Bruins Dilema

bled

I have given up on the idea of getting another Bruins Edge 2.0 for now as they are just not out there and the ones that are cost over $450.

So I thought why not get a Cam Neely jersey since he was my favorite player growing up. There are options out there, but ideally I want to stay under $200.

1. I can get a 6100 series of the style that Neely wore his last season in the league. However it is rebranded as Reebok with the Vector and the CCM would not be there at the bottom like what Neely actually wore. Not sure how big of a deal that really is.

Jersey I would get:

43ab_3.JPG

Real Jersey from Neely's last season:

19550.jpg

2. I can get something like a Maska Replica of the sweater that Neely wore for most of his career and what he is identified more with. Problem is I do not have any idea how good those Maska Replica jerseys really were. I understand that they are much better than the Reebok replicas of today but how would they compare to the authentic 6100 series?

$(KGrHqZHJBwE9rfwHlwCBPe)0Dgt9g~~60_3.JP

I am leaning towards option #1, but I wanted to throw it out there to see what people thought.

the maska replicas are nice, especially the ones that were the ultrafil style replicas, but when you have owned an authentic ultrafil and a replica ultrafil, the replica is a little thinner and doesn't give that nice heavy ultrafil feel to it. the ultrafil replicas (for me at least) also felt like they ran a little smaller than their tags stated.

i would say wait for the one you know is going to be exactly right so you can get what you want instead of feeling like you need to get something now and then later on not be satisfied with it.

the maska replicas are nice, especially the ones that were the ultrafil style replicas, but when you have owned an authentic ultrafil and a replica ultrafil, the replica is a little thinner and doesn't give that nice heavy ultrafil feel to it. the ultrafil replicas (for me at least) also felt like they ran a little smaller than their tags stated.

i would say wait for the one you know is going to be exactly right so you can get what you want instead of feeling like you need to get something now and then later on not be satisfied with it.

I have only had authentics so far(A 6100 & an Edge 1.0), so I get the feeling the Maska is not going to be heavy enough for my liking. Plus if you are saying they run small that could be a problem for me since they just have XL left.

Problem is to get exactly what I want will likely cost way more than I want to spend. Does having the vector logo vs. the CCM on the 6100 really make that big of a deal? I think I could live with it since I would be getting an authentic for less than $200.

It's your jersey ... do you want it correct for a Neely or are you willing to wear a jersey with manufacturing tags that don't match what he actually wore? If you want to be a stickler for accuracy, wait and get a properly tagged shirt.

Well, regarding accuracy, it's off the mark in three ways-

1.) Like you said, Neely never wore Reebok (technically "jersey foul" material on these boards)

2.) Neely wore only ultrafil jerseys in the 90s, having them made custom since he apparently hated air knit.

3.) That seller doesn't have the correct lettering kit on that shirt, especially if it's stacked three-layer twill. The font is off by enough, and the Bruins wore one layer of black twill with yellow twill piping around the edges as you see it.

But since you'll be very hard pressed to find a CCM ultrafil jersey in that style (I managed to, but that's a different story, I got extra lucky), air knit will be the way to go. And there's only one lettering shop that can do Bruins jerseys - the same place that does them for the team. Patience is key with these shirts, but if you'll take my word for it, it will be that much more worth it when it's hanging in your closet, since it will be that close to spec as what was worn by the player.

Well, regarding accuracy, it's off the mark in three ways-

1.) Like you said, Neely never wore Reebok (technically "jersey foul" material on these boards)

2.) Neely wore only ultrafil jerseys in the 90s, having them made custom since he apparently hated air knit.

3.) That seller doesn't have the correct lettering kit on that shirt, especially if it's stacked three-layer twill. The font is off by enough, and the Bruins wore one layer of black twill with yellow twill piping around the edges as you see it.

But since you'll be very hard pressed to find a CCM ultrafil jersey in that style (I managed to, but that's a different story, I got extra lucky), air knit will be the way to go. And there's only one lettering shop that can do Bruins jerseys - the same place that does them for the team. Patience is key with these shirts, but if you'll take my word for it, it will be that much more worth it when it's hanging in your closet, since it will be that close to spec as what was worn by the player.

Thanks for the feedback. I think your third point was the deal breaker...I suppose I was trying to talk myself into it.

PS-I had heard of the Neely ultrafil custom jersey construction vs. air knit story before. Supposedly it was because his arm got caught on an air knit sleeve once during a fight and ever since that fight he refused to wear air knit jerseys. Don't think I would personally be that picky as long as the jersey style and lettering matched. At least at one point he did wear air knit... :lol:

like Angelo said... you will not have any problems finding an air knit Bruins authentic. That would be much less of a jersey foul than your original idea.

like Angelo said... you will not have any problems finding an air knit Bruins authentic. That would be much less of a jersey foul than your original idea.

Is there a seller you can recommend that has them? I have looked around and I have only seen replicas from the 80'/90's Bruins styles.

I just searched Bruins jersey on eBay and there's just about every style available. mostly for very cheap too.

Thanks everyone for your honest feedback. I am new to jersey collecting and am just getting the hang of what is considered acceptable and what is considered a "jersey foul". Anyway, I am going to put this project on hold as I decided to bite the bullet and shell out $325 for a Bruins Edge team issued 2.0 that I managed to find. Certainly not cheap, but it was only a small premium to what the price tag will be for retail Bruins 2.0's if/when they eventually come out.

I will probably revisit the Neely vintage idea later on this year.

$(KGrHqZHJBwE9rfwHlwCBPe)0Dgt9g~~60_3.JP

It looks like you've got this image from our good friend 'locker_room_sports' on eBay. Although the jerseys are already customised, I insist that you avoid getting jerseys from them. You are guaranteed to get them for, at the very least, half the price elsewhere. They buy jerseys in bulk and then put a ridiculous price tag on them. Pretty sure members on here have had the pleasure of LRS buying jerseys from them and quadrupling the price.

... and the Bruins wore one layer of black twill with yellow twill piping around the edges as you see it.

The yellow piping was not made of twill, they were just screened on, sometimes even with some sort of foamy stuff. Just like the 1996 AS patch.

I was under the impression that it was just skinny enough twill that it looked like it was screened on. Though on second look you're right, it's too much like a semi-solid to be twill. But it might just all have been the rubberized material that they made patches out of, not necessarily screen printing. Those borders are raised too much for them to be standard screen print, though they're definitely screened on in some way. And more recently, even for the older stuff, they do all-sublimated numbers. So technically, the older styles will be inaccurate, but it's almost impossible to tell the difference at a glance.

Edit: On third look of an older shirt, it is flat screen print. Though knowing them, it could be either on a given shirt.