IIHF Rule 240 f

janne

Has anyone ever seen a national team game worn jersey that actually complies with the IIHF Rulebook rule 240 f? I believe the rule was introduced in 2008 and it certainly is in 2010 edition that can be found at the IIHF website.

240 - Uniforms: "f) In IIHF competitions, each player shall wear his name on the upper portion of the back of his sweater, printed 10cm high, in block capital Roman letters."

10cm high! Exactly the same height requirement as for the sleeve numbers. Yet all the national team gamers I have (Finland & Sweden) seem to have only ca. 7,5 cm high letters in the nameplates. Based on the photos the other countries aren't doing any better...

Yes I posted this rule back in 2008 during discussions about the throwback jerseys used in Halifax/Quebec City. The big issue is Roman lettering. That's why Cyrillic lettering couldn't be used, as some said they would have liked to see on the Russian jerseys.

Yes, the throwback jerseys are one side to the story. Most of them were NNOB so I believe IIHF can approve exceptions case by case when necessary.

However, I don't think I've ever seen even a single "regular" jersey that complies with the 10cm (4") height requirement of the letters. The rule has been valid for over 4 years now so it would be nice to know if some country has had success in complying with this rule.

Some of the European Hockey Tour jerseys have names on the bottom as well. Actually, is the EHT even governed by the IIHF?