Penguins Current Customization

flyhighguys94

I hate starting new threads but after researching all day yesterday and for the past 2 hours today I am stumped on where to send Penguins edges, i see House O' Hockey, EPS, Cutting Edge, and i saw one other company near Pittsburgh mentioned. I prefer to avoid EPS at all cost..never sent anything to them. So can anyone near Pitt help me out, is there a local shop? House O' Hockey is kind of expensive, $89.99 a jersey plus shipping. I hope to be purchasing a couple 2.0's so i would like the ensure that they are done as correct as possible.

Pro Knitwear in Pittsburgh does the team jerseys now, but I don't know how expensive they are.

The fella from Pro Knitwear quoted me $75 per jersey last spring, I wanna say...I called to have Jordan Staal done up, but never went through with it, for obvious reasons.

Please follow up with who you went through, price & quality. Final pics here would be nice.

I have used HOH & stand by them, but if Pro Knitwear is cheaper & the same quality I'll have to go there from now on.

Cutting edge just responded to me, completely unfriendly and they do not take PayPal..probably the worst email responses I have ever gotten.

Cutting edge just responded to me, completely unfriendly and they do not take PayPal..probably the worst email responses I have ever gotten.

At least you got a reply, they have never as much as replied to an email or voicemail I sent them.

asdf-vi.jpg

Cutting Edge didn't answer my e-mail either, but I did manage to talk to someone on the phone- a not terribly friendly or helpful young lady. I did get my kit done there though, and they did it pretty fast so I got what I wanted.

I don't know what you guys are waiting for here... This is a trend with lettering houses, they don't care if they offend some collectors who send in single orders. And before I get the whole "I'm a customer" bit from one of you, think about your order on a large scale, and be thankful that they even give a s- about it at all. I'm surprised CC or CE haven't burned one of my shirts with my obnoxious send-backs.

And Kurt, why would they take Paypal? I've never heard of any business outside of eBay and maybe some small online businesses needing to use PayPal. They take card info when they're ready to ship out and use their card terminal to process it. It's not like they have a sweet POS system to handle orders.

I think the majority of businesses take Paypal, in fact I can't think of too many that don't because its the most common form of payment. I don't know how giving out your credit card information to someone who isn't too friendly on the phone is good either.

And when it comes down to it, I run my own business so I have a little say here, it does matter about the customer. I can't speak for cutting edge personally but I can't imagine a lot of these companies can compete with eps. When you don't treat the customer with care your business is going to flounder, bottom line.

I honestly can't remember the name of the guy I spoke to, and I haven't gone through with the customization yet. A friend who's a Pittsburgh local and who does a lot of DIY jersey work swears by them too. If I can get his contact I'll pass it along.

When you guys send your jerseys out to get customized is $75 for the kit and them to sew it all on or is it $75 then extra to apply the kit?

I think the majority of businesses take Paypal, in fact I can't think of too many that don't because its the most common form of payment. I don't know how giving out your credit card information to someone who isn't too friendly on the phone is good either. And when it comes down to it, I run my own business so I have a little say here, it does matter about the customer. I can't speak for cutting edge personally but I can't imagine a lot of these companies can compete with eps. When you don't treat the customer with care your business is going to flounder, bottom line.

I'm not sure about your first point. Maybe PayPal is prevalent in paying online, but good luck paying for your bill at a restaurant using it. Brick-and-mortar stores (or any businesses with a physical facility) are going to be cash first, period. With the technology becoming more and more accessible, businesses are getting there on credit and debit cards. And I don't think a terse response in an email makes someone an identity thief, either. Maybe it's my Massachusetts experience growing up, but I have had no problem in working with Cutting Edge on the numerous shirts I have sent to them. They've taken down my card information with no problem, and then they ship quickly once the order is completed. Their stitching can be wonky at times, but talk to Brandon about that beef...

I don't know what your business is, but if you are a businessman, then you ought to know about the rule of 80/20, both in orders and in issues. We as collectors are the most particular customers these places have, making PDF charts with measurements from game-worn shirts and the like, and we probably don't even get close to making up 20% of their volume. The NHL and major league orders are not the only things that lettering houses do... so to say that Cutting Edge will flounder in the long run doesn't sit right with me. Firstly because they've been doing business for decades at this point. They have a name for themselves, and they push orders (I've seen it for myself). There are college teams, high school teams, kids-league teams across hockey, baseball, basketball, football, cheerleading, and more. And they potentially have corporate orders, wholesale orders, orders for department stores and sports stores, and so-on and so-on. What's to say that they're a flop of a business?

It's one thing when a business produces garbage and tries to push it on its clients, but it's a whole different game when the client is overly particular about every aspect of the experience, even going down to email communications. And that's just the thing - The ratio of particularity we demand is gigantic when compared to the amount of volume our orders provide to these businesses. Our orders are often counted in single digits for units, with the price on the order of $100, while our demands are collector-grade and more particular than the teams have it. So I think you're half-right. The customer is right when he's got the money to talk with. That's why when I sent back a jersey to Custom Crafted once, I didn't care that they held onto it until I sent in my next order 4 months later - That's the name of the game. If I were a heavyweight swinging big orders (Boston Bruins, New England Partiots, Bruins Pro-Shop, New England Patriots Pro Shop, Olympia Sports, Modell's, etc.), you better believe I would have torn them apart. But I'm just a college kid messing around with some shirts I get off of eBay. I'm just happy that they pull out their 90's and early 2000's fonts and do my shirts to spec.

I can't imagine what was so rude about the email that you are so offended, but in the end, the money talks. So take it to whomever you like.

I didn't even read through that whole response Angelo, took that one a little personally or something huh? We're talking about who customizes penguins jerseys and you just wrote a 4 paragraph response lol. I see your perspective though, don't fully agree but we are all entitled to our own opinions. If you have used cutting edge with success than that's good.

You are right in a lot of aspects, but as a business you know you have to care about the customer regardless.

And as others said above their emails to cutting edge never got answered, mine was responded to with as minimal words as possible and from an iPhone, that is a little shady to say the least. Didn't use a name, my name, or no kind of identification in the email.

And btw house o hockey quoted me at $90 plus shipping, custom names are $10 extra.

I wanted to form a coherent argument, and I did it. Shame that nobody will give a sh-t, oh well.

If people fail to see your points than that is on them, I see where your coming from thoroughly. Problem is with places like that, us as collectors truly mean nothing in the big picture of things.

Huh....I may just have to take my two blue jerseys to them then....

Did you happen to ask them if they have wedge material for nameplates for the blue models?

What do you plan on getting done up anyways?

Kind of a random question guys, but what fonts/materials did the Penguins use on their 2011 Winter Classic jerseys? Is it 2 layer for the numbers? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Kind of a random question guys, but what fonts/materials did the Penguins use on their 2011 Winter Classic jerseys? Is it 2 layer for the numbers? Thanks to anyone who can help.

I have a retail 1.0 authentic that I bought from an ebayer over the summer. I don't know who customized it, but I'm pretty sure it was done by the factory. The numbers are two stacked layer twill. The name is one layer twill on a plate that is the same material as the arms on the 1.0. I can't post pics from my phone right now, but the jersey is in my fotki "other jerseys" album if you want a closer look. PM me if you'd like some better pics and I'll take them when I get a chance for you.

I have a retail 1.0 authentic that I bought from an ebayer over the summer. I don't know who customized it, but I'm pretty sure it was done by the factory. The numbers are two stacked layer twill. The name is one layer twill on a plate that is the same material as the arms on the 1.0. I can't post pics from my phone right now, but the jersey is in my fotki "other jerseys" album if you want a closer look. PM me if you'd like some better pics and I'll take them when I get a chance for you.

Thanks for this. I was able to take a look at the pictures you mentioned. That answered my question. :thumbsup: