning replicas, I can't afford authentic hockey jerseys either. Baseball is another story because they're cheap, but anyway, you're gonna have a tough time fixing that because it's embroidered. If you have a place that does embroidery, you MIGHT be able to get it fixed. Best bet is probably to try stitching it down with the same color thread though.

Yup that's what I was considering was just pulling the corners back in. Honestly the corner that's worst is the one pictured. The other kind of frayed and the rounded part of the note got some loose threads but it's not the end of the world I suppose. I'll get the big chunk sewed down and then never, EVER, do this again haha. Thanks for your help man.

...but when I removed it from the dryer...

Eeek! Reluctant to toss a jersey in the washer, let alone dryer.

As far as washing - OxyClean liquid to remove stains...

OxyClean, depending which product you choose, can destroy a jersey. User beware.

Eeek! Reluctant to toss a jersey in the washer, let alone dryer.

OxyClean, depending which product you choose, can destroy a jersey. User beware.

Mike told me probably close to two years ago to use the OxyClean liquid because the powder can be tricky. I've been using it ever since and haven't had a single problem, some of my jerseys went through multiple washes when they came in because there were stains that weren't advertised in the listings. Worst that's happened to any of them is that they stink like OxyClean for a few days.

As I stated a couple times before...I talked with Lou Varga-one of the Blackhawks equipment managers from back in the '80's....

He told me to keeps jerseys looking like new:

Wash in cold water.....hand wash/delicate cycle-use Wooolite....NEVER USE DOWNY(or any fabric softener) as it destroys the twill and crests and patches....immediately remove from washer and line dry....never use the dryer....

Well I have been doing that since he told way back in '82 or so and all my jerseys-all 220+ look like they just came off the rack....

Hope this helps!!!

Keep in mind this is a premier. I'm just getting into the jersey thing and don't have the money for authentic or gamer jerseys yet. Thanks for the cleaning tip. Do you think a hockey shop at an ice rink could stitch it for me?

Herein lies part of the problem. The crests on the Premiers are a bit dumpy compared to those on the authentic shirts. The production quality of these shirts is sub-par since they're mass-produced. I've had the corners of premier crests start to peel even after just wearing and washing.

As for the money, eBay searching and a bit of saving will do your collection good. Many blank authentic shirts can be had for around $100, most of which are in good condition as well.

Just to reinforce what has already been stated here a few times:

NEVER put a jersey in the dryer.

Carry on.

My sister put my hextall jersey in the dryer. It was a 56 that turned into a 52 on high heat

It's ok, it was only a Flyers jersey.

Thanks for all the help guys! Not looking fixable but I bought it to be worn, it'll do it's job just as well with a few loose strings and a corner up. Annoying, but still effective.

You can get fabric glues in the crafts section of Wal Mart and glue it back down, it goes on white and dries clear. Put the glue on and put some weight on it, about an hour later itll be good.

Is it possible that the NHL teams are not putting jerseys in the dryer? I can't imagine they take the time to air dry an entire game's worth of jerseys.

Is it possible that the NHL teams are not putting jerseys in the dryer? I can't imagine they take the time to air dry an entire game's worth of jerseys.

If you talk to some members here, it's entirely plausible that some teams don't even wash their gamers. I know somebody here got one that reeked of sweat and BO.

If you talk to some members here, it's entirely plausible that some teams don't even wash their gamers. I know somebody here got one that reeked of sweat and BO.

Lol, I'm quite sure each team routinely washes their jerseys after every game. Some exceptions to this would be special event jerseys that are given away, auctioned, or otherwise collected right after the game. Barry from MeiGray sometimes picks up special event jerseys right after the game they are used in, and collectors in attendance at the game who pre-ordered them can actually take home their soaking wet, stinking jersey that came right off the player's back. I know my Kings purple vintage Legends' Night-used jersey was like this, and it's the only gamer I have that stank- all the others smell real nice and clean.

I would say based on the 24/7 series and Oil Change (tv shows following teams during the season) i have seen equipment managers washing and drying jerseys. However one key difference is that each jersey is washed inside of a draw string mesh laundry bag which id imagine ensures less damage from direct contact. Plus authentics are all reinforced stitched and dont use any heat seal or vinyl so there isnt any risk for temperature issues.

Fabric glue seems to be the way to go, thanks so much for the suggestion. And I'd say that you're probably right about them drying them. Seeing that it's all stitched the only risk is of jersey shrinkage. Low heat probably won't shrink them and considering it's all sewn the tumbling won't damage the logos or numbers at all.

Lol, I'm quite sure each team routinely washes their jerseys after every game. Some exceptions to this would be special event jerseys that are given away, auctioned, or otherwise collected right after the game. Barry from MeiGray sometimes picks up special event jerseys right after the game they are used in, and collectors in attendance at the game who pre-ordered them can actually take home their soaking wet, stinking jersey that came right off the player's back. I know my Kings purple vintage Legends' Night-used jersey was like this, and it's the only gamer I have that stank- all the others smell real nice and clean.

Almost all of my gamers came smelling fine so I assume they are washed by Meigray at least. Only exception was the one game wonder Caps v Pens Brouwer with Locomotive Memorial patch from 2011. That got to me stinking and only one game, so teams must wash them often.

I wash with Tide cold liquid on gentle, inside out, and hang dry. For stains I use Oxy Clean.

Almost all of my gamers came smelling fine so I assume they are washed by Meigray at least. Only exception was the one game wonder Caps v Pens Brouwer with Locomotive Memorial patch from 2011. That got to me stinking and only one game, so teams must wash them often.

From what I've heard, I don't think MeiGray washes the jerseys; the teams do before they are delivered to MeiGray. The exceptions would be, as I mentioned earlier, the one-gamers that are collected by MeiGray immediately after the game- there's no time for washing, and since MeiGray doesn't wash them, they arrive at your door still stinking. :D