Fake ebay purchasers

Kaiser416

The past few weeks I've been getting people with zero feedback bid on my items or hit BIN, but they're actually fake accounts with false names and addresses, and of course they don't pay or respond. Its annoying having to file for cancelling the transactions to get back the final value fees. Has anyone encounter this recently or in the past? How do you stop this from happening? Can you set a minimum feedback threshold to filter out fake accounts with zero feedback?

What's just as bad as people with low feedback leaving you negative feedback for fake claims.

This happened to me three or four times around the same time last year. I think it may happen around now because a lot of new people are joining ebay around Christmas, looking for deals, then not following through with their purchase, thinking it does no harm to anyone. They just assume "screw ebay", not realizing it's real people like us who suffer instead. I've just about had it with ebay and can't wait to be done with school so I can finally post all my jerseys for sale in the forum instead.

I limit no feedback bidders and try to stick with fixed price listings, because you can set it up where they have to pay immediately using PayPal to use the BIN feature.

Just put it in the listing that bidders/buyers below X feedback have to contact you first. If they don't, cancel their bid and be done with it.

I limit no feedback bidders and try to stick with fixed price listings, because you can set it up where they have to pay immediately using PayPal to use the BIN feature.

Just put it in the listing that bidders/buyers below X feedback have to contact you first. If they don't, cancel their bid and be done with it.

I sell watches and other items on ebay...the above 2 comments tend to work...if someone doesn't follow thru with the instructions and bids anyway and they are bidding against someone you think is a real bidder just write in the listing that if the winning bidder doesn't follow thru with the purchase you may contact other bidders and offer them a 2nd chance to buy the merchandise...

just require immediate payment on all your listings. they can click the buy it now button all they want but it won't mean a thing until they pay. there's no reason not to require this.... it they have access to a device with internet connection to bid, then they have access to PayPal to pay for it. thank God we've moved on from paying for eBay purchases with money orders.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus. I think this happened to me. I am selling some old cards on eBay that I want to get rid of and some guy bought a number of them in auctions that are ending tonight. His feedback is ridiculous. This is the feedback he has left for others. As of now, I have perfect feedback (100+ transactions) and have never had a single issue as a buyer or seller. What is my best plan of action for dealing with this guy? So far he has won or is winning 9 of my auctions.

Jesus. I think this happened to me. I am selling some old cards on eBay that I want to get rid of and some guy bought a number of them in auctions that are ending tonight. His feedback is ridiculous. This is the feedback he has left for others. As of now, I have perfect feedback (100+ transactions) and have never had a single issue as a buyer or seller. What is my best plan of action for dealing with this guy? So far he has won or is winning 9 of my auctions.

Um, you might want to look a little harder. He has 4 "positive" transactions, though I can't figure out why since all of the comments say the same thing - He wins auctions and doesn't pay, he's a scammer. Those "positive" transactions aren't positive at all, he's a joke.

Um, you might want to look a little harder. He has 4 "positive" transactions, though I can't figure out why since all of the comments say the same thing - He wins auctions and doesn't pay, he's a scammer. Those "positive" transactions aren't positive at all, he's a joke.

I get that he's a scammer -- hence my concern. What do I do, though? How do I avoid receiving 9 negative feedbacks for no reason and recoup my fees (total sales are ~$125) in a timely fashion? Do I just send the invoive, wait a while, and file a complaint? Am I able to preemptively file a complaint based on his history? What is my best course of action to maintain my impeccable feedback, not have to pay fees on an item that presumably I'm not getting paid for, and get a chance to re-list?

Edit to add: his name is listed as John Doe and his delivery address is some large building in Brooklyn that should definitely come with an apartment number or something (it doesn't). I wouldn't even want to ship to that address if I received payment anyway. Do people pay for items, receive them, then claim they didn't and get money back while keeping their items from eBay? Does delivery confirmation avoid that potential scam? Based on his feedback, I don't even expect to get a payment anyway.

You'e not going to get paid for anything, you're going to have to wait it out and file a non-paying bidder claim, then go through eBay to get your final value fees back. Just curious if you mind inboxing me the bogus address he's using since I'm in Brooklyn myself. Curious where it is.

That's sort of what I figured. Thanks. Any way to avoid the obviously-to-come negative feedback?

And PM'd.

i've seen some negative comments that some sellers can actually respond to. As far as the whole "receiving payment and him claiming he didnt receive the item" you can get insurance on the item and be covered under ebay seller protection...

Be careful some years ago i sent an item for $500 and the same item started popping up on eBay for about half. The buyer contacted PayPal saying it was damaged (it wasnt) and they refunded the money without the buyer sending back the item. They said it was my responsibility to get the item back.

Filing non-paying dispute would take 30 days to get your fees back from ebay, if the buyer doesn't respond to the claim. If you file to cancel the transaction, an action is required from the buyer within 7 days, otherwise you'll get your fees refunded within 7 days. I took the latter route after waiting 2 weeks for non-paying and didn't get a response.

About the negative feedback, if the spammer leaves it, contact eBay and tell them he's a spammer and look up his history as proof as someone who doesn't pay and leaves negative feedback and hound them until they change it.

Yea, eBay doesn't really protect buyers very well. You can file to have the feedback removed if he leaves false negative feedback, but there's no guarantee they'll remove it.

That really sucks. He's definitely a scammer, and it looks like you might be in for a bit of a fight.

to the best of my knowledge, if he doesnt pay and if you never actually complete the transaction, that is one of the few instances where ebay will remove feedback

In most cases they dont remove it but like i said hound them until they do. That seems the only way it ever gets removed.

because they can always fall back on the old "well, it's the buyer's opinion of the transaction" excuse. in this case, there wasnt an actual transaction to give feedback on. given this guy's history and his obvious abuse, as horrendous as ebay is, i would very surprised if they didnt do anything. i think it was already mentioned here, but people also need to play things smart: open an unpaid item strike instead of trying to cancel the transaction from the get go.

in related news, goes to show what a joke their internal system is. if someone has that many unpaid item strikes within a month, arent they supposed to get their account suspended?

Yea, eBay really is a joke.

I recently lost my Power Seller status because I had idiots giving me a 1 or 2 for Shipping and Handling Charges. I literally use the eBay shipping calculator on everything and only charge what it actually costs to ship. But because I got 5 low ratings, I lost my status. Pretty sure that 3 of them were from someone who never responded to any messages and never paid after buying as well. When I contacted eBay about it, they gave me a song and dance, about how the detailed ratings are all anonymous, so they can't tell, but that I have great ratings everywhere else, so to keep up the good work and the ratings will reflect that. Not too happy, but I guess that Power Seller doesn't really mean much.

The sales will talk, as will your scores and feedback overall. A label from eBay is just that, a label. Your listings are pretty high-end - you put the pictures, and you give solid descriptions, so missing the label seems pretty minor in the big picture. As for the sentiment of eBay being a joke, it can be unfair for sure, but it really streamlines sales online. I have to give the company credit for that.