Penguins one step closer...

to leaving Pittsburgh.

It's looking like Kansas City might be gaining a hockey team next year.

Not good, I may have to bust out my scouts jersey sooner rather than later.

The thing I've been wondering is if they do move, will they still be the Penguins? I know usually teams change names when ownership changes hands but since that's not happening here, maybe they'll just be the Kansas City Penguins? I don't know...it just sounds weird.

The thing I've been wondering is if they do move, will they still be the Penguins? I know usually teams change names when ownership changes hands but since that's not happening here, maybe they'll just be the Kansas City Penguins? I don't know...it just sounds weird.

That does sound bad hopefully they will change it if they mover there. Scouts sounds good if they can use it.

That does sound bad hopefully they will change it if they mover there. Scouts sounds good if they can use it.

Works for me, I have both Scouts jerseys. B)

The NHL would have to realign, which we kicked around months ago. If they do move to KC, I say send the Penguins to the Central, Nashville to the Southeast and Washington to the Atlantic. The I-70 rivalry would come to the NHL.

The NHL would have to realign, which we kicked around months ago. If they do move to KC, I say send the Penguins to the Central, Nashville to the Southeast and Washington to the Atlantic. The I-70 rivalry would come to the NHL.

Bingo. It seems to make the most sense. Althought, I'm hearing rumors that Detroit might get the option to come into the Eastern Conference since they're Original Six. So how do you realign then? Let's see...

Atlantic

Boston

New Jersey

New York I.

New York R.

Philadelphia

Northeast

Buffalo

Detroit

Montreal

Ottawa

Toronto

Southeast

Atlanta

Carolina

Florida

Tampa Bay

Washington

Central

Chicago

Columbus

Kansas City

Nashville

St. Louis

Northwest

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Minnesota

Vancouver

Pacific

Anaheim

Dallas

Los Angeles

Phoenix

San Jose

Eh...works for me.

I would love it if Detroit moved to the East. Chicago would be the only Original Six team in the West.

Then there's this AP snippet...

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Penguins owner Ron Burkle traveled to Las Vegas on Wednesday to meet with the mayor and discuss the possibility of relocating the team there.

Burkle, who lives in Los Angeles, led a delegation in talks with Las Vegas Mayor Oscar B. Goodman, according to Penguins spokesman Tom McMillan.

Meanwhile, Burkle and co-owner Mario Lemieux all prepared to meet with state, county and local officials on Thursday in Philadelphia to try to resolve differences over plans for a new arena in Pittsburgh.

Elena Owens, a spokeswoman for Goodman, confirmed the meeting with Penguins officials and said, "they had a very pleasant conversation." She declined to elaborate.

Before you plan a Las Vegas-based realignment, I'll say that I doubt they'll go to Vegas, there's no NHL-ready venue and those with ice-making facilities can barely handle a minor league team. I've been to games at all three of these. The Orleans Arena (ECHL Wranglers' home) is a 'barn', but a nice barn. When the IHL Thunder played at the Thomas & Mack Center, the neutral zone was shrunk almost halfway because there was barely room for a rink. The MGM Grand Garden Arena would be like America West Arena, with an end of no seats, even though the rest is OK. MGM's arena would need massive renovation to make it NHL-friendly and profitable for the Penguins. Las Vegas has many, many more ways to make money than house a pro sports team.

Kansas City is looking like a better and better option, but I don't know, the whole free rent offer sounds too good to be true.

I would love it if Detroit moved to the East. Chicago would be the only Original Six team in the West.

Then there's this AP snippet...

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Penguins owner Ron Burkle traveled to Las Vegas on Wednesday to meet with the mayor and discuss the possibility of relocating the team there.

Burkle, who lives in Los Angeles, led a delegation in talks with Las Vegas Mayor Oscar B. Goodman, according to Penguins spokesman Tom McMillan.

Meanwhile, Burkle and co-owner Mario Lemieux all prepared to meet with state, county and local officials on Thursday in Philadelphia to try to resolve differences over plans for a new arena in Pittsburgh.

Elena Owens, a spokeswoman for Goodman, confirmed the meeting with Penguins officials and said, "they had a very pleasant conversation." She declined to elaborate.

Before you plan a Las Vegas-based realignment, I'll say that I doubt they'll go to Vegas, there's no NHL-ready venue and those with ice-making facilities can barely handle a minor league team. I've been to games at all three of these. The Orleans Arena (ECHL Wranglers' home) is a 'barn', but a nice barn. When the IHL Thunder played at the Thomas & Mack Center, the neutral zone was shrunk almost halfway because there was barely room for a rink. The MGM Grand Garden Arena would be like America West Arena, with an end of no seats, even though the rest is OK. MGM's arena would need massive renovation to make it NHL-friendly and profitable for the Penguins. Las Vegas has many, many more ways to make money than house a pro sports team.

Kansas City is looking like a better and better option, but I don't know, the whole free rent offer sounds too good to be true.

Sadly, I think Vegas would be a great option for the Pens if they move (knocking on wood that they don't). They have several stars on the team in a true national market and the corporate support for the team would be incredible. It would be a no brainer pr wise for the league to have a team in Vegas but not at the expense of Pittsburgh.

I realy hope that dosnt happen,I could not get used to calling them the kanas city penguins,

I hope bettman can save this team and keep it In one of the most popular hockey markets

around.

Speaking as someone who grew up with Mario and co. completely dominating the Rangers in the late 80's and early 90's, I for one will NOT be sad to see Pittsburgh go. Honestly, they're one of the franchises that I really hate and I wouldn't mind at all seeing them in a different conference. It's unfortunate from a hockey standpoint since it seems like that's all they have in that city nowadays but I just can't get past the fan in me. So long Pens!