eBay selling rant: If you can't pay, don't bid!

Curry1fan

I figured the cheap arse could buy himself a footlong with the money he saved...

Only in February. Otherwise now it's a $6 footlong. AND it's only 11 inches.

a) That's what she said

b ) Or you can buy a Coliseum Subway hoagie that's a half foot and 2x the price!!!!

Curryfan, I understand your experience. I've listed jerseys for sale on ebay hoping to get around what I paid. Of course, idiot buyers send lowball offers. I think the best thing to do is either ignore them, or counter them and try to make a deal. Worst case scenario is the jersey is still up there for sale. At some point or another someone will come along and bid/pay the price you want.

Didn't know I would start such a huge debate!

I tried to work with one of the sellers who wanted to pay something lower. I gave him a price a little higher than what he had offered and asked him to let me know if he wanted to pay that. He told me he was at work and had to get back to me that night (this was on Monday), but of course he never got back to me. I did the same with another buyer, who, instead of responding to the message saying whether or not he would pay that, wrote back in all-CAPS and told me to call him and that he was "waiting" for me. Weird. My assumption is that neither of them were that serious to begin with.

Yeh I've gotten a couple of those recently with buyers sending me messages asking questions and wanting me to call to respond.

They were local items, so I guessed maybe people had that Craigslist mentality of doing everything via phone or text.

HEY I JUST SAW YOUR AUCTION AND THIS IS CRAZY BUT HERE IS MY NUMBER SO CALL ME MAYBE

LMAO! That's a guilty pleasure song for me. Just don't tell any...oh it's too late...

HEY I JUST SAW YOUR AUCTION AND THIS IS CRAZY BUT HERE IS MY NUMBER SO CALL ME MAYBE

LOL! That's priceless. Whenever I need a laugh, I just check for Guam's recent posts. This man never fails.

Curryfan, I understand your experience. I've listed jerseys for sale on ebay hoping to get around what I paid. Of course, idiot buyers send lowball offers. I think the best thing to do is either ignore them, or counter them and try to make a deal. Worst case scenario is the jersey is still up there for sale. At some point or another someone will come along and bid/pay the price you want.

If it's something I want to move I'll get back to even the low ball offers. Some of these guys are interested and want the jersey and they're just trying to get it at a rock bottom price. I'll sometimes respond with a counter offer but more often I'll just message them asking if they want it we can try and meet somewhere in the middle but no low balls. I always go back and forth on this one, it's a tough place to be in because I've worked out many good deals on this method, I've always had guys who were just jackasses about it because you won't give it to them for free.

Didn't know I would start such a huge debate!

I tried to work with one of the sellers who wanted to pay something lower. I gave him a price a little higher than what he had offered and asked him to let me know if he wanted to pay that. He told me he was at work and had to get back to me that night (this was on Monday), but of course he never got back to me. I did the same with another buyer, who, instead of responding to the message saying whether or not he would pay that, wrote back in all-CAPS and told me to call him and that he was "waiting" for me. Weird. My assumption is that neither of them were that serious to begin with.

I think it's fair to go slightly higher on ebay because of the ebay & Paypal fees. When you're looking at over 10% on fees, it can add up.

If it's something I want to move I'll get back to even the low ball offers. Some of these guys are interested and want the jersey and they're just trying to get it at a rock bottom price. I'll sometimes respond with a counter offer but more often I'll just message them asking if they want it we can try and meet somewhere in the middle but no low balls. I always go back and forth on this one, it's a tough place to be in because I've worked out many good deals on this method, I've always had guys who were just jackasses about it because you won't give it to them for free.

I hear you man, I usually try to aim for meeting in the middle. I also try and offer to split the shipping costs to be fair as well. I think people will be willing to work with you within reason. But I agree you're always going to get those idiots who try and chisel you down then don't reply if it's not their desired price. SMH.

I think it's fair to go slightly higher on ebay because of the ebay & Paypal fees. When you're looking at over 10% on fees, it can add up.

I hear you man, I usually try to aim for meeting in the middle. I also try and offer to split the shipping costs to be fair as well. I think people will be willing to work with you within reason. But I agree you're always going to get those idiots who try and chisel you down then don't reply if it's not their desired price. SMH.

For sure. One thing of note, and I'm sure a few folks here have done it. If I see something that's been on ebay for a long period of time I'll generally throw a very low ball offer out to the seller. These type of situations are either the guys just waiting until somebody bite on his price or the seller has no clue of the real value and hasn't had any offers because of the high asking price. More often it seems like it's the later and I've gotten some great deals through this method. I don't think however I've ever bargain hunted with the purpose of reselling. The amount of time it can take just isn't worth it for the profit you would get.

:noway:

another one today:

hello, would offer you 65.00 shipped for the jersey if it does not sell on your auction. Please let me know if you wiash to make some kind of deal check my feedback I pay asap Regards, everett
- markpsf49er

i have it listed for $100.00 plus shipping so I countered with i'll do it for $100.00 shipped!

:thumbsup:

Well, just to close the loop here, I ended up re-listing what didn't sell for the THIRD time. Yes, I am persistent. Anyway, I tried knocking down the prices by $50 instead of $25 like I was doing. That seemed to help, as I moved five jerseys this time and made close to $500. Not ideal, but I will take it...especially being self-employed and having a huge tax bill!