Mid-season font changes

The Hype

No this isn't some crazy ethical question, but as a stickler for the proper customization when it comes to my beloved Ducks jerseys this really made me wonder. Now for the last few years, we know that Monkeysports has been doing the on ice customization for the Anaheim Ducks. Sublistitch before them, and the first were Cutting Edge sports in 06-07 when they overhauled their logo & fonts etc. We know that these guys are the only ones who can get the font spot on, especially when it comes to the alternate captain's "A" and the captain's "C" .

Enter exhibit A:

Teemu Selanne and Ryan Getzlaf at the beginning of the season, resplendent in their respective "A" and "C"

1601635981.jpg

1601635802.jpg

Now, later on in the season, exhibit B:

1646931791.jpg

1631833372.jpg

Interesting, no? It has me convinced that they aren't using Monkeysports any more (there's another telltale sign with where the namebar is positioned too), and that whoever they are using, is using the wrong font. But that's what makes this interesting for me, is that now that it has been worn on ice, does that make it wrong any more? Has this even happened with a different team at another point in time? Just something I noticed and thought I'd throw out there, seems like it could make for good discussion!

The "A" there is a noticeable difference but for the "C" other then maybe a bit bigger I don't notice any font issues.They haven't started selling their first set yet (they are supposed to within the next week or so from what I've been told) and in their listienings they always have a shot of the set tag so it will be interesting to see.

That being said, two years ago I believe there was a set of Getzlaf's that had the C sewn on completely crooked and that was from Monkey, so it also wouldn't surprise me if someone just messed up

Has this even happened with a different team at another point in time?

I'm sure variations of this type have happened many times before. The following 2 Flyers jerseys were used by Simon Gagne less than 2 weeks apart, but look at the difference in the "A" between the 2 sets, particularly the width at the top of the A and the shape of the serifs at the bottom:

Set 1:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/simon-gagne-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-stickhandles-the-news-photo/84095698

Set 2:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/simon-gagne-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-skates-up-ice-during-news-photo/84372637

I also remember Penguins jerseys from around 1995/96 with the "C" straight up in one set and slanted (italicized) in another.

Here's a good example of your point. This is from the first year of the new EDGE system for the Bruins. For the new jerseys, a new font-set was created, including those for Captains' letters.

patrice-bergeron2.jpg?w=300

However, in this picture (don't mind the douchey hash-tag, it was the only version of image I could find quickly), the A is from the font-set for the Bruins 6100 shirts and must have been recycled from the previous season.

BergeronWinning.jpg

And the shirts that the A was originally on.

73829410-patrice-bergeron-of-the-boston-

I noticed that too. I thought I was the only one. Personally I like the top font "A".

The Dallas Stars did this same thing, which made me lose my mind when trying to get my 95-97 Modano jersey customized right. (I believe mine is still off...oh well)

Sep 1995

SEP 1995 by tehsmason, on Flickr

March 1996

8595433859_82737fbd26_z.jpg
Edited by Smason

You realize that until the last 15 years or so, there was no real "standard".

We are far more anal about these things than the teams have ever been.

Last year, the Columbus alternate used two different "C"'s for Nash at the same time. He would wear 2 jerseys per game usually, and each had different C's.

138830923_slide.jpg
138844510_slide.jpg

Look at the Isles fisherman jerseys. I think there were 2 C styles and 3 A styles. Plus, Cutting Edge/Team put the 25th patches in different spots. Also, some were stacked, some were semi kiss-cut and others were full reverse kiss cut

This happens frequently with several teams. Most common is when a trade is made or late call up. Lots of teams use a non local crester for game jerseys and then on short notice have to find a local place to quickly do one up usually not to "team" specs. It keeps customizing fun for those who love details.

Last year, the Columbus alternate used two different "C"'s for Nash at the same time. He would wear 2 jerseys per game usually, and each had different C's.

And don't forget the use of N's for U's and U's for N's. I have found many examples over the years. Your Hunwick jersey is the best example since the letters are side by side. Also it's a JHM jersey with a wordmark so its a doubly wrong. :) IMO once it's worn on the ice wrong become right.

8120983961_19c5ebda01.jpg

The U and N are different on the Hunwick...The N is missing one serif (or the U has one too many serifs)

They should be different. It just that they used the N for a U and the U for a N. For this font the N has three serifs and the U only has two.

Here is a chart showing the "correct" N and U.

Letter%2520Chart.JPG

They should be different. It just that they used the N for a U and the U for a N. For this font the N has three serifs and the U only has two.

Here is a chart showing the "correct" N and U.

Ohhh. I misread what you wrote

Proof that hockey is maddening, same game, different fonts. Look at the Rs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neat1325/3324447488/in/set-72157607230462989/