eBay selling rant: If you can't pay, don't bid!

Curry1fan

I am trying to dump some old jerseys, about 15 or so, that I am no longer attached to/wear. I list the starting price sort of higher, as I didn't exactly get all these jerseys for free (the majority I am trying to sell are authentics or game worn), and it seems like a lot of people think they can talk me into letting them have the jersey for a very low price or think they don't have to pay at least the starting bid! :noway:

For example, I listed two jerseys for sale with a starting bid of $150. A buyer e-mailed me and asked if I would be interested in a package deal for the two at $300. I said I would be, but I couldn't end the listing early to sell the jerseys to them. They said they would keep watching the listing. Yesterday, after the auctions ended with no buyers, the same person e-mailed me back and now wants to pay $125 for one of the jerseys with no mention of the other one they wanted to buy!

I am also selling a non-hockey jersey, a Derek Jeter replica jersey from the 2010 MLB All-Star Game. I paid good money for it in the Yankees Clubhouse store in NYC, and I set the auction to reflect this. Someone e-mailed me after the listing ended and wanted to see if I'd take $55 for it, which is about half of what I paid originally! There was no way I was going to sell it for that little.

This is so frustrating and I was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with the same thing on eBay. The first time around I tried to sell some jerseys, which was a couple of months back, I had buyers doing the exact same thing, asking me to lower prices for them by ridiculous amounts. What is with people? Personally, when I am a bidder, I don't try to go for anything out of my price range, and I would never e-mail a seller asking them to lower the price for me. I have used the best offer button a couple of times and gotten jerseys that way, but I don't have that on my auction.

What should I do about this? Do I need a disclaimer in my listings or something about the pricing, or should I stop responding to buyers who obviously think they don't have to pay what is listed? I can't just practically give away all my jerseys, as I need to make money too.

From your title it sounded like people bidded but didn't pay, but form your post it sounds like they were just inquiring then trying to get a better deal. I've sold a handful of jerseys and tons of other stuff on ebay over the years and generally don't get messages like that. That being said I also collect team(s) that aren't high sought after so having a smaller audience might help with not having as many jack asses. It's a buyers market really tho, if they aren't selling with minimum bids that just means no one is willing to pay that right now. Does that mean it will never sell for that? No, but who knows how long it will take. I've had stuff before I've listed for months with minimum bids never placed then all of a sudden sell with 4-5 bids. I'm the same as you, I don't ask people if they will take less but at the same time I don't blame others for trying especially if it's something they've seen listed a few times and no bids. Why not take a chance and make an offer, there are a lot of poeple out there that will sell for a lot less then they post. As long as they are respectible about it and if you decline (respectifully as well) they don't curse you out it's ok. While it does suck that they may have offered to buy multiple jerseys then switched to just one, sometimes people have bills come up, or in between they found another jersey they want and just don't have the extra coin laying around anymore to commit to what they offered a week or two ago.

What should I do about this? Do I need a disclaimer in my listings or something about the pricing, or should I stop responding to buyers who obviously think they don't have to pay what is listed? I can't just practically give away all my jerseys, as I need to make money too.

Grain of salt.

Although some members here will object to my facetious methods, in the event someone really low-balls you, I would highly encourage you to humour these requests with equally inacceptable counter-offers. If nothing else, it'll help appease your frustrations :D

For example - I have a pair of shoes that I bought a few years ago and totally forgot about. I was recently doing some cleaning in a spare bedroom, and re-discovered them sitting in the back of the closet. After going 'Oh yeah, these things!', I kinda gave them a 2nd look, and realized I don't really like 'em as much as I did when I first bought them, so I decided to sell 'em locally -

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/Brand-New-Adidas-Superstar-II-Mens-Shoe-12_19049935

I'm asking $65, but, of course, would be happy taking a best offer of $40-50 bucks even though I know I'll be losing on them from what I originally paid. Anything less and I might as well just keep 'em/wear 'em.

So I received a low-ball offer from someone who asked -

"Hi, would you take $20?"

So I responded -

"No thanks. I bought these retail and don't want to lose to much on them. How 'bout $50?"

Buyer -

"No, I'm only looking to spend about $20"

Me -

"Well, I do have a similar pair of Superstar IIs that I've been wearing for the past year or so...I'll sell you those for $20"

Buyer (taking me seriously) -

"No, that's ok, but thanks for offering."

Me -

"I also have many other pairs of used shoes that I'd be more than happy to sell for $20"

Buyer -

"No thanks, I'm not looking for used shoes. Only new."

Me -

"Ok, if you change your mind, pls let me know :)"

Buyer -

"No, I won't change my mind. Thank you for responding."

I was kinda surprised that he took me seriously, let alone continued to respond to me, but I find humouring people passively really helps take away the frustations.

He's probably thinking "As if this guy really expects me to buy his used shoes for $20", the same way I'm thinking "As if this guy really expects me to sell a brand new pair of kicks for $20".

Now we're equally moronic :P

The part about paying a lot for a jersey at the Yankees store stands out for me. Everyone knows buying retail replica jerseys is the biggest money loser out there. They're selling NWT for around $30 on ebay. Its just like buying a car, once you drive off with it youll never sell it for that price ever again. Id have taken the $55 if I were you. Whenever you eventually sell it, chances are you wont get that much.

I somewhat disagree with that. In the case of All Star jerseys, they don't make authentics. I just saw a Jeter ASG jersey from 2002 end for close to $300. Granted, it was probably a bunch of idiots bidding on it, but you never know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321081275276?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

But she said it was a replica

* I get it now, the one in the link isnt actually authentic. Baseball jerseys are weird.

But she said it was a replica

* I get it now, the one in the link isnt actually authentic. Baseball jerseys are weird.

They're all replicas, for some reason Majestic puts the "authentic" tag on all their ASG jerseys, which is misleading. Also, that jersey had a guy with 0 feedback enter multiple bids one after the other. A little suspicious at best.

Anyway, honestly, a 2010 Jeter ASG replica isn't necessarily worth close to what you paid for it. No used jersey is worth close to what you paid for it originally, the only way you're getting close to retail value is if it's NWT and even that's a stretch sometimes. If it were a 2008 Jeter ASG on the other hand, from the last season at the old Stadium, you might have something.

I've had plenty of people contact me for low buy-it-now prices through ebay message and even through the eBay best offer system. I'm with slim on this one, if it's something like an insultingly low bin offer, ask for something arbitrarily close to your original price.

Case in point: I currently have a Sens TI Goalie shirt, lettered as Hasek, up for a best-offer fixed price sale. My buy-it-now is $300, which is decently high, but padded because I know it'll be open for offers. I received an offer recently for $75. I was appalled. I paid that much for the lettering alone, and that bozo had the audacity to offer that for the final product. I considered declining and telling him to do nasty things to himself, but I figured there would be a better way to deal with that issue. My counter? $299.98

I've also had someone contact me during an auction for my TBTC Bruins Authentic shirt. Bozo #2's offer? $50. It was worth a laugh, and nothing more.

Bozos all over eBay trying to screw you and resell your shirt for what you should have gotten.

Yea, you definitely made it sound like you were having winning bidders not pay with the title.

Lots of idiots send lowball offers. Its annoying, but sometimes you just ignore it. The one where they came back with a lower offer after it ended with no bids though... frankly, I would do the same thing. You could have ended the auction and taken their offer of $150, but you didn't. Sure, they could still be willing to pay it, but if they see that you got no bids, then you can't really blame them for looking for a better offer.

It doesn't mean you have to sell it for the lower offer, and like I said, it can be annoying, but just ignore them, or tell them no.

:noway:

this just happened today...had a Celebrity All Star gamer with LOA on fleabay that ended last night with no bids... had it listed auction style for $125...get a message from t**g**b wanting to know if i'll take $70 for it...now i know the jersey isn't up there with a wildwing, a bolts storm or a burger king, but i wasn't starting the auction at an unreasonable price either (especially since this is the only one i've seen of a player that was in Slapshot)...anyway, i just replied to them "sorry, i can't do that"...hey, at least they didn't want shipping included!!

:thumbsup:

Eh people are always gonna send out feelers, I receive offers all the time and I always do what Angelo did. If someone offers me $50 for a $300 jersey i counter with $299.99 for humor. Don't sweat it. Everyone is right though, you probably should have taken that $55 offer for a replica.

NFL jerseys lose their value hideously too, sold off a pile of authentics. Got $13 for a 2003 Shockey Giants, figured it was at least worth $25 or something. You win some and lose some.

I think a few factors are in play here. One being that there are a lot of people on ebay who are bargain hunters and send in low ball offers just to see if maybe you're in that kind of mood to move something or perhaps strike up conversation to figure out a middle ground on the price. Unless the offer is ridiculous I'll generally try to work with these people to see if there's any way to come up with a fair price for both parties, although having been burned on this as well I've become less inclined to want to do this.

The other is you have to be realistic with the value of something. Just because you paid $125 for it last year does not mean that's what it's worth now...or my personal favorite is the guy who paid $200 for an authentic, $50 to strip it and $50 to customize it and now things it's worth $300. Look through ebay for your jerseys, see what they're selling for by sorting by the ending soonest. If you're really wanting to move something and move it pretty quick you'll need to set it around the price you see on jerseys that have bids and are ending.. It seems like for your Jeter jersey $55 is probably a pretty good offer since there's another one that was linked and sold for just over $30. Baseball jerseys are the worst when it comes to holding any value and the china market doesn't help anything regardless of sport. If your'e going to list for top dollar you need to be prepared for it not to sell, or in many cases you need to be patient until the right buyer comes along, although I would guess that unless you're willing to give that Jeter jersey away you'll never sell it at what you think it's worth.

$13 for a Giants jersey? I'm gonna have to keep an eye on your stuff more closely...

I got out of MLB jerseys a few years back because I just didn't have the room to collect from two sports. It was very eye opening seeing a lot of those authentic jerseys go for not much more than the price of a tshirt. I wouldn't pay more than $30 for an MLB authentic if I were to go back in unless the thing was rare.

SLim and FHG thats funny stuff....be careful though you may miss a sale. When i 1st started after seeing such a huge range of jerseys on Ebay, I never knew why 1 guy wanted 350.00 for what looked like the same jersey some guy was selling for 79.99...so i would shoot an offer (obviously lowball) but i didn't know at the time it was ridiculously low. To me the higher priced 1 was "way to high"...so after some much needed education, I became a serious buyer. With that said of course we can usually tell when we're dealing with a straight lowballer...but maybe the 1st response should be a legit counter offer(maybe with a short explanation of what they are bidding on)..again this is in the case of when you're really looking to make the sale. That way when they just continue to lowball it becomes even more funny when you actually start going UP with your counter offers >=]

I had a guy become somewhat aggressive with his lowball offers. Wanting loads of information, asking questions that I had already answered and could see in the pictures. Wanting me to end an auction before it ended, early on in the auction prior to any bids. I said I'd talk to him after if it didn't sell. I don't really understand why he would ever think I'd end it when my starting bid was already really low. The guy was a re-seller and wasn't hiding it. His auctions were of blank 1.0s for $300 and stuff like that.

That said, I'm not against the idea of throwing out low 'best offer' bids. You never know how much someone wants to sell something, how desperate they are for cash, or just how little they know about the product they are selling. I sold 2 customized 1.0s and a customized 6100 to a guy that basically got them all for $250. Just over $80 a pop. I was glad to take the money, even though I lost pretty large on all of them. The guy got a deal and he helped me out of a jam.

I just don't think you can factor in how much you paid for with everything you sell. Much of the time you can, but one of the most expensive jerseys I ever paid for is a replica white Oilers at retail price and I know for a fact I couldn't sell that thing for $15 if I tried. I may have paid 10 times that, but that means jack shi t. I see this happen all the time on classified ads or ebay; people essentially selling their product for barely under what they paid. Not jersey specific. Anything. It drives me bonkers when people don't understand the value of their items.

$13 for a Giants jersey? I'm gonna have to keep an eye on your stuff more closely...

That's only because it's a Shockey jersey. Everyone knows Giants fans hate him for how he whined about his broken leg when they won in 07. He was however, a nice piece for my Saints title run.

This just happened to me last night. I have a GI jersey on ebay I am into for $330.00. My listing is $209.99. This guy sent me an offer for $100.00. I countered at $205.00. Good times :)

This just happened to me last night. I have a GI jersey on ebay I am into for $330.00. My listing is $209.99. This guy sent me an offer for $100.00. I countered at $205.00. Good times :)

That was me !!!LOL just joshing you