Questions on glacier twill

joe092690

Hey there everyone, long-time lurker here just joining. I've had some questions for quite some time on glacier twill. I'm only wondering about glacier twill on the Reebok Edge jerseys, the ones from 07-08 to present. Not worried about the jerseys (CCMs, Nike etc.) used in previous seasons.

All questions are regarding authentics. First off, which teams are supposed to have glacier twill on their jerseys? I've heard authentic Penguins and Avalanche jerseys have it. Is this true, and if so are those the only two teams to use this? Second, do ALL jerseys from said teams have it, including the two Penguins Winter Classic ones (both baby blue and dark blue) and the blue Avalanche thirds introduced a few years ago? Or is the glacier twill only on the homes and aways?

Lastly, if I am not mistaken, the glacier twill is on all letters, numbers, and "C" or "A" patches on the jersey. Is this right? If so, how many layers is the glacier twill on? Just the first layer?

Thanks for all answers guys. Much appreciated. If anyone can give me the run-down on glacier twill on the Reeboks I'd be grateful.

Welcome aboard! Can only speak for Avs jerseys, but glacier twill is only on the homes and aways. It's just the "top" layer on both - the black layer on the aways and the white layer on the homes (kiss cut numbers confuse the issue of what layer is on "top"). Glacier twill is also used on sleeve numbers and Captaincy letters on the front chest. 3rds use smooth twill all around, both the old burgundys and the current blueberries. For all numbering and lettering on homes and aways with glacier twill, it's only the most prominent layer. The silver layer is called "dazzle" and is like a silver glitter twill. The last layer is smooth twill.

As SuperTheGreat referred to earlier, the glacier twill layer is not actually the top layer, even though it may look like that from far away. In the kiss-cut Penguins example below (from a 2008-09 gamer), the white glacier layer is on the bottom, the gold border strip goes on top of that, and finally the thin black strip goes on top of the gold strip.

image-2_zps05b321b8.jpg

Thanks for the answers so far.

So it's just Avalanche and Penguins jerseys? And the Winter Classic Penguins ones and the Avs thirds are all supposed to be smooth with no glacier twill?

Thanks for the answers so far.

So it's just Avalanche and Penguins jerseys? And the Winter Classic Penguins ones and the Avs thirds are all supposed to be smooth with no glacier twill?

Correct. The two Pens WC jerseys were not glacier twill.

If you peruse sites that sell or auction off gameworn jerseys, like MeiGray.com, gamewornauctions.net, or classicauctions.net, they often have closeup pics that show details in the stitching and twill.

In order from top to bottom, Avs home with glacier, Avs 3rd with smooth white twill, and Pens WC style with smooth twill:

image-2_zps1d0de926.jpg

image-2_zpse31dde41.jpg

image-2_zps840975c1.jpg

I'll definitely look at those for future use. That's really helpful.

The last picture looks like the 2008 WC jersey but both the 2008 and 2011 WC Penguins jerseys have smooth twill only and not glacier twill?

Yes, neither WC jersey uses glacier twill (as stated earlier by biggoalie).