Really?? Cosby's You're Kidding/Killing Me

Cygnus X-1

I need a little help and mods relocate this if need be.

Gerry Cosby's, former team customizer for the Rangers, just 2 blocks from MSG, seller of Ranger jerseys and who still does jersey customizing put the NYR 85th anniversary patch on the wrong shoulder of my Heritage jersey.

Did I mention they sell and customize Ranger jerseys?

Anyway, I need advice on who could remove the patch and put it where it belongs. I called them and they said they could do it, but it's out of the way for me to go there (unless hockey season miraculously begins) and maybe someone here has a better suggestion than them.

EPS, for example? It didn't occur to me that there may be glue under it......or could they have just sewn it on?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't figured out why guys here would send Rangers jerseys to anyone other than Mike, unless it's done through Arena Wear.

Cosby's does not use glue, so it shouldnt be an issue to remove it. If you are going to mail it out someplace anyway why not just mail it back to Cosby's? They made the mistake so they certainly wouldnt charge you to fix it. They have done right by me for many years, im suprised they would have made this mistake. Jim knows his stuff really well.

Cosby's does not use glue, so it shouldnt be an issue to remove it. If you are going to mail it out someplace anyway why not just mail it back to Cosby's? They made the mistake so they certainly wouldnt charge you to fix it. They have done right by me for many years, im suprised they would have made this mistake. Jim knows his stuff really well.

The patch may have had the glue on it to begin with.

I think the only logical option is to cut the shoulders off on each side and then restitch the shoulders on their correct side

It's funny how sometimes the easiest solution is right in front of us the whole time.

I think the only logical option is to cut the shoulders off on each side and then restitch the shoulders on their correct side

You have to be kidding, right?? Take apart a jersey that is cover stitched and reassemble it? Am I reading The Onion?

Turn the jersey inside out and pinch the fabric behind the patch. If you can pull it away from the patch, there's no glue. Take it off with a seam ripper and find a tailor shop who can put it back on with the proper stitching if you aren't going to make Cosby's redo it.

If the fabric does not pull away, there is some adhesive, but many times it's just a bit of spray mount that will allow the patch to come right off with no residue. The only way to tell is to try, Take the stitches out and grab a corner and give it a tug. If it does not come off, send it to EPS and have them fix it for you. You'll pay for it, but they'll fix it.

Whatever you do, don't listen to an Islanders fan who is trying to trick you into destroying your Rangers jersey by cutting it up.

Whatever you do, don't listen to an Islanders fan who is trying to trick you into destroying your Rangers jersey by cutting it up.

Not to mention the fact that then the sleeve #'s would be reversed. I think we've all learned a lesson: never trust an Islander fan.

;)

I think we've all learned a lesson: never trust an Islander fan.

I thought we all knew that already?

You have to be kidding, right?? Take apart a jersey that is cover stitched and reassemble it? Am I reading The Onion?

Turn the jersey inside out and pinch the fabric behind the patch. If you can pull it away from the patch, there's no glue. Take it off with a seam ripper and find a tailor shop who can put it back on with the proper stitching if you aren't going to make Cosby's redo it.

If the fabric does not pull away, there is some adhesive, but many times it's just a bit of spray mount that will allow the patch to come right off with no residue. The only way to tell is to try, Take the stitches out and grab a corner and give it a tug. If it does not come off, send it to EPS and have them fix it for you. You'll pay for it, but they'll fix it.

SarcasmDetector.jpg

Johnny, LOL!

As per your suggestion from another thread, I had them do up a Starter jersey with the '90's "skinny" font and it came out real nice. Who would've guessed they would've had trouble with a patch (they did the retired numbers in the hem and that was fine)...Josh at EPS said he should be able to do the job.

I called Cosby's and they said they didn't use any glue other than what was on the patch itself. I guess I could send it back to them, but I've had EPS strip another jersey and they did a good job of removing any residue from under the letters/numbers so I think I'm gonna go with them.

Sell it on eBay as a rare jersey mishap

Better than a Green Jofa practice jersey!!!

well im glad they got the liberty letters right for ya. hope you get this all straightened out. i have removed quite a few patches myself with very minimal residue so i dont think you should have too much of a problem with it. Grab a seam ripper on ebay for a few bucks and i promise it'll prove invaluable over time.

• 4 weeks later...

So EPS tells me they can't get the adhesive off and that there is some discloration....awaiting a pic. Any chance elbow grease and some sort of cleanser etc. will do the trick?

Discoloration, on a dark jersey, from a newly-applied patch??? I'd be really curious to see the picture; I can't imagine how that could happen if they said they didn't apply any glue. Sure hope this can be fixed for you...

Discoloration, on a dark jersey, from a newly-applied patch??? I'd be really curious to see the picture; I can't imagine how that could happen if they said they didn't apply any glue. Sure hope this can be fixed for you...

Thanks- apparantly he's not sending me a pic. His response was the only thing you can do it re-apply the patch. I asked for it back without the patch and then I'll post pics.

So here it is- honestly it's better than I envisioned (b/c I envisioned a big white patch shaped mess) but obviously it's not good. And to add insult to injury the retired numbers are sewn in, not screen printed. But if I could get the adhesive off, I'd deal with it for now, worn/discolored spot and all, until I could find another (preferably in a 46).

tumblr_mgnb7qpd6t1rbryi4o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mgnb84qCJP1rbryi4o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mgnb8hHxgp1rbryi4o1_500.jpg

I still think you may want to just go over to cosbys and explain it all to them and see what they say. it's their mistake and I would be suprised If they didn't want to do something for you to make it right. worth a shot anyway.