MLS mandates jersey changes yearly

JohnnyOnTheSpot

http://www.businessofsoccer.com/2013/02/11/major-league-soccer-unveils-jersey-week/

Anyone read this? They're mandating that every team changes one of their three jerseys every single year, with a league wide "jersey week" debuting the changes. Kind of crazy, eh? Could you imagine if the NHL did something like this?

You guys think this is a good thing or a bad thing? Could keep things from getting stale, but could also murder any consistency/tradition.

It would be a problem for certain teams like the Rangers, Habs, Leafs, etc... but wouldn't be so bad for other teams like the Lightning, Sharks, Ducks, etc... The argument against what I just said though, at least on the back end, is that it stops certain teams from forming tradition like the Rangers already have.

Chicago doesn't have an alt 3rd this year so I guess that would mean we'd be getting one back because I highly doubt they'd change their design.

I guess it might be kinda cool for the Alts to change every so often but something tells me the NHL would look like the minor leagues with pink jerseys in no time.

My vote is no.

I would hate this if a similar rule were used by the NHL. I would follow the Chivas but the whole changing of jerseys is annoying.

With the exception of a few of us Eurosnobs here, the markets for both are different. Even at MSRP, soccer replica jerseys cost about half that of a Reebok Premier jersey, and the authentics that you can find would usually go for less than a Premier. It's a lot easier sell.

The build of the jerseys themselves are completely different which also plays a role in dictating the market. Think Nike Swift series. Hockey authentics are designed to handle the wear and tear of a NHL season while the replicas have reached a point where they have the consistency of public bathroom toilet paper. There is obviously enough of a market for NHL authentics otherwise Reebok wouldn't have moved production back to Canada. Soccer game jerseys only have to last for a game at most so they are built to be as light as possible. Most modern game jerseys won't have a single thing stitched on there, everything is heat sealed from the seams to the badges. They aren't comfortable or durable enough for the general public to wear. I tried one of the "looser" Adidas authentic Formotions and that thing was so tight that it made me feel like a bigger fruttycupper than Marcus Johansson. There is a much bigger retail market for soccer replicas.

Factor in sponsor changes and that most soccer clubs have individual contracts with manufacturers who in turn like to showcase their jersey models for team sales as well, you get a market that's much more able to support that than hockey. Hell the NHL is already afraid to introduce new jerseys every season after a lockout.

This is the way it is in europe (and probaly the world) with soccer jerseys. They add a stripe to the shoulder and market it as a new jersey, every year they change them. Just a money grab basically. I would not like to see this in the NHL.

Don't forget the yearly sponsor changes :D The DEL teams change their jerseys every year because of that.

This is why I only buy Celtic shirts when it's a milestone in their history, for example, this year is their 125th anniversary. Either that or I get international jerseys (Éire & Greece) because they're usually kept for three years.

When I was younger, I didn't mind getting the home, away, goalie & maybe even the alternate - but nowadays I'd much rather style a fetching hat from the money.

I'm a die-hard supporter of Manchester United. They used to change every two seasons, but now it's a new design every season. I pretty much buy the home, road and alternate in both short sleeved and long sleeved versions. Plus the special Cup Finals jerseys. So it gets crazy.

I'm a die-hard supporter of Manchester United.

Son, I am disappoint. I'm with the blue side of Manchester. It was much better for shirts when they were in the lower leagues. They'd last between 3 & 4 seasons and I could get the home, away & goalie brand new, $30-$40 for the lot.

Son, I am disappoint. I'm with the blue side of Manchester. It was much better for shirts when they were in the lower leagues. They'd last between 3 & 4 seasons and I could get the home, away & goalie brand new, $30-$40 for the lot.

I usually wait til a good sale before I scoop up the jerseys, except for the limited edition jerseys. Kitbag is my primary source. Even their regular prices are way better than our local regular prices.

Buncha glory hunters in here. :lol:

Funny you should say that. I had to go through years of ridicule because I supported a p--- poor English team and when they won the Prem. last season I was suddenly a glory hunter. :lol:

The usual response I got when I asked why I was a glory hunter, when I'd supported City since they were in Division 3 was as follows:

dunno_lolcat_answer_101_xlarge.jpeg