ProPlayer vs Starter Penguins 3rd

Hi everyone again,

So I'm wondering, I want a pro Penguins 3rd jersey. The CCM version is obviously out, since they were only made in small quantities (gamers as I understand), so I'm looking at either a Starter or ProPlayer. I realize ProPlayer wouldn't be an option for Lemieux, so I'm looking at getting Jagr for Starter and or Kovalev or Straka for ProPlayer. Can any of you experts on here tell which is of better quality? I mean if you had to pick, which company's authentic's would you prefer?

Thanks,

J

Proplayer, hands down, unless you can get your hands on a Starter Mesh jersey, which are hard to come by.

This question came up recently in another thread, but were there really any Starter mesh 3rds? Mike says he had an ultrafil one, and we've all seen tons of air-knits, but I've never heard of a mesh Pens 3rd.

Are starter mesh jerseys hard to come by for all teams that used starter or just the pens?

Pens in particular are difficult to find because the mesh jerseys were only made for on-ice use, and for a very short time only. Other teams used mesh but they were also available at retail.

Ok good to know thanks. I really like the starter mesh, what other teams used it?

Off the top of my head, Colorado, New York Rangers, and St. Louis. Somebody chime in if I forgot a team or two.

How could I have forgotten that one???

I don't know if the Wisconsin made Starter shirts are getting a fair shake in this discussion. I mean, yes, the Bauer knit Pro Player shirts are very tough and heavy, but I think the US-made Star-knit shirts are right there with the other knits in terms of build and durability

• 1 year later...

The last post in this thread is already a bit older, but regarding the Penguins 3rd can anyone tell me when Pro Player exactly did them because NHL Uniforms only lists the Starter version.

Thanks ;)

Like all other ProPlayers, they were 1999-2000 only. It's listed in the NHL Uniforms database; you have to click specifically on the 1999-2000 season, and then click on the Pittsburgh image.

Most, if not all of the Starter Penquins' thirds (Bruins also) were made in Haiti and did not come from the factory with a fight strap.

I think you must be referring only to the 1996-97's, right? The 1997-99's were made in El Salvador with the other Starter teams' jerseys, and from what I've seen there are considerably more of those around than the strapless Haiti ones.

I think you must be referring only to the 1996-97's, right? The 1997-99's were made in El Salvador with the other Starter teams' jerseys, and from what I've seen there are considerably more of those around than the strapless Haiti ones.

While I may be incorrect, the only Pens/Bruins Starter thirds I've ever seen were Haiti made without fight straps and reinforced elbows, as Angelo reminded me. They may have made some in El Salvador, but I never saw one. The Bruins one I have/had is a Haiti one. One thing to remember about Starter, in general was El Salvador made-retail, Haiti made-thirds without straps/elbows, and Berlin, Wi made-team issued. That is not a hard and fast rule. I can tell you that there are big differences between El Salvador and Wisconsin made Starters. And once again, there may be examples out there that contradict this, but this is what I know from my collection and memory of buying them at the time, especially during liquidation.

Sorry if it sounded like I was questioning your own personal experiences. I can only say that over the years I've probably seen a few dozen of these Starter authentic 3rds, and it seemed to me that not even 25% of these were the Haiti-made ones; the majority were made in El Salvador. My El Salvador Penguins (just so you know they exist) :) :

image_zps0046d303.jpg

Sorry if it sounded like I was questioning your own personal experiences. I can only say that over the years I've probably seen a few dozen of these Starter authentic 3rds, and it seemed to me that not even 25% of these were the Haiti-made ones; the majority were made in El Salvador. My El Salvador Penguins (just so you know they exist) :)

Nope, I didn't mean to come off defensive. It's just that the world of Starter authentics still fascinates me. That was during the heyday of my collecting. It's interesting that 15 years after they last made an NHL jersey there are still discussions about them. As I stated earlier, with them there were no real hard and fast rules.

• 10 months later...

That Kings throwback Starter mesh is the holy grail of Starter mesh in my book.

Back in August some guy had a Larry Robinson for sale. Not game worn, but authentic

http://gameworn.us/forum/forum/transactions/sale-trade/5498-kings-kings-kings-more-new-jerseys-added-prices-lowered

Edited by DiscoStu