How noticeable is the difference between Air Knit and Edge nameplates?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i know i am being a picky ###### here, but i want my jersey as close to perfect as possible. i have become quite the anal retentive jersey snob and i partially blame lurking on this board for this. ;)

an update: i spoke with city sports and tts over the past couple days and both told me that the team jerseys are now using airknit for the nameplates and that they have been for a couple years. i specifically inquired at city sports as to what they were using on the TEAM jerseys, not retail, and i was told airknit. which makes sense to me, same deal as putting the airknit on the 1.0, why put the edge material on the 2.0? plus the airknit is cheaper.

while this is something that is interesting to me, i wanted to pass it along here as i would suspect there are others here that might be interested. :stickhndl:

Just as an FYI the EDGE material that EDGE nameplates are made of is the stretch mesh that the back panel on all 1.0s and 2.0s is, not the Xtrafil material that is only found on 1.0s. So unlike putting air-knit on a 1.0, putting stretch mesh on a 2.0 is consistent with what is actually found on the jersey ;)

Just as an FYI the EDGE material that EDGE nameplates are made of is the stretch mesh that the back panel on all 1.0s and 2.0s is, not the Xtrafil material that is only found on 1.0s. So unlike putting air-knit on a 1.0, putting stretch mesh on a 2.0 is consistent with what is actually found on the jersey ;)

i had actually wondered if that was the case. thanks for the heads up.

Although I know most everyone here (including myself) prefer the "standard" nameplate material on their jerseys per team specs, as LAK74 said, teams will use what they have to as long as the color matches. Here is a pic of my game-issued Calgary jersey with material not even found on Reebok jerseys as a nameplate (I'm pretty sure it was concluded that it was Starter-knit in a previous post).

20130415075405.jpg

A lot of the problem resides in what CCM/Reebok ships out, and whether or not the bin in which the nameplates are kept has been stocked with the two different fabrics.

I showed this in this post in what we received from CCM/Reebok for one of our clients who uses 6700 airknit jerseys.

To answer the Hawks questions, the everyday players jerseys have all been Edge material. Some of the call ups and mid season trades were done with Air knit. I'm guessing if City Sports did the jersey it's edge, if it was done by the equipment manager it's air knit.

I'd bet this is a case of CS having the EDGE material and Troy & staff having old airknit fabric laying around. Troy (or any other team's EQM) wouldn't order EDGE fabric for CS and airknit for themselves.

TTS told me that EDGE fabric is more expensive than wedding dress fabric per square foot. I am not surprised if teams use airknit.

This is correct. The quote we were given by CCM/Reebok was $45/yard.

We've found it for $5.75/yard in white, $6.15/yard in colors.

Correct.

While City Sports does their jerseys, they aren't being truthful. I can assure you the core players on the Hawks this year are still using edge material, at least with the first set of jerseys used in the season...they are probably feeding that line to their customers to avoid having to use Edge material on customer jerseys or perhaps they did move the other sets over to air knit this year. The guys who just came over in the trade, be willing to bet anything those are air knit, but again usually the Eq manager does the trade jerseys. With how poor the workmanship is on team and game jerseys I'm shocked they bother with edge material for plates given the costs.

JY - you're probably right, I'm sure there's piles of air knit laying around that place from all the years of air knit jerseys.

While City Sports does their jerseys, they aren't being truthful. I can assure you the core players on the Hawks this year are still using edge material, at least with the first set of jerseys used in the season...they are probably feeding that line to their customers to avoid having to use Edge material on customer jerseys or perhaps they did move the other sets over to air knit this year. The guys who just came over in the trade, be willing to bet anything those are air knit, but again usually the Eq manager does the trade jerseys. With how poor the workmanship is on team and game jerseys I'm shocked they bother with edge material for plates given the costs.

JY - you're probably right, I'm sure there's piles of air knit laying around that place from all the years of air knit jerseys.

From the teams we do jerseys for, each pays a different price for their name plates. I have teams in the AHL paying $2.40/nameplate (EDGE) and teams in the ECHL paying $5/nameplate for a mix of airknit and EDGE, whatever they decide to send.

Maybe I should buy a roll of EDGE in each color and sell them for $4-5 each plus shipping. I'd make a killing! LOL

From the teams we do jerseys for, each pays a different price for their name plates. I have teams in the AHL paying $2.40/nameplate (EDGE) and teams in the ECHL paying $5/nameplate for a mix of airknit and EDGE, whatever they decide to send.

Maybe I should buy a roll of EDGE in each color and sell them for $4-5 each plus shipping. I'd make a killing! LOL

At least buy a roll of white. Too much to have in inventory to cover all the other colors.

You could probably make a living just on this site. You'd be the town hero if you had edge material to sell.

well, that makes me kind of sad if they would lie about it. i mean, come on. when i spoke with them at tts, they told me they had both actually, but that the hawks were using the airknit. now i am starting to feel like i was lied to by both. thankfully, i know enough now that i am just going to put the frickin edge material on it and, if mountainking is wrong, blame him for the flaw in my jersey. :)

j/k though mk, i appreciate your response. i figured someone here would give me a straight answer, as i suspected that i was being lied to, to be honest.....

I figure this would be a good place to ask this, so sorry if this is a minor thread-jack.

Does Xtrafil refer to the material on the back of Edge jerseys, seen on both 1.0's and 2.0's? Or is Xtrafil the unique material used on the main body of just the 1.0's? I've seen each referenced as Xtrafil, so wanted to clarify this.

X-trafil is the smooth material (not the textured, stretchy stuff) usually found on the shoulders and parts of the arms on most 1.0's only. Everything that used to be x-trafil on the 1.0's was replaced by air-knit on the 2.0's. X-trafil has a similar feel to ultrafil.

x-trafil bubble mesh is the front panel of the 1.0s

x-trafil stretch mesh is on the back of both 1.0s and 2.0s

So by your account, it's all Xtrafil on a 1.0, just different types. By LAK74's account, it's just the front panel and sleeves mainly on most (and only) 1.0's.

I own both 1.0's and 2.0's, so I have seen and felt the different materials, just haven't been able to straighten out which is which. I thought I knew, but then have seen some refer to them as different fabrics.

If you look at the materials tag on any 1.0, you will see the main materials are listed as x-trafil, bubble mesh and stretch mesh. The last 2 contain spandex, while the x-trafil doesn't. I personally don't prefer to call bubble mesh and stretch mesh x-trafil. If they were x-trafil, then there wouldn't be much sense in listing x-trafil as a separate material. Also, since the stretch mesh on the back panel was unchanged in the 2.0, you would expect to see the word x-trafil on the 2.0 materials tag, but it's not there.

By LAK74's account, it's just the front panel and sleeves mainly on most (and only) 1.0's.

No, the front panel (containing the crest) is not x-trafil, it's bubble mesh, as NYIJM29 said.

If you look at the materials tag on any 1.0, you will see the main materials are listed as x-trafil, bubble mesh and stretch mesh. The last 2 contain spandex, while the x-trafil doesn't. I personally don't prefer to call bubble mesh and stretch mesh x-trafil. If they were x-trafil, then there wouldn't be much sense in listing x-trafil as a separate material. Also, since the stretch mesh on the back panel was unchanged in the 2.0, you would expect to see the word x-trafil on the 2.0 materials tag, but it's not there.

No, the front panel (containing the crest) is not x-trafil, it's bubble mesh, as NYIJM29 said.

Aaah, I get it now. Never had any retail 1.0's, just a couple gamers. Never bothered to read the tags on my retail 2.0's. Went and looked at my gamer 1.0's and didn't realize the material difference between what the sleeve material was and front material.

It all makes sense now! :D

• 1 month later...

hey all. a question for those "in the know" here...

i inquired recently about the material the blackhawks use on their gamers for nameplates now. i was told that for the past 2-3 years (since they started wearing the 2.0) they have been using airknit and not the edge material on the nameplates. i currently have a 2.0 i need done and would like it to be exact. anyone here know if this is indeed true? thanks much in advance!

Hey man, if you want it done exact call City Sports Lettering in... I think it's oak park illinois, i know it's on oak park Ave. They do all the jerseys for the Hawks, taking mine in next week to throw Keith on it!

• 8 months later...

I would. With TTS, it may be the only way to be sure you'll get an Edge nameplate on the jersey. The plates JB sells are long enough for about 2 nameplates (unless you're going with Hjalmarsson and Teravainen :D), so be sure to have them send back the remainder so you will have it for the next jersey you need done up.

Should i buy the $15 edge nameplate from jb for my upcoming 2.0 hawks for when i send it to get customized? Im likely gonna send it to tts.

Definitely. TTS has told me EDGE material is too expensive for them to stock, so if you want it done right, spend the $15 and get the nameplate.

Of course, at that point, you might as well send it to CSL who does the actual jerseys rather than TTS. If you want 100% accuracy, that is.

I was gonna go with csl but i read tts is the same basically but better turn around time?

Turn around this time of year is probably about the same, although baseball jersey season is coming up soon so you'd probably want to get it in to either or. Word of warning - check with CSL on their plates, they generally only have edge plates around the time they are doing the Hawks jerseys. In the past they have often been out by this point or if they do have any they will not use it unless you request it.

I was gonna go with csl but i read tts is the same basically but better turn around time?

I have used TTS, they have done fine work, except the last batch I sent that took 12 weeks and came back with multiple sewing issues. I switched to EPS after that which only makes sense since I am mostly doing Devils jerseys.

In any event, based on what TTS has told me and what others have said about CSL, I would get and provide my own nameplate.

Did they say whether they would charge extra for the Edge plate?