Re-customized Game-Issued gone bad

cjerina

In my argument for why I am not a fan of stripping gamer (or game-issued) jerseys, I propose to you a recent dealing.

In browsing eBay's game-used section, saw an international jersey of a minor-league player whom I follow. Jersey is listed as game-worn, with proper Nike bar-coding for a Nike Swift jersey.

Received a PM here a couple days later, with the sender informing me that he had previously traded a game issued jersey and had it re-customized for the player in question (and pointed out the number change and the stitch marks were very faintly present on only select spots of the jersey). He later traded the jersey, which was supposedly traded a couple more times before some marks showed up on the jersey and BAM, its magically now a gamer!

My point in all of this is not to accuse anyone (as I have obviously not mentioned any names), but rather point out the fact that just because the person customizing the jersey knows it is not game-worn and is honest about it, does not mean that when he moves the jersey, future owners will be as honest.

As I do not collect authentics very much, I have not dealt with the re-lettering of rarer style jerseys. However, my request to people that do re-letter, please note somewhere on the jersey the fact it is not a gamer! Something as simple as writing "Not game-worn" on the fight strap is simple, easy, unnoticeable and would at least make it harder for future owners to claim the jersey is something it is not.

/rant over

Yeah I can see how that is a legitimate concern.

At the same time, if I am going to be paying a premium for a jersey on ebay purely because it's a gamer, I'm going to do all the homework to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. There are Custom Crafted specials out there being passed off as gamers as well so you can never be too careful.

Honestly after buying gamers I'd only ever buy straight from meigray since they deal directly with the flyers. I've only bought one gamer somewhere else gameworn.net auctions came with a meigray loa

Yeah I can see how that is a legitimate concern.

At the same time, if I am going to be paying a premium for a jersey on ebay purely because it's a gamer, I'm going to do all the homework to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. There are Custom Crafted specials out there being passed off as gamers as well so you can never be too careful.

I wouldn't say I paid a premium for it, the price I got it for would be less than what an authentic would probably cost... however, I also would have no interest in having an authentic (especially with random marks from someone else wearing it).

Any game issued jerseys that I have had stripped Mike has removed the Meigray tag from the jersey, even with that on the jersey the barcodes wouldn't match up to what I re-customized it as. With that said, not all game worn jerseys are Meigray authenticated and I can understand where you're coming from.

Thats only one issue with stripped gamers, working at classic i have seen many failed attempts of people trying

To pass of re customized jerseys as gamers, stripping gamers not only causes fakes , it also unfortunately makes honest people lose money. To make matters worse it erases history. If you own a jersey it does not mean you get to whipe your arse with it, i have said it many times as collectors we have a responsibility to perserve and not destroy these historical items. I am sorry to hear about your experience unfortunately it is not a rare occurence. Stripping gamers has been happening for many

Many years and wont go away because there is money to be made with the unsuspecting or uneducated. I have argued with many on this board about this and many have emailed or pm'ed me

Privately to say they agree with my opinion. I know that not all who strip do it for profit but doing it

For your own personal reasons is not any better. The chase is whats fun about this hobby so i sont get why people would destroy a lesser player to fit there own selfish needs.

There are many good dealers meigray among them but as mentioned everyone needs to

Do there homework even meigray makes mistakes

I wouldn't say I paid a premium for it, the price I got it for would be less than what an authentic would probably cost... however, I also would have no interest in having an authentic (especially with random marks from someone else wearing it).

Yeah, but in that case you gotta make sure it was actually game worn before bidding on it. Though I realize for minors and older stuff it's more difficult. No amount of "policy" is going to be protect you better than doing your own homework.

Especially since I have seen Classic auction off an obvious terrible fake jersey. :lol:

I purchased a 6100 Anaheim Ducks game worn rookie tournament jersey. The player never was in any NHL game at all. I turned it into a S. Niedermayer with a SCF patch. No marks, burns or anything like that. The jersey was only worn one year. Hard to find especially anything over size 54. When I stripped a rookie tournament jersey, I made sure I stripped the game tag as well. I tore up the COA. I will never sell this jersey, ever. I made sure it can never be mistaken for a "gamer." I don't know how other teams deal with gamers, but I would never buy a gamer without the COA and would demand a lesser price without a COA. I mainly buy authentics due to the fact that I would hate to get ripped off because of this reason and because I don't have the cash for it due to going to school.

Can you guys imagine how upset Barry Meisel was when I asked about a number on a Meigray tag that hasn't been removed from a blank TI Stars jersey that was customized to BENN? I'll not removed the tag but had the number re-registered to their database as blank TI-customized to BENN. But I have to inform them once I re-customize the jersey. No LoA will ever exist for this one.

Especially since I have seen Classic auction off an obvious terrible fake jersey. :lol:

Please stop trying to goat Guam into another argument. If you have a problem with his post you can pm him to discuss it.

Edited by TMLFAN

I dont even remember what the fake I saw was but heck in 30 seconds I found this - http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=64&lotid=275

Im pretty sure every member here will agree this is fake. To me, that is pretty obvious. Slander shmander, its fact.

source_275_92445.jpg

the gretz is not a fake i have told you guys 100000 times many of those gretz were made by starter as a tribute jersey. i know i got one from ray bourque who got it directly from 99. i cant speak about that actual jersey but there are 99 ranger jerseys with that patch that are legitimate authentics. i have had this talk with hockeymusic and others the greta are not all fakes some are authentic.

the above jersey was missed by one of the authenticators who is not really a expert at junior jerseys. i agree it has happened but dont forget consignors try to pass these off as the real deal and there are over 1000 pieces per auction. 1 jersey per auction? is less then 1 percent and i think if you compare to game worn or heritage classic does pretty good. anyway obviously i am biased here so my opinion is a little skewed but to say obvious fakes as if classic was knowingly selling a fake to pope is wrong.

i will bring up the crosby to marc i was not aware of it i dont really look at junior jerseys theres another dude for that, he will rectify the situation

I think Classic Auctions is great too but you cant berate someone for something that is 100% true. If you read between the lines on what he said anyways, he was setting Classic as the bar.

Aside from that fact - junior, pro or beer league anyone can tell within seconds that fight strap is a China job. The high res pic only tells you they clearly looked at it and didnt care.

The Gretz is defintely a fake...take a look at the fight strap in pic 5.

If Starter supplied these directly to Gretz as promo/tribute jersey to be handed out to fans, or whatever, then Starter got their supply directly from a sweatshop in China, and got duped themselves.

The Gretz is defintely a fake...take a look at the fight strap in pic 5.

If Starter supplied these directly to Gretz as promo/tribute jersey to be handed out to fans, or whatever, then Starter got their supply directly from a sweatshop in China, and got duped themselves.

That and why would they send him a bunch with a set tag 2 as well

As i explained earlier i had ine of these unfortunately i cant find pics , it had the same set tag and a cheap fight strap. I know for a fact they came directly from starter. I know the generally thinking is they are all fakes but that is not the case. I cant speak on the jersey in the auction i wasnt there and did not get to look at it but it does look

Similar to the one i had so i would guess it is authentic. I think

Was quite possibly made in china for starter which is not that far fetched they outsourced all around the world haiti, elsalvador, china ect...they are not fakes they are trubute jerseys made for starter...of course those were a limited run and now there are thousands of "fakes". To pinpoint the differences i would need to find pics of the one i had

the gretz is not a fake i have told you guys 100000 times many of those gretz were made by starter as a tribute jersey. i know i got one from ray bourque who got it directly from 99. i cant speak about that actual jersey but there are 99 ranger jerseys with that patch that are legitimate authentics. i have had this talk with hockeymusic and others the greta are not all fakes some are authentic.

the above jersey was missed by one of the authenticators who is not really a expert at junior jerseys. i agree it has happened but dont forget consignors try to pass these off as the real deal and there are over 1000 pieces per auction. 1 jersey per auction? is less then 1 percent and i think if you compare to game worn or heritage classic does pretty good. anyway obviously i am biased here so my opinion is a little skewed but to say obvious fakes as if classic was knowingly selling a fake to pope is wrong.

i will bring up the crosby to marc i was not aware of it i dont really look at junior jerseys theres another dude for that, he will rectify the situation

Classic auction has not in the 3 years i have been there sold a "obvious fake" just so you know that is slander i suggest you remove the comment or i will inform Marc (owner) of your slanderous comment. Classic has probably the best reputation of any auction house and sell over 1000 items per auction , mistakes happen but and will continue to happen because of many factors such as human error, attempted fraud by consignors ect...

Your comment is way out of line and can get you in a lot of trouble, i would suggest removing it.

Quite humorous how the tides have changed in a span of an hour.

I think it's your comment that needs removing

Quite humorous how the tides have changed in a span of an hour.

I think it's your comment that needs removing

Irony is that one of the comments is slanderous, and it is the one suggesting slander.