How noticeable is the difference between Air Knit and Edge nameplates?

I am wondering how noticeable the difference is because I am trying to decide if I should send my Blackhawks edge 1.0 black jersey to Triple Threat Sports who uses air knit material or EPS who will use edge material if I request it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't like having an air-knit nameplate on a 1.0, because it introduces a 4th type of material whose texture doesn't match any of the other 3 already on the jersey.

Just look at a closeup photo of the back of any 2.0 and you can see the difference between the air-knit and the stretch mesh.

I tried to take a pic of a black 2.0 but the details didn't show up well, so white it is. Upper 2 and lower right quadrants are air-knit, lower left is stretch mesh:

image_zpsd54743f9.jpg

The hole pattern may look more obvious when lit from behind:

image_zps68786b4a.jpg

You're welcome. Careful though, you may be on your way to becoming a nitpicky maniac, like the rest of us. :)

You're welcome. Careful though, you may be on your way to becoming a nitpicky maniac, like the rest of us. :)

I was going to throw out another set of adjectives but nitpicky maniac is spot-on.

• 6 months later...

I couldn't find a thread on this in my initial search, (if one exists I apologize in advance)...

But how can you guys tell the difference with an air-knit nameplate vs an edge on if you have a customized edge jersey, (this is mainly about 1.0s but also 2.0s). It is just the feel of it? Or are their other giveaways?

Also, it seems most places don't give you the option to use them if you want it for customizations, do you guys buy them blank and give them to the customizer to use or what?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Air-knit and stretch mesh look and feel very different, and are easy to tell apart. There's a related topic here where I posted some pictures of the 2 materials next to each other in the same jersey:

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=5950

I'm guessing a majority of customizers won't use an Edge mesh nameplate unless you provide it. EPS is the only customizer I've seen that consistently has Edge mesh in just about every color you could want.

Haha, it's just a picture of your everyday 2.0 gamer... Easy to see the detail on the white fabrics. I actually like the other pic with the material lit up from the back!

Cool thanks!

My two EDGE jerseys (customized before I was really participating on this site) both have air knit nameplates. It's easy to tell if you look, but to the casual observer, they wouldn't notice. Hardcore jersey dudes like on this site will notice instantly.

Excellent question OP, I was just thinking this the other day as well. Does anybody know which material was used for the Pro Player jerseys the NHL used for one year? Were they still using air knit nameplates at the time? I also have another question. I do not own any edge jerseys because I believe RBK kind of ruined the hobby by designing those so now I only collect the old style ccm/koho so is there an actual difference in material that RBK used between edge 1.0 and edge 2.0?

Hey, this thread's been merged!

Pac_4_ever, the teams using ProPlayer airknit jerseys did use airknit nameplates in general. The airknit of the ProPlayer jerseys was different though, and did not have the same hole pattern as the airknit you see on CCM, Koho and Reebok jerseys. Colorado used mesh jerseys, and their nameplates generally were mesh, as far as I know. I say generally, because odd jerseys here and there may have been given nameplates of other materials, depending on what was on hand.

Materials in the Edge 1.0 and 2.0's are noticeably different, with the Edge 2.0's being made primarily of the same airknit you see in your CCM's and Kohos; the parts that are now airknit in the 2.0's used to be x-trafil in the 1.0's (looks somewhat like ultrafil) and bubble mesh, which contains spandex and is very stretchy. A good pictorial article on this is here:

http://prostocknation.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/pro-stock-jerseys-edge-vs-edge-2-0/

• 2 weeks later...

hey all. a question for those "in the know" here...

i inquired recently about the material the blackhawks use on their gamers for nameplates now. i was told that for the past 2-3 years (since they started wearing the 2.0) they have been using airknit and not the edge material on the nameplates. i currently have a 2.0 i need done and would like it to be exact. anyone here know if this is indeed true? thanks much in advance!

Although I know most everyone here (including myself) prefer the "standard" nameplate material on their jerseys per team specs, as LAK74 said, teams will use what they have to as long as the color matches. Here is a pic of my game-issued Calgary jersey with material not even found on Reebok jerseys as a nameplate (I'm pretty sure it was concluded that it was Starter-knit in a previous post).

20130415075405.jpg

Yes it's noticeable, to 99.9% of the population it does not matter, to some here it does not matter and to some here it does matter. It's your jersey and you need to get it done how you want it done. I have a few that were done with Air Knit nameplates, not a huge deal to me. To be honest if you're looking at it from a distance you won't really notice.

To answer the Hawks questions, the everyday players jerseys have all been Edge material. Some of the call ups and mid season trades were done with Air knit. I'm guessing if City Sports did the jersey it's edge, if it was done by the equipment manager it's air knit.

yeah, i know i am being a picky ###### here, but i want my jersey as close to perfect as possible. i have become quite the anal retentive jersey snob and i partially blame lurking on this board for this. ;)

an update: i spoke with city sports and tts over the past couple days and both told me that the team jerseys are now using airknit for the nameplates and that they have been for a couple years. i specifically inquired at city sports as to what they were using on the TEAM jerseys, not retail, and i was told airknit. which makes sense to me, same deal as putting the airknit on the 1.0, why put the edge material on the 2.0? plus the airknit is cheaper.

while this is something that is interesting to me, i wanted to pass it along here as i would suspect there are others here that might be interested. :stickhndl:

TTS told me that EDGE fabric is more expensive than wedding dress fabric per square foot. I am not surprised if teams use airknit.