Sublimated NHL logo?

AlereFlammam

Hey everyone

I was watching the Stars press conference today when they introduced Seguin and Horcoff.

I noticed that the NHL shield patch was sublimated onto the jersey instead of sewn on. Did anyone else notice this?

What about on the new Canes jerseys?

Hopefully this isn't a new trend!

Here's pictures of Horcoff and Seguin's jerseys from today. They certainly appear to be authentic so this may be worth watching. Didn't a handful of game worn jerseys last year (can't remember if it was a specific player, team, or what) have some softer/felt NHL logo on them? I seem to recall that.

VcJCGhi.jpg

zlAJwLG.jpg

rZPaFoY.jpg

Here's a close shot of it. I know the Preds had a different type of shield logo than other teams last season or the season before, but I'm not sure if it's the same as the ones in the picture

the all star jerseys from the past couple games have had the softer felt shield. Could be based on complaints from players that the points on the old shield were stabbing them in the neck.

Yeah its the same as the Preds have been wearing for 2 years. Its not exactly sublimated, its a softer printed patch thats put on. I think its nice and the players probably love it since it doesnt have razor sharp edges. Heres a cell phone shot of my Fish gamer-

lCMAHbT.jpg

It looks like the felt ones... only a bit thinner. This is the best picture I could find.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20130709-stars-new-centers-hockey_32067740_494163.jpg.ece/BINARY/original/Stars+New+Centers+Hockey_32067740_494163.JPG

EDIT: What brandon and TMLFAN said.

That was something I noticed very vividly last year on many game jerseys. It's probably just another step closer to entirely sublimated jerseys.

I actually thought it was pretty funny how players used to clip the 'wings' of the NHL shield on the neck. I have a photo-matched Brandon Dubinsky jersey like that. That friggin thing is definitely sharp and I know I wouldn't have wanted it jabbing me in my throat. I'm not Clint Malarchuk.

Definitely the same shield as what was on the Preds and All Star jerseys last season. Probably 2/3 of my recent gamers have the top of the NHL shield snipped off. Players must complain.

Three of the Kings players (Doughty, Brown, Richards) used the thinner shields last year.

This technique has been used on football (inb4 'soccer') shirts for years. It's called 'Lextra' and is sublimated layers of felt. A few examples here:

Lextra-Badges-Popup.jpg

This stuff is a pain in the Arse. It often gets caught on things and pulls off. You accidentally put a jersey/shirt in the wash at a high temperature? It peels off. The Republic of Ireland used it for their crest, but it's more used for tournament patches, the prime example being the Champions League logo:

$%28KGrHqJ,!hwFEDVsTqGpBRBltnsPug~~60_58

That was something I noticed very vividly last year on many game jerseys. It's probably just another step closer to entirely sublimated jerseys.

I actually thought it was pretty funny how players used to clip the 'wings' of the NHL shield on the neck. I have a photo-matched Brandon Dubinsky jersey like that. That friggin thing is definitely sharp and I know I wouldn't have wanted it jabbing me in my throat. I'm not Clint Malarchuk.

Reebok has claimed for years that sublimation is simply impossible and won't happen. Funny thing...they bought CCM, who had no trouble with it. They're owned by Adidas, who has no trouble with it. And Reebok itself has done stuff like this previously: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denver-Daredevils-RHI-Team-Jersey-/261233328555?nma=true&si=KrktmnVIynXr3WTMbwxL0LyYPP0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The reality is that Reebok has no interest in sublimating. They got the exclusive contract that they wanted, and they're more interested in churning out huge amounts of garbage at a grossly inflated cost. The cost to retailers for jerseys (both replica and authentic) has gone up nearly 40% since 2007, but the quality hasn't changed one bit. They heard for years that a mid price point was necessary to both help the shops and stave off bootlegging, and their response was to bring out the Indo-Edge and say it was exactly the same as a 2.0, just cheaper. (And not cheaper by any real amount either, we're talking something like 5% cheaper).

Three of the Kings players (Doughty, Brown, Richards) used the thinner shields last year.

I'm actually really glad that you mentioned that! I just picked up a Dustin Brown gamer from 2011-2012 and the first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box yesterday was that all the pointy parts on the top of the NHL crest had been cut off (and rather crudely I might add :P) which surprised me. I went through a bunch of photos and videos from the 2011-2012 season and noticed that last year at some point he started cutting off the points at the top, and I'm sure he jumped at the opportunity to get his jersey this past year with the thinner patch instead. Doughty's and Richards' jerseys on Meigray clearly show the thinner patch. My first thought had been that something was terribly wrong with my jersey but thanks to your post and a little research it seems to be the exact opposite and fits perfectly with the player.

I remember last year while watching the WCF vs Phoenix that at least one Coyote player (I want to say Shane Doan) had actually completely removed the NHL shield from his jersey, probably after it stabbed him in the neck.

Glad to set your mind at ease! I could tell just by watching the TV that some shields were different than others. Funny though, how I never noticed that Brown cut off the shield points the year before!

I remember last year while watching the WCF vs Phoenix that at least one Coyote player (I want to say Shane Doan) had actually completely removed the NHL shield from his jersey, probably after it stabbed him in the neck.

It was Ray Whitney.

uwjcg0I.png

The reality is that Reebok has no interest in sublimating.

Untrue. Every NHL team PRO SOCK has sublimated stripes now.

It won't matter for much longer. Reebok will be out of the NHL licensing game and it will be onto someone like Bauer or Nike to decide what direction they want to take the jersey thing, much like Reebok did with the EDGE series.

Untrue. Every NHL team PRO SOCK has sublimated stripes now.

It won't matter for much longer. Reebok will be out of the NHL licensing game and it will be onto someone like Bauer or Nike to decide what direction they want to take the jersey thing, much like Reebok did with the EDGE series.

Are you speculating that Reebok will not be the Official jersey supplier for the league for much longer or do you have inside information that a change is coming?

Just curious. Reebok took over in 2005/2006, and I have to admit that I do not know how long their contract with the league is scheduled to run before it gets extended/renewed or before the league puts the contract into competitive review.

The contract runs out pretty soon and their have been many rumors about the smaller companies working to take it back over.

There are always multiple bidders for contracts of this size and stature. I don't think you should get your hopes up because history always dictates that incumbents are hard to unseat and small companies generally have a hard time meeting all the needs of a contract as immense as this one.

I'd be really surprised if someone other than Reebok won this one because Reebok has been very responsive with the jerseys. The NHL gave them permission to try something new when they created the Edge jersey and when it didn't work out, they wasted no time replacing it with a product that was much more in line with what players wanted.

Fans might hate that they can't buy the same product that the players wear, but I guarantee you the league doesn't give a about that.

Are you speculating that Reebok will not be the Official jersey supplier for the league for much longer or do you have inside information that a change is coming?

Just curious. Reebok took over in 2005/2006, and I have to admit that I do not know how long their contract with the league is scheduled to run before it gets extended/renewed or before the league puts the contract into competitive review.

Reebok had an opt out in which they accepted. I would think that if Adidas wanted it (as owner of both Reebok and CCM), they could rebrand it all, however, Adidas has made no bones about the fact that they want out of hockey.

Imagine, an arena full of Nike Swifts for fans and players alike....

If the NHL goes to Nike Swifts they are going to need to use more sets in a season than a Steiner catalog.

Junkyard -- I am probably speaking for most on this board -- We really appreciate your insight and wish you post more. I look forward to your posts. You provide great insight!

Onto the subject of changing jerseys:

If Nike ever gets the contract and rolls out Swift material (I have a feeling it will be like Reebok where the players complain about the material and they make an airknit version of the jersey), I'll probably would not get a jersey. I absolutely hate the Swift material/cut.

I'm not saying I absolutely wouldn't buy any of them, but I also am not a fan of the way the jersey is shaped, and it feels like you're wearing a dishwashing glove or something... I also would think they'd be priced even higher than the 2.0's are now.