Rangers white liberty head

stop it right there

The Rangers wore the white liberty in 1998-99, Gretzky's last season. Starter made the Rangers jerseys from 1996-1999. Gretzky's jerseys during this period were indeed double tagged. Here's a link to a game issued Starter Gretzky White Liberty that MeiGray had.

It's also good to note that the Rangers white liberty originally had 3-color names as shown above, but the league later said they didn't have authorization for that, so they had to change them to 2-colors.

Those Gretzky GI's are pretty sweet, cant believe they didnt sell out instantly. Im almost tempted, those are so cool.

They are sold out. That's an old link.

MeiGray just hides pages when stuff is sold out instead of taking the page down. It's great for research, but can suck if you're trying to buy something.

Haha yeah I just realized that as I tried to add it to my cart for fun.

There is not enough quantity for this item. There are only 0 available. Please revise your quantity number accordingly.

:(

To avoid starting a new thread, can someone help out with a Rangers' jersey manufacterer timeline? I'm very fuzzy with the 2000's.... For example

(I'm using '92 as an aribitrary starting point)

'92-'96 CCM

'96-99 Starter

'99-07 some crazy mix of Proplayer, Koho, CCM (that was when the CCM logo was across the back of the neck where the Vector and now wordmark are now. That was when Reebok bought CCM I think....)

'07-present Reebok EDGE

99-00 Pro Player

01-04 White jerseys were CCM, Blue and or Alt were Koho

The whole NHL was like this except for 99-00 where the teams who didnt wear Starter prior wore CCM

so Reebok took over in 2004?

Yes, except there wasn't a 2004-05 season. So in 2005-06 and 2006-07, Reebok just used the old CCM/Koho 6100 cut with a vector logo. Then they unleashed the Edge monstrosity on the world in 2007-08.

I like how you used the term "unleashed" to describe the EDGE. No one ever uses that term to describe something good.

"Unleash the keg!"

To avoid starting a new thread, can someone help out with a Rangers' jersey manufacterer timeline? I'm very fuzzy with the 2000's.... For example

(I'm using '92 as an aribitrary starting point)

'92-'96 CCM

'96-99 Starter

'99-07 some crazy mix of Proplayer, Koho, CCM (that was when the CCM logo was across the back of the neck where the Vector and now wordmark are now. That was when Reebok bought CCM I think....)

'07-present Reebok EDGE

Is this just Rangers jerseys? I thought all teams used the same jersey manufacturer. Where do the Nike's fit in? I thought they were mid to late 90's.

I know in the mid-90's the Red Wings used Nike jerseys while the Rangers were using Starters

I thought all teams used the same jersey manufacturer. Where do the Nike's fit in? I thought they were mid to late 90's.

No, during the late 1990's teams had a choice. In addition to CCM, Starter came into the picture in 1995 (Colorado only), and continued with other teams as well through 1998/99, Nike lasted from 1996-99, Bauer (Nashville only, 1998-99 only), then ProPlayer (various teams, 1999-2000 only). Since 2000, there have been exclusive manufacturer contracts (CCM/Koho until 2004), then Reebok (2005 to present).

No, during the late 1990's teams had a choice. In addition to CCM, Starter came into the picture in 1995 (Colorado only), and continued with other teams as well through 1998/99, Nike lasted from 1996-99, Bauer (Nashville only, 1998-99 only), then ProPlayer (various teams, 1999-2000 only). Since 2000, there have been exclusive manufacturer contracts (CCM/Koho until 2004), then Reebok (2005 to present).

Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

I like those 90's jerseys but was in college or just graduated with no money at the time so I didn't keep up with who made them. Wish I had as now it is going to be a pain in the a$$ to figure out which team wore which jerseys when as I try to add some to my collection.

Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

I like those 90's jerseys but was in college or just graduated with no money at the time so I didn't keep up with who made them. Wish I had as now it is going to be a pain in the a$$ to figure out which team wore which jerseys when as I try to add some to my collection.

Not so hard:

http://nhluniforms.com/

The site shows the tails of the jerseys with the manufacturer marks.

Not so hard:

http://nhluniforms.com/

The site shows the tails of the jerseys with the manufacturer marks.

Not 100%- you won't find a Proplayer tag (on the Rangers page anyway)

Not 100%- you won't find a Proplayer tag (on the Rangers page anyway)

Don't go by the team pages, they are condensed and only account for major style changes.

If you go year by year you can see changes like manufacturers etc.

For example, the team page says the Rangers style didn't change from 1999-2007, however if you look at the individual years you see ProPlayer tagging for 99-00, CCM/Koho tagging starting in 00-01, and Reebok tagging starting in 05-06.

Going year by year also shows patches, and specialty jerseys (like Winter Classic, or Throwbacks etc.)

edit: added examples

Don't go by the team pages, they are condensed and only account for major style changes.

If you go year by year you can see changes like manufacturers etc.

For example, the team page says the Rangers style didn't change from 1999-2007, however if you look at the individual years you see ProPlayer tagging for 99-00, CCM/Koho tagging starting in 00-01, and Reebok tagging starting in 05-06.

Going year by year also shows patches, and specialty jerseys (like Winter Classic, or Throwbacks etc.)

edit: added examples

That year-by-year per team is a nice feature. I never knew it existed. Thanks.

• 5 months later...

The Rangers wore the white liberty in 1998-99, Gretzky's last season. Starter made the Rangers jerseys from 1996-1999. Gretzky's jerseys during this period were indeed double tagged. Here's a link to a game issued Starter Gretzky White Liberty that MeiGray had.

It's also good to note that the Rangers white liberty originally had 3-color names as shown above, but the league later said they didn't have authorization for that, so they had to change them to 2-colors.

Digging this back up but do you know if when they were selling the 3-color named version of this jersey, they had the double tagging on the back? I have this jersey and it has the 3-color Gretzky but the jersey isn't double tagged. To my amateur eye the customization looks perfect and doesn't appear to be a case of a purchased blank customized after the fact.