new york rangers alternate liberty jersey

iceman91

Any Reebok navy 3rd has to have semi kiss-cut lettering done. The Rangers used stacked everything from 1996-97 until 2003-04 but switched to kiss-cut after the lockout until the EDGE garbage came into effect.

Hi Mike,

Are you 100% positive on this? The reason I ask, is that I owned an on ice Jagr Liberty from 2005-06 customized by Cosby's that was not kiss cut. And I was considering buying this Dom Moore gamer from Meigray, that does not seem to be kiss cut although the pics cant be blown up enough to confirm layering or kiss cut.. Thanks for the info..

http://www.nhlgameworn.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2490&siId=1247712&catLevel=0&scLevel=0&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=4607&catParentID=4607&scId=4607

I've been really curious about this topic, because I also didn't know that any Liberty jerseys were kiss-cut. On the Moore gamer though, doesn't it look like on the lower half of the back number 8, that there are some sloppy white stitches that seem to fall on top of the red and gray layers, which would indicate kiss-cut? For the letters though, it would seem to be awfully difficult to kiss-cut the white layer because it's so skinny.

Hopefully Mike has some more detail on this (or gamer reference) but just going by the Moore liberty that enzo linked as well as the Kondratiev liberty they also have for sale, my guess would be that if semi-kiss cut, the layers are different than I would have expected.

Instead of red being the bottom layer, silver being middle layer, and white being the top like other semi-kiss cut jerseys I think instead it's silver on the bottom, red in the middle, and white on top. You definitely can't see any red peaking out from below the edges around the silver, but it does look like a few places there's red peeking out from under the white. Also looking at the Moore specifically, you can see white thread going into the red at the bottom opening of the 8.

That layer order would definitely make sense as far as conserving material - most of the other semi-kiss cut examples out there don't have such a deep 3d shadow and are just an outline. Once again I'm just speculating until Mike drops another knowledge bomb on us to settle it once and for all :)

(edit: I totally missed LAK's comments on the white thread that already mentioned what i noticed, didn't mean to be repetitive)

The layering on the post-lockout Liberty 3rds went white, red, silver. It's definitely different than other semi kiss-cut patterns used. Most teams go middle, bottom, top layers for semi kiss-cut but the Rangers' bottom layer was a different size because of the drop-shadow. That's why the order was different. Technically, on these Rangers ones, the only 'kiss-cut' layers are the red and white layers since the silver is a full piece.

• 2 months later...

Mike, thanks for the pic; exactly what I wanted to see.