Fort Wayne Komets gamer

LouMarcon

I picked up this 2001-02 Fort Wayne Komets home gamer on ebay last week.

I've stayed away from gamers due to their cost, but this one was just too reasonably priced to pass up. I won it for a lot less than I've paid for several of my replicas. For what it's worth, the seller from Indiana said he bought this one at the team's end-of-the-season auction.

It's made by Athletic Knit of Toronto, who also makes the replicas sold by the Komets and Komet Kuarters, the sporting goods outlet in Fort Wayne.

2001-02 was a truly forgettable season for Fort Wayne (missed the playoffs) except for the fact that it was the K's 50th anniversary season. No. 10 was of little note, also, journeyman center Chad Grills, who play just one season in Fort Wayne.

It addition to not costing much, I jumped on this one because it is pretty representative of the Komet's jerseys of the past 10 years or so.

The last pix, is of my growing Fort Wayne Komets collection. L-R: 1961-62 replica; 2001-02 gamer; 1966-67 replica.

GrillsFront_zps006d8a4f.jpg

GrillsBack_zps87f14db8.jpg

Grills50_zps8bf2748e.jpg

GrillsThree_zps9b0b82e8.jpg

Lou,

Gamers are the way to go IMO. I used to have a huge replica collection and saw the light. I of course got next to nothing for them even though I had some rare ones. Old Komets shirts are gold and do very well in resales. I've picked up quite a few 80's shirts off of the bay for decent $$ (200-300).

Jimm

Jimm:

I got into this insane hobby a few years ago totally on a lark. At my age I probably should be thinking about what I'm going to do with all of my replicas, which total about two dozen. But, I haven't reached the point where I'm thinking of recouping what I've spent or even making a profit.

With the exception of the Fort Wayne gamer, all of my jerseys would be considered ancient (mostly 1960s) by most who post in here. They are all linked to a period in my life when things were much more simple, ie. before I got married, entered the work-for-a-living rat race full time and became a parent.

Although I had a job (1987-2006) that gave me the opportunity to go to a lot of hockey games (mostly NHL), my interest in hockey jerseys still largely rests in the 1960s of my youth. And since gamers from this era are very difficult to find and extremely expense when you do find one (often 4 figures), I've been satisfied with building a collection of replicas. As I've posted in here before, I enjoy the research of getting as many of the details correct as possible before I go to one vendor to have a custom patch/logo made, and another to construct the base jersey. I enjoy the task of getting it right without costing an arm or a leg.

I also like to wear my replicas when I go to a local hockey game, be it the Penguins, Wheeling Nailers or the Robert Morris University Colonials. I've lost count of the number of times I've been stopped by a fellow collector, young and old, and asked where I got that 1962 blue wool Pittsburgh Hornets or 1960 US Olympic sweaters. When that happens, I know I did something right in putting the jersey together.

Having said all of this, I have no doubt that if the right gamer appears on ebay for the right price, I'll be all over it. But, I'll still continue collecting the replicas, of which I still have 3 or 4 on my radar.

• 6 months later...

Awesome! I have 7 Komets jerseys I will have to post some pictures! I just joined this place right now..

• 2 months later...

{{{{{{{{{ This post is so great and nice }}}}}}}}}}

With the exception of the Fort Wayne gamer, all of my jerseys would be considered ancient (mostly 1960s) by most who post in here. They are all linked to a period in my life when things were much more simple, ie. before I got married, entered the work-for-a-living rat race full time and became a parent