Dangers of shipping to PO boxes?

Kaiser416

This guy on ebay (loob4goodtime, 0 feedback) won one of my listings, but right away several alarms went off. His paypal payment is pending a review by paypal. His shipping address is a PO Box in the middle of nowhere Alberta. I've seen some listings specifically outlining that they wont ship to PO boxes. I've never done so, and I'm wondering if there are reasons for that. Anyone here with experience on that?

i imagine that as long as you send with tracking, that you will be fine. express mail is pricey, but if it's a high ticket item, the extra $20 is probably worth it. sending a jersey usps first class to canada is usually around $15-16. express mail to canada is usually around $37, i think

if you're unsure, it's better to just risk taking the neg than to get screwed over (in my opinion anyway)

I think a lot of people when they say will not ship to a P.O. box they probrablly use fed ex or ups. Fed ex or ups can't deliver to a P.O. box I used to have a P.O box a couple,of years ago and had that issue.

If you ship with tracking, there is no additional risk of shipping to a P.O. Box. Its probably the UPS/FedEx issue described above.

If the total cost of the transaction is over a certain amount (I think it might be 350), you have to ship with signature and delivery confirmation, not just tracking in order to be protected from claims that the item was not received.

Not because of the PO box, but because of the other red flags you mentioned, I'd be more worried about possible bait an switch returns, or false claims that the item was no as described.

At the very least, it couldn't hurt to contact Paypal, explain the situation to them, and ask them if those red flags are common signs of any sort of scam. The only problem you face is, given this was an eBay transaction, regardless of the reasoning or the outcome, you risk getting a negative feedback. If you're just a casual seller, one negative feedback can kill your account. If you're a more hardcore seller, who already has over a hundred positive sale transactions, people might be more willing to accept that the negative was a one off situation. If you have only 8 previous sales, they'll likely avoid your auctions all together because of it.