Getting screwed on eBay (again)

hatryk

I won a blue centennial canadiens jersey on ebay then the seller informed me he had 1 more and a barber pole one as well that he could sell. I thought it was a decent deal so i paid him as a personal payment through paypal. After 3 weeks of i sent it it got sent back because canada needs a phone number to send it etc...he has stopped communicating with me. I will get the original money back from ebay but what about the paypal money. Paypal claims because it was a personal payment they will not refund me the money. Btw ebay id is 43helminator43

Yea, if it was sent as a gift, you can't really get it back. Never send as a gift if you don't know you can trust the person. Just offer to pay the PayPal fee yourself, and add the 3% to the final cost or whatever. Because now, you can't really go to them and say "Oh, I sent it as a gift to screw over PayPal and not have either of us pay fees, but now he screwed me over and I want my gift back." It does suck though.

if you know you're pretty much screwed then you're doing just about all you can by sharing what he has done via word of mouth..

this will influence members here who buy on ebay to not deal with this guy...it will also help others if they are ever faced with a situation like this...

i'd probably email or mssg the guy for the next year

I would still contact PayPal, but play dumb and make it seem like you didn't even know about the gift option. They may reimburse you and just give a warning not to do it again, in which case, make sure you don't do it again so then PayPal can't go back to you the next time his happens and say "tough cookies".

Am i a dik or is this a lie?

email from him....

I am actually sitting in an airport waiting for my flight back home to Montreal at 245 pm from Vancouver. I have been away the last 8 days as I ha to fly in as my mother just passed away. Your jerseys are package and ready to go and once I Land this evening I will drop them off at the post office on my way home. Spry for the delay but I had a much more pressing thing on my mind then mailing stuff out. Hope you can understand

You will never know if this is true or not, just hope the jerseys come in the next week or so . It is the Holiday season even ###### Heads deserves a break . But after the Holidays and no Jersey then its time to fill his box with more joy than he can Handle . (Emails )

That seems pretty legit..at least I would hope even the worst of human beings wouldn't make up their parents dying as an excuse. Knock on wood I've had pretty decent luck with ebay, actually much better than here in recent times. Lot of the newer folks around here have been super flakey when it comes to buying or demanding returns because they no longer want it after I shipped..and of course with PayPal being anti seller there's no recourse to that other than deal with the refund and getting the jersey back.

That seems pretty legit..at least I would hope even the worst of human beings wouldn't make up their parents dying as an excuse.

Agreed, that would be pretty Schmidtty if they did.

I say give the guy a break in case his problems are legit and hope for the best.

He has a 100% positive feedback rating and a lot of transactions so you're probably safe.

Cheers

Just curious, are there any updates? Did you get the jersey?

glad this turned out well for you. he could have easily boned you on the personal payment.

pay pal WILL refund personal payments but in very, very limited circumstances. typically with mobile payments, which come through as personal and then require a phone call to dispute. if you had presented all the communication and it was clear, they might have lifted a finger. more likely, they'd have said "sorry!" because they want your 3% or, in this case, 4.5%. on top of that, he would have had record of *a* package sent and delivered to you if he just sent the one item. i'd be a little more careful in the future about personal payments.

You gotta be careful on the 'Bay. I've been worked over a couple times for just complete stupidity. I've been a seller there for over a decade now.

im glad it worked out for you. tbh, before i made it to the end, i had my doubts

i hate to think that people would lie about such things, but i have gotten the sick/deceased mother excuse an insane amount of times; enough times where im certain that people are lying. it's a little fishy when someone can make an offer, i accept within 5 minutes, and there is a death in the family immediately after.

one guy once told me that his wife and daughter were in a serious car accident after i sent him a quasi nasty email about him never paying. oddly enough, he responded almost immedietly even though they were both supposedly on death's door. i guess trying to make me feel bad was more important than being at their side (my bet is that he was lying)?

but i digress. my point is that the unfortunate truth is that you should never trust people unless you know them. always be careful

I once got the 'death-in-the-family' excuse from a board participant here who did not ship something to me. I eventually recovered my payment through a PayPal dispute. He never even responded to the PayPal inquiry and they awarded me the decision.

People need to be careful about trotting out excuses related to the health (or lack of) of family members and loved ones, if they're not true. I firmly believe that there's Karma working somewhere here, and an excuse like that will eventually lead to something bad happening.

• 3 weeks later...

This belongs here...

I recently bought a Devils jersey from an Ebay seller called JerseyStore2000. I paid the jersey on January 2nd, and when I told him a week later that the jersey has been paid. he said that it was shipped the previous week and I should have it soon. However, he did not mark the jersey as "Shipped", and when I asked for a tracking number there was no reply. Also when I originally asked about the shipment when he was going to do it, he didn't reply. This was before i told him that the jersey had been paid. Should I wait for a few more weeks or try to get my money back? The seller was one of the oldest in Ebay, been active since 1999 and he had 98,9 per cent positive feedback. However, he had almost 220 negative feedbacks from last month alone.

The jersey has been on the way for almost 4 weeks now. And usually they arrive in about a week or two if they don't get stuck in the customs.

This belongs here...

I recently bought a Devils jersey from an Ebay seller called JerseyStore2000. I paid the jersey on January 2nd, and when I told him a week later that the jersey has been paid. he said that it was shipped the previous week and I should have it soon. However, he did not mark the jersey as "Shipped", and when I asked for a tracking number there was no reply. Also when I originally asked about the shipment when he was going to do it, he didn't reply. This was before i told him that the jersey had been paid. Should I wait for a few more weeks or try to get my money back? The seller was one of the oldest in Ebay, been active since 1999 and he had 98,9 per cent positive feedback. However, he had almost 220 negative feedbacks from last month alone.

The jersey has been on the way for almost 4 weeks now. And usually they arrive in about a week or two if they don't get stuck in the customs.

i have got jerseys from him before, he usually takes a long time i think because of the sheer volume of auctions he has listed. also it seems he is not very organized as i also asked him and he replied the same. Eventually I got my jersey without a reply back from him. But this was years ago, a 220 negative the last month puts up serious red flags. Start the dispute process, that usually gets people's asses moving